Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 ford coupe

I think that Hobby Lobby may have that kit, I will grab one soon. Iceman makes a couple of dropped front axles for the Revell '32 that will likely fit the '30. I have a long-stalled '32 Coupe that I chopped probably 10 years ago that I have to dig out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

this is the orange I think I'm going to go with. it is tamiya 92 metallic orange. heading to hobby lobby today to pick up a 29 roadster kit as a donor car. forecast is rain so no painting today.

DSC07466.JPG

So I guess we’re putting fenders on it. I totally approve, both the color and the fenders🙂

19 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

this is the orange I think I'm going to go with. it is tamiya 92 metallic orange. heading to hobby lobby today to pick up a 29 roadster kit as a donor car. forecast is rain so no painting today.

DSC07466.JPG

Very nice of  color choice !

23 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I like that orange. I recently did a '32 coupe using a Black Gold orange (Nova Orange IIRC) that came out great. The Model Master Lacquer line has a great orange in it.

thanks Bob, I normally use strictly testors and krylon paints but wanted something brighter than what they offer.

23 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I think that Hobby Lobby may have that kit, I will grab one soon. Iceman makes a couple of dropped front axles for the Revell '32 that will likely fit the '30. I have a long-stalled '32 Coupe that I chopped probably 10 years ago that I have to dig out.

good luck with your builds Bob!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LennyB said:

So I guess we’re putting fenders on it. I totally approve, both the color and the fenders🙂

unfortunately no fenders for this build. these were leftovers from a 32 kit. I like street rods with fenders also. thanks for your input Lenny!

well mega hobby claims you can do 3 car bodies with 1 can of spray paint. what I have pictured took almost 1 full can. I guess it's a good thing I didn't want orange wheels. the tamiya paint layed down nice and even but it sure does smell terrible. I still don't know if I'm going to clear coat it. I have a can of testors wet look lacquer but afraid of mixing brands. I have been working on the engine from the 29 roadster kit that I'm probably going to use in this build. pictures of it later.

DSC07478.JPG

• Like 7

Great looking color. I have never had a bad reaction between a body painted with Tamiya paint and Testors wet look clear. Just make sure that the color coat is dry and apply the clear in light coats. When in doubt just use the Tamiya clear as it is just about as good and responds well to polishing. 

16 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking color. I have never had a bad reaction between a body painted with Tamiya paint and Testors wet look clear. Just make sure that the color coat is dry and apply the clear in light coats. When in doubt just use the Tamiya clear as it is just about as good and responds well to polishing. 

thanks for the info and input David!

this is the engine I'll be using sourced from the 29 roadster kit. along with the slicks and raised rear end it should look more aggressive than built out of the box. still haven't decided whether or not to clear coat the body. 

DSC07480.JPG

DSC07484.JPG

• Like 5

That engine out of the 29 Roadster is going to look nice in the business end Ken.  Nice job man.  If it were me, I'd hit it with some clear.  Just sayin.

I've used the Testors Wet Look clear and Tamiya clear lacquer interchangeably for years. 

Test it on a smaller part that you could paint a different color (since you're out of that orange) if you're still unsure, like the firewall. Or how about one of the spare fenders you tested the orange on?

18 hours ago, Zippi said:

That engine out of the 29 Roadster is going to look nice in the business end Ken.  Nice job man.  If it were me, I'd hit it with some clear.  Just sayin.

thanks for your input Bob!

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

I've used the Testors Wet Look clear and Tamiya clear lacquer interchangeably for years. 

Test it on a smaller part that you could paint a different color (since you're out of that orange) if you're still unsure, like the firewall. Or how about one of the spare fenders you tested the orange on?

thanks for the advice Craig!

I got the engine mounted in the chassis along with the floor pan and the exhausts. on the top side the steering box is done along with the fuel tank and battery. thanks all for the advice.

DSC07485.JPG

DSC07486.JPG

DSC07487.JPG

• Like 1