Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your Very First Real Car

:lol: It rubs, it scrapes, it doesn't drag but it definetly vibrates like hell, even before it was lower! :D;)

I make sure to look out for the speedbumps although I could just go full snot and jump them, touring car style ;) and for driveways, ehhh, it's slow, I jsut scrape.

Dang speed bumps! I used to go over speed bumps @ full speed! "No speed bump is going to stop my Jeep!"

Then one day while driving my boss's minivan, I forgot to turn off my attitude!! Hit the Mother Of All Speed Bumps.

Ooops! Cracked windshield! "Don't know how that happened." :P

LBERIGHTBACKAFTERTHESEMESSAGES-th.jpg

My first car was a '68 Plymouth Satellite that I bought when I was 15 years old. It had a 273 2bbl with auto transmission. I turned it into a Road Runner clone and replaced the 273 for a 383 4bbl. I also added a '69 six pack hood. I had a lot of fun with this car, those are the only pics I got of this car;

654ffd95b2.jpg

86f8e583c2.jpg

63cace0bc4.jpg

I made a model of it too;

6eba6421c8.jpg

dbbf303929.jpg

And here's my current toy, a '88 Dodge Daytona C/S with a 2.2l turbo and 5 speed manual transmission. With the boost set at 20psi, it's as powerful as the Road Runner was, but way cheaper on gas! I have as much fun with this little car that I had with the Road Runner.

cce910cb22.jpg

c7ab2e21e7.jpg

I also built a model of this one but I don't like it. I bought another AMT kit of the '88 Daytona and will build a better one later.

I also have have two Neons, one 2001 for the GF, and one 1997, my winter beater. I'm a Mopar nut.

This is my very first ride:

A 1984 Renault Super-5 1.4 GTL with single Solex carb, fun to drive. and quite reliable too. Got wrecked, bought a '87 Corolla, big mistake. After that I basically only had Renault's, but my most fun one is a 1988 Renault Super-5 1.4 GTTurbo

Edited by Erik Olijnsma

This one is a bit of a saga.

Here is the car

1980bugeye-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1958 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite. My Pop had it parked in the backyard for years. My brother worked on it for a bit and made a black plexiglass dash face but lost interest. I started on it when I was 15. It got running and was pretty much original except for a header and a massive webber carb that resulted in instant bog. I proudly drove it in faded red paint and bondo for 6 months. When the transmission finally gave out, Pop suggested putting a rotary drivetrain in it since he was way into those and they could be made really fast. I ported it and we added a 455 Holly, Racing Beat highrise and an header. It was really fast. A faulty hood latch on the front-opening clamshell hood created a freeway disaster that folded the metal hood. Pop came through again with a fiberglass unit that I hinged to open forward. The interior was finished and it got steel flares in back and fiberglass in front.

It was still in primer when I rear ended another car by looking one way and driving another. (She wasn't even that cute.) The fiberglass hood was pulverized. I tore it down and found a crack in the frame. Since my Pop had a muffler shop, I figured why not build a chassis and put in a bigger Wankle. Below is as far as I got. The four link was hung. College slowed work on the car and my Pop told me it was time for it to go. I gave it away.

ScottC-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Fast forward about 25 years. I want to build a 1:1 car. Why not finish the Sprite? I talked to Pop. Within 2 months he found the shell I needed. Good 'Ol Pops! So here it is waiting for more money and time. I did get another fiberglass hood since this picture, but it has really become a spider hotel and general storage center.

side-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This is the plan for the most part. The Wankle is going to be replaced with an EFI small displacement aluminum V8. I think 300 hp would be about all it could handle safely. Maybe 400... Where is Overhaulin' when you need them?

BugeyeSpriteLR-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Scott

My first car was a '68 Plymouth Satellite that I bought when I was 15 years old. It had a 273 2bbl with auto transmission. I turned it into a Road Runner clone and replaced the 273 for a 383 4bbl. I also added a '69 six pack hood. I had a lot of fun with this car, those are the only pics I got of this car;

654ffd95b2.jpg

86f8e583c2.jpg

63cace0bc4.jpg

I made a model of it too;

6eba6421c8.jpg

dbbf303929.jpg

And here's my current toy, a '88 Dodge Daytona C/S with a 2.2l turbo and 5 speed manual transmission. With the boost set at 20psi, it's as powerful as the Road Runner was, but way cheaper on gas! I have as much fun with this little car that I had with the Road Runner.

cce910cb22.jpg

c7ab2e21e7.jpg

I also built a model of this one but I don't like it. I bought another AMT kit of the '88 Daytona and will build a better one later.

I also have have two Neons, one 2001 for the GF, and one 1997, my winter beater. I'm a Mopar nut.

A Daytona C/S, That can't even be as common as your Plymouth was :D I see you relocated you battery to a better location, but I do have to ask, did you add a computer fan to the SMEC module to help keep it cool at low speeds and idle? Had that problem with the underhood computer on the Lebaron a couple times and a ziplock bag of ice worked wonders in a pinch B)

I see you relocated you battery to a better location, but I do have to ask, did you add a computer fan to the SMEC module to help keep it cool at low speeds and idle?

No, I've been running like this with nothing to cool the computer for years with no problems at all...

This is my very first ride:

A 1984 Renault Super-5 1.4 GTL with single Solex carb, fun to drive. and quite reliable too. Got wrecked, bought a '87 Corolla, big mistake. After that I basically only had Renault's, but my most fun one is a 1988 Renault Super-5 1.4 GTTurbo

;) Another sweet one :lol:I'd love to get ahold of one of them. Although, with where your from they are pretty normal. Renault's are good cars.

I think I am mental for being a guy of my age and liking these types of cars. :D

Very cool Bugeye Sprite, Scott! What you need to do is get over to the East coast and take my Bugeye home with you. It'll be a lot easier, and it's needing a new owner! That's NickF40 standing with it (about 10 years ago). ;):D;):lol:

scan0008-1.jpg

Wow, Randy! That's beautiful!! I would hate to cut up such a perfect Sprite. For what I have in mind, the shell I have would be a better start.

Great car. Those must go for a little over 10 Gs in mint condition.

Scott

Yeah, i'd love to have that car! It's been with me my whole life. It's definetly not mint but it's no basket case! It's worth something. I just want to see it go to a good home, it saddens me a bit :rolleyes: The whole car is pretty nicely done for all being at home and it sounds sweet! The engine needs a tune up though. I just love old sports cars! ;) especially BMC ones ^_^

Edited by Nick F40

My first real car was a 1982 Shuv-ette;

9-14-200943431PM.jpg

Typical teenagers first car. Bought it for $500 from a dude who was just looking to get rid of it. Note The Simpsons figurines on the dash board and the Bart Simpson suction cup doll in the quarter window. :) Also had a pimpin' speaker box in the back (made from the finest chipboard and staples).

This is what the better half and I are tinkering with these days, our 1969 Plymouth Fury II-

014-Copy.jpg

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by Albert Moore

Sorry no pix but my first car was a 66 Ford Galaxie 500 2-door hardtop. White with a turquoise interior. 390 with a C6. Cost $500. Bought in 1973 just as the first "oil crisis" started. I thought it was so unfair and horrible when gas jumped up to 50 cents a gallon.......

I'll have to share some current photos of my first car (I just moved and haven't unpacked the old pics yet) though it was nothing like this when I bought it. I originally purchased this car in 1996 when I turned 16. It was a 2.8 V6 automatic. I threw a loud muffler and some big tires on it for my high school ride but always had plans of something more. After I graduated the 2.8 expired so one weekend I tore the car down to a bare shell. I had no other transportation but I didn't let that stop me. I hitched a ride to work for a few days untill I found a cheap beater. After 2 years I got the camaro back on the road and it was now an 11 second car. I was thrilled to say the least. Then I got sucked into the vortex of speed. Fast forward a few years, a few motors, and a bunch of money I now have a mid 8 second car that is still street driven on nice days. Best pass to date 8.44 @ 161 in street trim on drag radials. Sorry for the long post but I've worked so hard to build this car I can talk about it for days.

Here it is in cruiser mode with the parachute off. Cops don't like the chute blocking the license plate. LOL

Aug08005.jpg

At the track. Big wheelstand not the best for ET but looks cool for a picture. This landing was expensive!!!

_MG_2216.jpg

Sorry no pix but my first car was a 66 Ford Galaxie 500 2-door hardtop. White with a turquoise interior. 390 with a C6. Cost $500. Bought in 1973 just as the first "oil crisis" started. I thought it was so unfair and horrible when gas jumped up to 50 cents a gallon.......

We should be so lucky to see 50 cents again.

• 4 months later...

My first car was a 1960 Buick Le Sabre convertible. It was laid up in a garage in Berlin for twelve odd years when I bought it. I'll never forget the 400 mile trip home to southern Bavaria in pouring rain all the way. This was 1983. I then restored the car together with a friend in his parents' driveway/garage. Apparently it is still alive and well, a friend of mine told me he saw it at a meeting last year. If I dig up a photo, I will post it.