Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Long Stalled Project Dragged To The Front Of The Bench: '57 Thunderbird Kustom

This project started way back in January of 2014.

A deep dive into the parts box yielded a bunch of bits and pieces for this weird tribute to the show customs of the early 1960's 

IMG_5662-vi.jpg.16a218d12ba5b3e019131d9543de5717.jpg

IMG_5664-vi.jpg.02595315585954dd94fd81cb0dc996b2.jpg

I'm not sure where all the custom parts originated, but a rear Styling piece was narrowed to mate to the cut down T bird quarters, while some add on type fins were mounted to create the cantilever style fins. 

At this point the project was packed away and just kind of forgotten about for several years....

IMG_0559-vi.jpg.ed29aadcc9176627c90123bb0fe86b29.jpg

At some point I dug out the old T bird and cleaned up some of the bodywork before packing it away again 

IMG_9888-vi.jpg.2339e6f15db26108b3d5d718a36c82e5.jpg

IMG_9891-vi.jpg.0804cdc4675a5e22a8bb3c4f782cfb99.jpg

Another year or so passed and the bodywork received a bit more attention and a final wheel and tire selection was made (Modelhaus '59 Dodge Lancer and no-name white walls).... Once again the project was set aside for a couple of years.

IMG_20240418_100955985_HDR.thumb.jpg.b3504e21c00499fbc54d3f894d7297ce.jpg

IMG_20240421_094222033_HDR.thumb.jpg.d1f15eea475580dabd413075fcf1e71b.jpg

IMG_20240421_094201182_HDR.thumb.jpg.596eeb334db776c2e2a701f2dc2fea17.jpg

Which brings me to now.... A couple of days ago I dug out the T-bird again and started cutting up the kit hood so that I could splice in a custom Corvette hood with a scoop.

IMG_20240422_171310329.thumb.jpg.aa552296b746f29d0be4fba64d63fc73.jpg

I need to pick up some fresh Bondo to do the necessary filling (mine had gone bad)... Not sure if I will stick with the half Carson top. Toyed with using a bubble top, but to me that looked a bit too Predicta like.

While I realize that this isn't a lot of people's cup of tea, I'm hoping that at least a few might relate to where I'm going with this.

Edited by NitroMarty
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, NitroMarty said:

While I realize that this isn't a lot of people's cup of tea, I'm hoping that at least a few might relate to where I'm going with this.

I’d drink that tea all day long…GREAT looking project!  I’ll be following along!

• Like 1

Stalled project from 2014.... those are rookie numbers! Seriously, the car looks great. I could build for a solid 3 years if I unearthed all of my stalled projects. I have some going back to 2000.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Stalled project from 2014.... those are rookie numbers! Seriously, the car looks great. I could build for a solid 3 years if I unearthed all of my stalled projects. I have some going back to 2000.

Oh, don't I know it... I have a couple of projects tucked away, that date back to the late 1980's/early 1990's... The problem is that my mind conceives new project ideas much faster than I can actually make them happen.

• Like 2

I like the look of this and that rear piece looks very familiar to me but I can't place it. Thinking maybe AMT 57 Fairlane. Not sure about the roof. Maybe if you chromed the front edge and mimicked that same center peak with the windshield frame. 🤔

• Like 1

First off Marty, I'm glad you are bringing this one back to the bench again. You keep teasing us with it at KKIM when it shows up on the tables. It deserves to get finished.

That being said, I love everything about it, with the exception of the new hood scoop. But digging the Corvette bumps

And the top has to stay!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

3 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

That being said, I love everything about it, with the exception of the new hood scoop. But digging the Corvette bumps

Funny you should say that, as after grafting the two hoods, I am now rethinking the scoop as looking a bit too "racey"...

I may cut it off and try a more stylized scoop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LennyB said:

I like the look of this and that rear piece looks very familiar to me but I can't place it. Thinking maybe AMT 57 Fairlane. Not sure about the roof. Maybe if you chromed the front edge and mimicked that same center peak with the windshield frame. 🤔

The roof is 50 ford conv. The rear is driving me crazy I've seen it before but can't place it !!!

Just now, milo1303s said:

The roof is 50 ford conv. The rear is driving me crazy I've seen it before but can't place it !!!

I'm thinking it may be an early 60's Falcon Styline piece... 

I narrowed it about 1/8 inch.

32 minutes ago, NitroMarty said:

I'm thinking it may be an early 60's Falcon Styline piece... 

I narrowed it about 1/8 inch.

I think that might be it. Here's a screen shot from ebay and it looks just like it but it might also be the front end custom part. I'm not 100% sure though.Screenshot_20240423_184611_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c85bbd8173b773b2f61ed2b0df9649a9.jpg

15 hours ago, NitroMarty said:

Funny you should say that, as after grafting the two hoods, I am now rethinking the scoop as looking a bit too "racey"...

I may cut it off and try a more stylized scoop.

I like the scoop. I have (yet another stalled project..) and I grafted a scoop from a '66-ish T-Bird onto a Mercury hood. That comes with a chrome piece for the front of the scoop that sets it off.

Very interesting car. May not be my cup of tea as you say but it is your cup of tea. That is all that maters.

The fins are cool and a nice touch. When looking at a good custom like this you can always get more ideas for your own projects. 

• Like 1