Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would like to build one of these two. I also have a clean-built '59 Lincoln for which I've been trying to think of an interesting project. Hhhmmm...🤔

I really like the Ford, actually. A nice compact set-up. That's the one I would like to build. That's an interesting apparatus on the roof. Some type of cooler? I also noticed it's a right driver. Australian?

tumblr_9f7086f2de7a90733154fed1c2b3b644_31fa0409_1280.jpg.b14693bee430dad5306b6e11f3d6e247.jpg

tumblr_39cb71184118f646802e7ec9fc0cb168_0fca835a_1280.jpg.36bd9cb0486c22a73938612af6061f6e.jpg

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 1

The unit mentioned on the roof of the '59 Ford reminds me of units that used to be seen on some larger trucks and campers that were for an air conditioning system that could also be run while the vehicle was parked. 

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I couldn't imagine trying to tow anything with a 2CV!

Clearly, camping is a pursuit for those not in a hurry. Not necessarily the same story for those poor saps stuck behind it on narrow country roads...

1 hour ago, Bainford said:

Clearly, camping is a pursuit for those not in a hurry. Not necessarily the same story for those poor saps stuck behind it on narrow country roads...

I got stuck behind what we call a static caravan on the road between wick and thurso in caithness in the scottish highlands. Normally it would have been an easy overtake but the caravan was swaying from side to side a lot so i didn't want to take the chance. When it eventually pulled in i found it was being towed by a mk3 ford fiesta and the rear wheels of the car were off the ground. The scariest part was the dutch registration plates

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

This one's been making the rounds on FB.  I'm not sure where this image originated.  A quick reverse Image Search brought up one result, a social media post. 

442428596_10225279427989344_6113415044430997238_n.jpg

Edited by Brian Austin

On one hand this looks like it could be a GM publicity picture from the mid '50's. The leading edge of the hood looks a little too tall for a passenger car.  Could it be a 1/2- or 3/4-ton pickup with a '55 Chevrolet designed front end? 

its got to be photoshop. the lower rear corners and beltline shape is vw camper and the corner glass is pretty much the giveaway. side glass is chevy wagon maybe to fit the front and the top from maybe those chevy boat for your roof that were sometimes advertised.

• Like 1

My thought is that it's A.I., which has been invading the car FB groups to much consternation.

It sure does look like a publicity photo, but, yeah, I've never seen any camper like it.  It has some interesting things going on, such as the trim and the paint color separation at the front fenders.  This design sure stands out among most American campers of the period, which were boxier.

What's going on with the wheels?

17 hours ago, stitchdup said:

its got to be photoshop. the lower rear corners and beltline shape is vw camper and the corner glass is pretty much the giveaway. side glass is chevy wagon maybe to fit the front and the top from maybe those chevy boat for your roof that were sometimes advertised.

Good eye, I see what you're talking about now. 

13 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

My thought is that it's A.I., which has been invading the car FB groups to much consternation.

It sure does look like a publicity photo, but, yeah, I've never seen any camper like it.  It has some interesting things going on, such as the trim and the paint color separation at the front fenders.  This design sure stands out among most American campers of the period, which were boxier.

What's going on with the wheels?

Those wheels remind me of some of the optional wider wheels offered on 4X4 GM pickups and Blazers.