Model Cars Magazine Forum

HQ Holden Kingswood 1972 ATCC

Hi guys here's another new one.

No this isn't an escapee from the MAD MAX movie set it is a real beast that graced our race tracks in 1972. It was built with many design philosophies from Formula 5000  as well as being powered by a Repco Holden F5000 308ci engine. It was too under powered against the well sorted 350's and 351's but due to the open wheeler style suspension setup it handled well enough to snare a couple of podiums during the 1972 championship season.

It's the Kingswood kit from DDA with my own 3d printed wheels and tyres, brake ducts, seats, pedals, gearstick and exhaust pipes. The flares were made from Apoxie sculpt and the decals were printed by Custom Hobby Decals from my own artwork.

The bumpers and wheels are painted with SMS Hyperchrome and the orange paint is a custom Tamiya mix and the black stripes are also painted.

GCi23c.png
jXE2A7.jpg
9bY6kn.jpg
bEqPoj.jpg
UnpYC3.jpg
0O1HuS.jpg
R699ft.jpg
s5Fzbx.jpg
63ypfy.jpg
uQSRv0.jpg

The kit went together well and the only issues I had were self inflicted.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

ShawnS

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Yeah Nah said:

Brilliant job all round Shawn; especially paint and decals. Super accurate repros on the graphics.

Thank you Gary.

I spend a LOT of time on the drawing of the graphics. I'm a terrible font Nazi so I set high standards for myself when I do the graphics. (incoming rant)I just wish that the guys who do the graphics for the touring car restorations here in Aus had the same attitude as there are some brilliant restorations with some very lazily done graphics. (rant over)

Thanks everybody I'm glad you all like it.

CheersSS

• Like 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:13 PM, ShawnS said:

Thank you Gary.

I spend a LOT of time on the drawing of the graphics. I'm a terrible font Nazi so I set high standards for myself when I do the graphics. (incoming rant)I just wish that the guys who do the graphics for the touring car restorations here in Aus had the same attitude as there are some brilliant restorations with some very lazily done graphics. (rant over)

Thanks everybody I'm glad you all like it.

CheersSS

Oh man - I 100% agree with this rant and it aslo drives me nuts! DJR Mustang is the perfect example of this.