Model Cars Magazine Forum

HAVE YOU EVER SPILLED SUMTHIN AT THE WORKBENCH....?

Posted (edited)

Well I have. I'm always tryin to find ways to further idiot-proof my workspace so while playin website roulette on the internet I found these goodies on a website called "Jeff Did It" (also on Amazon and Esty with the same seller name).

I'm pretty impressed, the stuff is 3d printed in various colors with rubber feet on the bottom. They have holders fer all kinds of hobby type bottles.

20240507_171405.jpg

20240507_170939.jpg

Edited by Mothersworry
  • Like 4

I usually glue a base of scrap plastic to the bottom of anything spillable. It works pretty well. Once just after Xmas, I spilled a bottle of zip-kicker onto the dining room table cloth... it was plastic and the kicker ate a big hole in it. Good thing the wife was not home...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mothersworry said:

I'm always tryin to find ways to further idiot-proof my workspace...

Here's my tip; Don't leave the stir stick in the bottle of paint whilst reaching across the bench for a pipette.

I find the easiest way to idiot-proof my workspace is for the idiot to just not enter it. Accidents only happen when I'm there. Coincidence...? I think not.

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bobss396 said:

I usually glue a base of scrap plastic to the bottom of anything spillable. It works pretty well. Once just after Xmas, I spilled a bottle of zip-kicker onto the dining room table cloth... it was plastic and the kicker ate a big hole in it. Good thing the wife was not home...

Table cloth and a bowl of roses over the hole?:D

Edited by Bainford
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bobss396 said:

Once just after Xmas, I spilled a bottle of zip-kicker onto the dining room table cloth... it was plastic and the kicker ate a big hole in it. Good thing the wife was not home...

Yeah, Zip-Kicker is acetone-based so it can do nasty things to plastic and paints.  I have ditched it in favor of BSI (Bob Smith Industries) CA accelerator. It uses a mild solvent which does not attack plastic, and is fairly low-odor with maybe even a somewhat pleasant smell.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 3:38 PM, peteski said:

Yeah, Zip-Kicker is acetone-based so it can do nasty things to plastic and paints.  I have ditched it in favor of BSI (Bob Smith Industries) CA accelerator. It uses a mild solvent which does not attack plastic, and is fairly low-odor with maybe even a somewhat pleasant smell.

Have you had any issues with the little white disc thing coming out of the spray nozzle? Or it just not misting anymore and basically shooting a stream out?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Keef said:

Have you had any issues with the little white disc thing coming out of the spray nozzle? Or it just not misting anymore and basically shooting a stream out?

I never ever spray the accelerator.  Yes, I know they come with sprayers, but it is like trying to put out a match with a fire hose!  In our application we deal with very small glue areas (like a size of a pin head, or a long thin glue bead).  Soaking the surrounding area with accelerator seems totally unnecessary,  and a waste of accelerator.

CA_Glue_applicatiors02.jpg

I use small glass dental mixing cups which have small depression in them.  I deposit a pool of CA glue in the one covered with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning). I also unscrew the spray cap for the accelerator and using a pipette I deposit a small amount in the other cup.  That usually lasts me entire modeling session.

CA_applicators.jpg

I apply tiny amounts of CA using home-made applicators made from sewing needles, and I apply the accelerator using Micro Brushes.  I don't actually touch the brush loaded with the accelerator to the liquid CA glue but touch to the surface next to it.  The accelerator spreads out by itself, and meets the liquid CA setting it quickly. If I end up touching the Micro Brush to the glue, it can clog up. if it's not fully clogged, I keep using it. When it becomes unusable, I just toss it and get a new brush (they not very expensive).  That precision application gives me nice clean glue joints.

Edited by peteski
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, peteski said:

I never ever spray the accelerator.  Yes, I know they come with sprayers, but it is like trying to put put a match with a fire hose!  In our application we deal with very small glue areas (like a size of a pin head, or a long thin glue bead).  Soaking the surrounding area with accelerator seems totally unnecessary,  and a waste of accelerator.

I use small glass dental mixing cups which have small depressions in them.  I deposit a pool of CA glue in the one covered with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning). I also unscrew the spray cap for the accelerator and using a pipette I deposit a small amount in the other cup.  That usually lasts me entire modeling session.

CA_applicators.jpg

I apply tiny amounts of CA using home-made applicators made from sewing needles, and I apply the accelerator using Micro Brushes.  I don't actually touch the brush loaded with the accelerator to the liquid CA glue but touch to the surface next to it.  The accelerator spreads out by itself, and meets the liquid CA setting it quickly. If I end up touching the Micro Brush to the glue, it can clogs up. if it is not fully clogged, I keep using it. when it becomes unusable, I just toss it and get a new bussh (they not very expensive).  That precision application gives me nice clean glue joints.

Thank you for the advice and information. I’m going to start doing that on my builds. I’ve just been doing the spray/wipe/cuss/repeat method for years 😂🤣

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 2:27 PM, peteski said:

I never ever spray the accelerator.  Yes, I know they come with sprayers, but it is like trying to put out a match with a fire hose!  In our application we deal with very small glue areas (like a size of a pin head, or a long thin glue bead).  Soaking the surrounding area with accelerator seems totally unnecessary,  and a waste of accelerator.

I use small glass dental mixing cups which have small depression in them.  I deposit a pool of CA glue in the one covered with aluminum foil (for ease of cleaning). I also unscrew the spray cap for the accelerator and using a pipette I deposit a small amount in the other cup.  That usually lasts me entire modeling session.

CA_applicators.jpg

I apply tiny amounts of CA using home-made applicators made from sewing needles, and I apply the accelerator using Micro Brushes.  I don't actually touch the brush loaded with the accelerator to the liquid CA glue but touch to the surface next to it.  The accelerator spreads out by itself, and meets the liquid CA setting it quickly. If I end up touching the Micro Brush to the glue, it can clog up. if it's not fully clogged, I keep using it. When it becomes unusable, I just toss it and get a new brush (they not very expensive).  That precision application gives me nice clean glue joints.

I went to my local Dollar Tree store the other day looking for random stuff and stumbled upon a 2 pack of small glass bottles with squeeze dropper lids. I poured my remaining accelerator into the bottle and removed the glass dropper part.

I also purchased some of the micro brushes at HL and during my Saturday morning coffee/piddling session I did as you suggested and I was amazed at how much better the results were. So thank you again for the advice 🍻 

Yup, recently dumped a nearly full bottle of BSI Accelerator  across the work bench!  As said, I never spray the stuff, but I removed the lid and there is just enough liquid on the bottom of the plunger tube to work for me.  I didn't even know when I hit the bottle, just all of a sudden the bench was all wet. I mopped up what I could with paper towels and left the craft paper that covers the bench wet.  By next day it was all dry.  My workbench is an old hollow core door covered with brown paper.

I once dropped a bottle of beer into an interior tub. 

18 hours ago, Keef said:

I also purchased some of the micro brushes at HL and during my Saturday morning coffee/piddling session I did as you suggested and I was amazed at how much better the results were. So thank you again for the advice

You're welcome Keith.

4 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Just wondering if you held in a cell for 48 hours....🤭🫣🤭🤣😂

Not quite, but the knurling in the handles of my xacto knives and mechanical pencils still makes it look like someone got stabbed with them.