Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chop or Not?

Roy's Hot Rods

Oh, and are you the Roy Sorenson that Gregg bought the Plastic Fanatic from? And turned it into the BEST Model Car Magazine on the PLANET!!!?????? :D

That's funny, I thought it was already the "BEST model car magazine on the planet", BEFORE Gregg bought it! :unsure: LOL! Yep it's me. I'm getting back into the hobby after about a five year hiatus.

I'd say don't chop it. It sits nicely as is. The open look of the greenhouse complements the big wheels and the long nose. Chopping it will probably make it look squashed. But I guess I'm the only one....

I'm with gbk1. I think it will look squashed. The whole greenhouse seems too short to look good chopped with the large section removed. It looks like 4 to 6 scale inches. If you absolutely must chop it, I would do so minimally - maybe an inch. Personally, I'd lean more towards a roadster/convertible job, and remove the top, but that wasn't presented as an option.

Edit:

I just went out to your link (after the fact), and saw why a roadster wasn't an option. I'll stick with no or absolute minimum chop.

Edited by SSNJim

I go with the minimal, or even no chop crowd. Depends what kind of look you like. I rather like sectioned, full greenhouse cars.

And, nice to see ya around again Roy. :)

And, looked at your web page and gallery's after posting this. Your 3D car meshes look great , especially the engines. There's just not enough 3D engines around! ;) I've been fascinated with car meshes since the day 3D Studio came out in '92 and have been collecting them since. I always had too many other things going to create any car meshes from scratch, but have modified and refined many. There's just something magical watching a car render come up all textured and smoothed!! 3D has always been just a hobby for me although I've done proposed building renderings for my consulting business and many objects for Poser artists.

Edited by Foxer

Roy, normally I'd say chop it as stock height builds from my bench are pretty rare. But, after looking at your WIP photos I'd be tempted to leave it the way it is. From the view in this photo it doesn't need anything else but paint!

mochup3-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

BTW, good to have you back hacking and whacking plastic.

Edited by Fletch

Not a radical chop....

Some say "leave it as is"

Others say "A slight chop"

I'm leaning with the second op.

I call it a "Two cut-off wheels in the moto tool" chop.

No matter, she's gonna look sa-weet! :D

Welcome back Roy,

Good to hear from you again, as for the hot rod I like the roadster which normanlly is not my thing. But if you want the top then a slight chop will work fine. You've already started the custom treatment so finish what you start..! As for roadsters, check out my Willys serveral posts below if you have time. It has tons of body mods & you may find an idea or 2 in there...

Hizoot :D

I go with the minimal, or even no chop crowd. Depends what kind of look you like. I rather like sectioned, full greenhouse cars.

And, nice to see ya around again Roy. :mellow:

And, looked at your web page and gallery's after posting this. Your 3D car meshes look great , especially the engines. There's just not enough 3D engines around! :o I've been fascinated with car meshes since the day 3D Studio came out in '92 and have been collecting them since. I always had too many other things going to create any car meshes from scratch, but have modified and refined many. There's just something magical watching a car render come up all textured and smoothed!! 3D has always been just a hobby for me although I've done proposed building renderings for my consulting business and many objects for Poser artists.

Ya, 3D models are great, and take up very little room. Do you have any of your 3D stuff on the web for us to see?