Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Pantera with custom paint.

vamach1

Posted (edited)

I grabbed this kit out of storage about a week ago and may have set a record for the fastest build I have done in years.  It is a very basic curbside kit painted with Rustoleum color shift spray paint sold at Hobby Lobby.  The recommended base coat of black was sprayed on and wet sanded and the enough coats of the Color Shift paint was sprayed on until it looked just right.  It’s a curbside kit so no engine and the interior is very basic but I did detail the dash and added decals for the gauges.  The only other colors I used were brown, flat black, silver, metallic red and orange, and blue and white for the DeTomaso wheels center caps.  The purple and blue paint came out nice without having to add any clear.  Total build time was about six hours over four days.

IMG_2332.jpeg

IMG_2334.jpeg

IMG_2335.jpeg

IMG_2336.jpeg

Edited by vamach1
Build time
  • Like 7

Now that is what I call purple.  That finish is quite dazzeling. I have used those color shift finishes and they are difficult to get right, but you have nailed this one Rex. Sometimes the quick builds turn out the best.  

Came out great Rex, and I too love the purple paint. I am also really impressed with the finish on the rims. Were they silver right out of the box, or did you paint those as well? They are a perfect brushed stainless steel look.

2 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Came out great Rex, and I too love the purple paint. I am also really impressed with the finish on the rims. Were they silver right out of the box, or did you paint those as well? They are a perfect brushed stainless steel look.

Thanks.  The wheels need minimal touch up but for a decades old Japanese ARII motorized kit the finish was very good.

IMG_2362.jpeg

• Like 1