Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Kenworth W925 Coke

As seen in MCM # 223.

This is AMT's Kenworth W925. 

I've done a couple of these now, and as I said in the article, I like this kit, even though it's ancient and the molds are obviously getting tired. 

I upgraded the truck with some 3D printed wheels & tires, headache rack, mudflaps, and horns.

Also added aluminum pipe for the stacks. Made them taller than the kit parts, and slightly wider diameter.

The steer tires are definitely larger than stock, as I think it just looks better that way. Rears are slightly wider, but not by much. I think the tread patterns on both look much better.

Each front wheel consists of the rim, brake drum/hub, and 10 lug nuts. Rears are just one piece, but look so much better than the kit wheels

I didn't do anything special with the engine, because I never display these with engine showing anyway.

I tried a few different front bumpers, but wasn't happy with how any of them turned out. Same for the grille. 

Paint is Tamiya Bright Red over Tamiya pink primer. Chrome is a Duplicolor Chrome spray. Turns out more like a bright aluminum finish, which I quite like. I use this paint a lot.

Now I just need to get around to building the matching trailer. 

20231204_184634.jpg

20231204_184802.jpg

20231204_184647.jpg

20231022_105635.jpg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Kenworth.  This version has the spring suspension, right?  I like that headache rack.

Yeah, springs on this one. The very earliest versions had the torsion bar rear end, and i built that version a few years ago. Wasn't as tricky as people said it would be.

I like how the headache rack turned out.

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Yeah, springs on this one. The very earliest versions had the torsion bar rear end, and i built that version a few years ago. Wasn't as tricky as people said it would be.

I like how the headache rack turned out.

AMT changed the kit, but never changed the box.  A spring suspension truck is a W923.

Did you design the headache rack?

On 4/25/2024 at 3:57 AM, Jim B said:

AMT changed the kit, but never changed the box.  A spring suspension truck is a W923.

Did you design the headache rack?

Yes, they didn't change the chassis designation when they changed suspension.
Both the W925 and K123 kits got the same Hendrickson RTE 3 hanger walking beam suspension about the same time, so when the W925 originally came out the designation was correct but the K123 was wrong as both had torsion bars, now it's the other way around since both has walking beam, the W925 is wrong and the K123 is correct.

Edited by Force
  • Like 1

Beautiful build. When I worked for Coca Cola, we drove these particular trucks when running bulk. That was pretty much dropping off pallets of product at big stores. Gotta get that trailer done now. Nice job!

On 4/24/2024 at 1:07 PM, iamsuperdan said:

As seen in MCM # 223.

This is AMT's Kenworth W925. 

I've done a couple of these now, and as I said in the article, I like this kit, even though it's ancient and the molds are obviously getting tired. 

I upgraded the truck with some 3D printed wheels & tires, headache rack, mudflaps, and horns.

Also added aluminum pipe for the stacks. Made them taller than the kit parts, and slightly wider diameter.

The steer tires are definitely larger than stock, as I think it just looks better that way. Rears are slightly wider, but not by much. I think the tread patterns on both look much better.

Each front wheel consists of the rim, brake drum/hub, and 10 lug nuts. Rears are just one piece, but look so much better than the kit wheels

I didn't do anything special with the engine, because I never display these with engine showing anyway.

I tried a few different front bumpers, but wasn't happy with how any of them turned out. Same for the grille. 

Paint is Tamiya Bright Red over Tamiya pink primer. Chrome is a Duplicolor Chrome spray. Turns out more like a bright aluminum finish, which I quite like. I use this paint a lot.

Now I just need to get around to building the matching trailer. 

20231204_184634.jpg

20231204_184802.jpg

20231204_184647.jpg

20231022_105635.jpg

How difficult are the mirrors to assemble? Have the Alaskan Hauler kit and the mirrors concern me. Not Autocar mirrors concern, but concern just the same.

14 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

How difficult are the mirrors to assemble? Have the Alaskan Hauler kit and the mirrors concern me. Not Autocar mirrors concern, but concern just the same.

They're fiddly for sure. I laid the cab on it's side and just took it very slowly. Did each mirror separately, piece by piece, and used CA glue for a quicker and stronger hold.

15 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

They're fiddly for sure. I laid the cab on it's side and just took it very slowly. Did each mirror separately, piece by piece, and used CA glue for a quicker and stronger hold.

Dan good morning, and hope all is well. Thank you for your reply. At this point I am still till torn on if I am building it as the Alaskan Hauler, or a standard issue W925. I also have contemplated using the Revell USA W900 Aerodyne mirrors, in place of the kit ones. I think that I would just have to modify the mirror by snipping off the turn signal on the bottom. Also I have a favor to ask. Would you mind taking a closeup photo of each mirror so I can see the actual area where you attached the mirrors and their positioning in proximity to the windshield? Thank you.

3 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

Dan good morning, and hope all is well. Thank you for your reply. At this point I am still till torn on if I am building it as the Alaskan Hauler, or a standard issue W925. I also have contemplated using the Revell USA W900 Aerodyne mirrors, in place of the kit ones. I think that I would just have to modify the mirror by snipping off the turn signal on the bottom. Also I have a favor to ask. Would you mind taking a closeup photo of each mirror so I can see the actual area where you attached the mirrors and their positioning in proximity to the windshield? Thank you.

Sure, I can do that. 👍