Model Cars Magazine Forum

Back to the Future Delorean - Part I

I always wanted this kit, but newer got one, untill I saw the new Aoshima. The quality of the kit is great, the doors open, and the molding is super clean. Another cool thing is that they sell direct from the US now! 
IMG_7015.thumb.JPG.7c5d4d72f22f6c8ba6ff49510aad3fcc.JPG

IMG_7016.thumb.JPG.3cd8cf792a58d2450685439c1ca691c0.JPG

• Like 3

Nice! I'll be interested in seeing how you do the brushed stainless steel body. I wonder if you could cover the whole body in BMF then lightly sand it with a finer grit sand paper.

19 hours ago, deuces wild said:

Love those movies!....😎👍

Mee too! Pretty fun movie to watch.

13 hours ago, H.A.K said:

Cant wait to see updates

It's going to take a while, I have a commission build to do first... 

13 hours ago, David G. said:

I built the Polar Lights version a few years ago so I'm interested in seeing how this one builds up.

David G.

I always wanted to build one, but never got the chance. One time I got a snap kit, I don't remember almost build it, but after I donated to a kid.

12 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Nice! I'll be interested in seeing how you do the brushed stainless steel body. I wonder if you could cover the whole body in BMF then lightly sand it with a finer grit sand paper.

I was thinking that too. Mayne paint the front and rear since they seems different color on the original car.

4 hours ago, espo said:

The body portion looks well done. 

Overall looks pretty good.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

I'm thinking that would be a ton of work with BMF and potentially peel away from the body.

Just a thought, not sure how the result would be but I was thinking that once you remove the seams and clean up the body...perhaps sand the body in the direction of the brushed aluminum marks on the real Delorean with a 200, 400 or maybe even a 600 grit sand paper then lightly prime it and paint it with Alclad aluminum (or some other aluminum color paint).

You'd replicate the brushed aluminum texture/color and possibly come close to the real deal.

I would try it on a spare/scrap body or hood from any other kit (not necessarily a Delorean kit) first before screwing up the Delorean.  Try all 3 grits on separate parts of another scrap body to see what best replicates the original in scale.

I'm just sayin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDSchindler said:

I'm thinking that would be a ton of work with BMF and potentially peel away from the body.

Just a thought, not sure how the result would be but I was thinking that once you remove the seams and clean up the body...perhaps sand the body in the direction of the brushed aluminum marks on the real Delorean with a 200, 400 or maybe even a 600 grit sand paper then lightly prime it and paint it with Alclad aluminum (or some other aluminum color paint).

You'd replicate the brushed aluminum texture/color and possibly come close to the real deal.

I would try it on a spare/scrap body or hood from any other kit (not necessarily a Delorean kit) first before screwing up the Delorean.  Try all 3 grits on separate parts of another scrap body to see what best replicates the original in scale.

I'm just sayin!

Good point. I prefer paint it as well. I will do some testing for sure. 
For now I'll put on stand by, I have a commission model to build...

57 minutes ago, Edward Gore said:

Following this build for sure!

Is going to take a while... :) I have anothe project to do.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 5:53 PM, Brizio said:

Mee too! Pretty fun movie to watch.

It's going to take a while, I have a commission build to do first... 

I always wanted to build one, but never got the chance. One time I got a snap kit, I don't remember almost build it, but after I donated to a kid.

I was thinking that too. Mayne paint the front and rear since they seems different color on the original car.

Overall looks pretty good.

If you're interested Fabrizio, I did a WIP thread on it when I built it. I made some upgrades to the Polar Lights snap kit.

Here's a link if you'd like to see what I did.

9 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I just did a brushed stainless look on a project with BMF…worked ok - that’s what I’m planning to do when I get around to building the various Deloreans I have here…

IMG_0993.thumb.jpeg.ee3407cedd5dd6771c9a3678b8593c46.jpegIMG_0996.thumb.jpeg.4a6a20b3fa27a2124e2e620a3625f4d1.jpeg

That's a great idea Jim. I'll have to keep it in mind for future use.

David G.

12 hours ago, David G. said:

If you're interested Fabrizio, I did a WIP thread on it when I built it. I made some upgrades to the Polar Lights snap kit.

Here's a link if you'd like to see what I did.

That's a great idea Jim. I'll have to keep it in mind for future use.

David G.

I will take a look, thank you David!