Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix

I got to digging back into some old photos and decided that I should probably post some of these old builds that I probably have not posted before, and if I have, it was a long time ago.

These models are from a far gone era when I was still building minimally, with very few additions and limited detail.

This was back when I was pumping them out, one every few weeks to a couple of months, and when I was still honing many of my paint, foil and general detailing skills.

Even though these models are far from my best efforts, they are representative of the progression of my modeling skills, and in the end, I suppose they should get some exposure and a little love too.

This is a Johan/X-EL 1961 Dodge Dart, and the date on the photos say that they were taken in 2012.

Not as far back as I had anticipated, but I'm pretty confident that the model was built some time prior to that.

Could have been as much as 10 years earlier.

It's become very difficult for me to track time anymore. :P

In any case, it's an old curbside build from a time gone by, so please don't expect much.

My photography skills back then were obviously even worse than my building skills. :P

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Watertown said:

What's with all of the self deprecation?! This is a beautiful build/example of a bygone kit. I'd be proud to have it in my display case any day! Nice work, sir!

My thoughts exactly, Mike. Steve's Photo and building skills were excellent then. No reason for the putting himself down.

• Like 1

Thanks people!

43 minutes ago, Watertown said:

What's with all of the self deprecation?! This is a beautiful build/example of a bygone kit. I'd be proud to have it in my display case any day! Nice work, sir!

37 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

My thoughts exactly, Mike. Steve's Photo and building skills were excellent then. No reason for the putting himself down.

I appreciate that fellas!

I suppose it's just my way of saying that if I were to do it over, I would do a much better job.

You may be interested to know that this particular model has been disassembled and stripped in preparation for a probable upcoming rebuild.

I've always wanted to do one of these oddball Mopars in a full detail configuration, and this is the prime candidate for an all out Dodge Dart D-500 build project.

Hopefully I'll get on it soon.

Steve

• Like 3

It's great to see these old promotional curbside models built up and yours is no exception. The colours are true to the era and over all a clean build. I look forward to seeing It's new make over in the future, well done Steven and thanks for sharing. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

Nicely done, Steve. I get what you are saying about learning curves and honing and sharpening one's modeling skills. Fifty-plus years after I built my last model as a kid (probably around 15 or 16), I decided to recreate a vehicle that played a massive role in my life. It would require more than one relatively expensive vintage model kit. I found a few online and prepared to take on the challenge. But before attempting that, I figured I had better knock the dust off and improve my latent half-century-old modeling skills. So, before the important one, I decided to practice by building the most significant cars in my life, like a famous car introduced the year I was born, the first car I learned to drive, the first car I wrecked, etc. All that reignited my passion for this hobby, which I enjoy more than ever today!

The first take was still much better than anything I'm producing now. Can't wait to see the new version.

I wonder how many of these old JoHan casting molds are still in existence? Would love to see them on the shelves again. 

3 minutes ago, Yeah Nah said:

The first take was still much better than anything I'm producing now. Can't wait to see the new version.

I wonder how many of these old JoHan casting molds are still in existence? Would love to see them on the shelves again. 

I hear the ones that still exist went to testors. I don't know what happened to those though. Wouldn't it be awesome if Round 2 got a hold of them?

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:41 PM, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Excellent work.  Doesn't look like a bad kit at all.  Maybe, they will release it again some day.

I’m not sure who has Johan molds but if anyone does I am with you.  I have long wanted one.  I actually had pretty much just a body and glass and bumpers back in the early 90s. A friend gave it to me and I had plans to Pro/Street it using AMT Pro/Street Super Bee, Road Runner or GTX chassis since I did not have the Johan interior or chassis. I never did so, and I can only guess that I gave the body to my friend who was a huge Mopar fanatic. Boy what I wouldn’t give to have that body now though because it was in pretty nice shape!  Here’s hoping you and I can get one someday soon.