Model Cars Magazine Forum

Saving History!

Custom Hearse

I've started working on the old MPC Astrovette kit that I mentioned before. I dismantled the the kit, and found that I was lucky. The body parts were painted, then glued together, so kit came apart easily.

So far I've cleaned up the main body, and gave it a coat of white primer. The rear underside panel needs very little work to it, but the front panel needs a ton of work to correct the kit.

The frame will have to be replaced. There's no way around it. The front fender wells were heavily glued on sideways, along with everything else on the frame, then painted, so the parts have permanently been attached.

Before:

Vette.jpg

After:

IMG_2966.jpg

Nose piece:

IMG_2954.jpg

Nose piece attached:

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2980.jpg

I see a lot of sanding, sheet plastic and filler in my future!

Edited by Custom Hearse

maybe?

but then again it wouldn't be right would it..

I would have been afraid to touch it. You did great!!

I am almost tempted to dig into Model Car World to see if there is anything Dad had that will help you with it....

Worked a little on the hood today. It didn't quite fit, so I sanded the back edge. I just need to add something to the sides to fill in the gaps...

Before:

IMG_2993.jpg

After:

IMG_2998.jpg

The underside rear needs a little work to correct it. The taillights are flush on the 1:1, so I'm gonna fill these in and add new ones...

IMG_2986.jpg

maybe?

but then again it wouldn't be right would it..

I would have been afraid to touch it. You did great!!

I am almost tempted to dig into Model Car World to see if there is anything Dad had that will help you with it....

I think I'll stick to white...

Although it was painted orange at one time...

http://www.corvettes.nl/prototypes/page42/page42.html

Edited by Custom Hearse

Lookin good Marshall. I have one of the original issue Mako Shark kits. I glued it together back in the day and I'm thinkin of trying to restore it one of these days. I lost one part for the hood and then MPC re-issued it as a custom and I have it for parts if I need them. I'm lookin forward to see how yours turns out. Keep the eye candy comin. ;);) Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

I'll be following this, too. I'm glad you decided to restore it.

The taillight issue brings up a question - are you going to restore the model or build an accurate replica of the car? Or both? I would definitely stick with authentic colors.

A graphite gray color would look good on it and fit in with the futuristic theme.

I'd like to keep it white because it would be correct, although Graphite gray sounds like a cool color for a Vette. Maybe I'll use it on the next Corvette I've got planned. ;)

Lookin good Marshall. I have one of the original issue Mako Shark kits. I glued it together back in the day and I'm thinkin of trying to restore it one of these days. I lost one part for the hood and then MPC re-issued it as a custom and I have it for parts if I need them. I'm lookin forward to see how yours turns out. Keep the eye candy comin. :blink:;) Dan

Thanks Dan!

I have the MPC Mako Shark kit(reissue,not original), and a kit that was made from the same kit, but with a different body and interior, that wasn't as well known called the MPC Demon Vette. If it turns out you need pieces for the Mako, let me know.

the would make for a cool build

The Mako Shark?

I'll be following this, too. I'm glad you decided to restore it.

The taillight issue brings up a question - are you going to restore the model or build an accurate replica of the car? Or both? I would definitely stick with authentic colors.

Thanks Jim!

Both. I want to save as much of the original kit, but use today's skills and knowledge to rebuild it. I'd like to rebuild the original frame, but it may not work out as well as I hoped. I know a lot of it will have to be scratchbuilt to fix it...

Bummer about the rear door. Could you post a pic of the Hearse Vette? I don't remember seeing it. I can't wait to see what you do with this rebuild Marshall. Thanks for the offer on parts ifin I need them. Do you have the trailer that came in the kit? I don't know it any of the re-issued kits came with a trailer or not. I can't remember if the re-issued one I have came with the trailer. Old age ya know :lol::lol: Take care Marshall and I'm lookin forward to seeing this one finished. White is a good choice I think. :lol: Dan

Bummer about the rear door. Could you post a pic of the Hearse Vette? I don't remember seeing it. I can't wait to see what you do with this rebuild Marshall. Thanks for the offer on parts ifin I need them. Do you have the trailer that came in the kit? I don't know it any of the re-issued kits came with a trailer or not. I can't remember if the re-issued one I have came with the trailer. Old age ya know :lol::lol: Take care Marshall and I'm lookin forward to seeing this one finished. White is a good choice I think. :blink: Dan

My re-issue didn't come with the trailer :lol: It would've great if it did.

Here's a couple of pics of the "Corpsevette"...

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Thanks for showing the pics Marshall. It does look kinda sharp. I like it. I hope you can redo the rear door. I also like the color. Great build. What parts are you waiting for? I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished. Dan

Edited by 59 Chevy Impala

Thanks Nick! :lol:

I've set this build aside, so that I can restore it properly... By that I mean I have purchased an MPC 1968 Corvette kit, and I'm just waiting for it to arrive...

68vette.jpg

I'll be back on it soon. For now I just put a television "technical difficulty" sign here, and play some elevator music... ;)

Thanks for showing the pics Marshall. It does look kinda sharp. I like it. I hope you can redo the rear door. I also like the color. Great build. What parts are you waiting for? I'm really l;ooking forward to seeing this one finished. Dan

Sorry Dan, I didn't notice you had posted a question...

The new rear door is partially done. I just gotta cut it and shape it, and then add a window to it.

I'm waiting on a kit I bought on Evilbay, that has the original frame and interior.

Thanks Dan!