Model Cars Magazine Forum

'82 Third Gen "Mullet Mobile" Z-28

Hello again friends! Once again, I have a very old build from my collection to showcase while current projects are coming together on my workbench. I originally built this kit back in 1982 when MPC put it out, and being a high school kid with lack luster modeling skills at the time produced some...let's say very interesting models, but I'm sure I wasn't the only one, lol! At any rate, I decided years later to revisit and rebuild some kits of my youth in an attempt to right the many mistakes and building blunders I had on my way to hopefully becoming a better model builder. I came across this particular kit at a garage sale some 25 plus years ago, and decided this would be the beginning build of eventually many that I would make right...finally. Built in '99, I decided to copy the original exterior/interior colors I chose back while in high school from my original build, paying attention to details, and adding other subtle details such as the window filler triangles behind the mirrors on the "A" pillars, some styrene strips to replicate the side window rear weatherstrips at the "B" pillars. Added the "blackout" surrounds on the front windshield and rear hatch window, detailed the interior with the period correct black instrument panel and side door arm rest and door details, along with the center console. '82 was the last year GM used corporate engine blue on their engines, so as I had some on hand that's what I used. The model as you can see was otherwise built box stock, and I feel even today that MPC really nailed the overall look of the then newly redesigned Camaro. We Gen X people remember these cars well, as they were absolutely everywhere back then...uh, just like that infamous mullet hair style was too, lol! Thanks for looking.

2024-05-05 17.37.01.jpg

2024-05-05 17.27.51.jpg

2024-05-05 17.29.37.jpg

2024-05-05 17.31.42.jpg

2024-05-05 17.34.11.jpg

2024-05-05 17.25.55.jpg

• Like 17

You nailed it man! This was the car that could make you a legend back in the day. I was in a Ford family and Dad bought a Mustang GT, but secretly I wanted the Z.

• Like 1