Model Cars Magazine Forum

1926 Bugatti Type 32

curt raitz

This is a model I've always wanted to build after seeing the real thing in person at Laguna Seca (Monterey Historics) and an article in the first issue of "Model Racing and Replicas Magazine".

Picked up the Monogram Bugatti 35 kit years ago and everything sat on the shelf due to the fact there is about 50 louvers and a 1000 rivets evident on this car.

With one of the themes at the 2010 NNL West being "Racecars", I decided it was time to bite the bullet and build this thing.

Luckily I found a numerous photos of this Bugatti on the internet, which helped a lot.

This is the version I will be building:

bugatti_t32_2-vi.jpg

Here's the article from the magazine:

BugattiType32p7-vi.jpg

BugattiType32p8-vi.jpg

BugattiType32p9-vi.jpg

BugattiType32p10-vi.jpg

BugattiType32p11-vi.jpg

In the 2nd issue of the magazine a reader submitted an update

on the chassis and suspension set up:

BugattiType32p18-vi.jpg

Here are the instructions for making the "louver punch":

BugattiType32p12-vi.jpg

Here's what mine looked like:

bugattitank_3-vi.jpg

Finally found a use for these...gotta hinge the engine bonnett:

bugattitank_4-vi.jpg

Work in progress to follow asap

thanx for lookin' :)

Edited by curt raitz

Being as you can only place 10 photos at a time...here's an update to this build so far:

chassis and floor pan:

bugattitank_1-vi.jpg

body pieces ready for assembly:

bugattitank_2-vi.jpg

louvers punched, pieces glued together...taking shape

bugattitank_5-vi.jpg

bugattitank_6-vi.jpg

chassis, floor pan assembled:

bugattitank_7-vi.jpg

bugattitank_8-vi.jpg

Mock up with front, rear suspension and engine

bugattitank_10-vi.jpg

bugattitank_11-vi.jpg

Wheels are from the Monogram MG-TD, tires are from the Bugatti 35 kit

bugattitank_12-vi.jpg

next order of business is applying the Archer "rivet" decals after priming and gloss coating the surfaces needing "rivets"...

Outstanding start to this project! Your fabrication skills are excellent. I am a major Bugatti enthusiast and also love this car. The car you saw at Monterey was a re-creation with a lot of original Bugatti components but a very authentic one. One of the originals does survive in slightly modified form in the museum in Mulhouse, France. Your plastic wheels should look OK in black BUT.... Machined Aluminum Specialties did some photoetch "Duesenberg" wire wheel sets that were not very accurate for a Duesey but the turned rims fit like a glove in the Bugatti tires. You might need to narrow the rims and put a spacer behind the hub to get the right look for these wheels but that is easily done. Some really nice and accurate wheels would be the crowning touch for a great model.

Congrats on a great project and I will be watching the progress eagerly.

Wow, Curt! .... :angry:

So let me get this straight. The Type 35 kit is the source for the motor and suspension bits (gray stuff in the photos) and the chassis and body are scratch built from plastic. The concave louvers have been punched into the actual plastic using a tool you made using the "heated plastic" method referred to in the article. Scale is 1/24 working from plans published in the magazine article. Yes, no, maybe?

BTW, the mag articles look very cool. What's the mag?

Great fab work, something you do very well but which is sometimes less obvious on your OTB-based builds.

As the saying goes, More, More, More...

Outstanding start to this project! Your fabrication skills are excellent. I am a major Bugatti enthusiast and also love this car. The car you saw at Monterey was a re-creation with a lot of original Bugatti components but a very authentic one. One of the originals does survive in slightly modified form in the museum in Mulhouse, France. Your plastic wheels should look OK in black BUT.... Machined Aluminum Specialties did some photoetch "Duesenberg" wire wheel sets that were not very accurate for a Duesey but the turned rims fit like a glove in the Bugatti tires. You might need to narrow the rims and put a spacer behind the hub to get the right look for these wheels but that is easily done. Some really nice and accurate wheels would be the crowning touch for a great model.

Congrats on a great project and I will be watching the progress eagerly.

Thanx Andy

actually I'm pleased with the plastic "wire" wheels from the MG-TD.

after stripping the chrome off and painting they don't look to bad.

Wow, Curt! .... :D

So let me get this straight. The Type 35 kit is the source for the motor and suspension bits (gray stuff in the photos) and the chassis and body are scratch built from plastic. The concave louvers have been punched into the actual plastic using a tool you made using the "heated plastic" method referred to in the article. Scale is 1/24 working from plans published in the magazine article. Yes, no, maybe?

BTW, the mag articles look very cool. What's the mag?

Bernard

here's a photo of the magazine:

MRRC01vi-vi.jpg

It is no longer in circulation...was a fantastic magazine, luckily I have them all saved as a pdf. file

sold all of my hard copies on eBay

Punching the louvers was a little tricky...went thru a few sheets of plastic, but I persevered and got them to work out OK - not perfect by any stretch of the imagination!

The running gear (engine/rear end and a few springs) are all that I'm using out of the Bugatti 35 kit, everything else ya see is fabricated

Next update will be the rivet detail...boy there's a lot of'em!

Now on to the rivets...

someone on this forum when I 1st started a topic on the Bugatti tank supplied me with a link to Archer Fine Transfers http://www.archertransfers.com,

the armor and aircraft guys use them and they are not cheap...

nothing more than little bitty dots of resin on a wetslide decal paper...designed to go on before you paint the model

bugattitank_13-vi.jpg

after priming (white) I shot all surfaces with a clear coat...

giving the decals something to stick to :)

I was really surprized on how easily the decals were too apply and a single string of them can be wrapped around a fairly tight radius without buckling or wrinkling. Used Solvaset to knock em done and the decals responded favorably to it.

bugattitank_14-vi.jpg

bugattitank_15-vi.jpg

bugattitank_16-vi.jpg

bugattitank_17-vi.jpg

bugattitank_18-vi.jpg

bugattitank_19-vi.jpg

Everything coming along quite smoothly so far, only problem being the piano hinge for the engine bonnet. Just can't get the dang things to stay glued to the cover...tried super glue and a 2-part epoxy!

afraid to goop them up too much, don't want the glue to get into the "hingy part"

Just waiting for the Tamiya TS-10 French Blue to show up at the LHS, then I can check out the "rivets"

more to come...

Everything coming along quite smoothly so far, only problem being the piano hinge for the engine bonnet. Just can't get the dang things to stay glued to the cover...tried super glue and a 2-part epoxy!

afraid to goop them up too much, don't want the glue to get into the "hingy part"

Just waiting for the Tamiya TS-10 French Blue to show up at the LHS, then I can check out the "rivets"

Great job on the rivets! I have to get some of those.

How about JB Weld for gluing the hinges? It's available at Auto parts stores. I have found it to be real grippy and easy to work and control. I will be using it shortly on the Model Car Garage piano hinges for my Wills Finecast T59. I will be gluing white metal hood halves on to the hinge!!! :) I will be posting that project soon.

Great job on the rivets! I have to get some of those.

How about JB Weld for gluing the hinges? It's available at Auto parts stores. I have found it to be real grippy and easy to work and control. I will be using it shortly on the Model Car Garage piano hinges for my Wills Finecast T59. I will be gluing white metal hood halves on to the hinge!!! :lol: I will be posting that project soon.

Thanx Andy

I'll pick up some JB Weld and give it a go

looking forward to seeing the T59

Little Brother...how ya doing?

what brought a train guy to a model car forum?

glad ya popped by... :(

I was talking to some of the guys at http://dieseldetailer.proboards.com/index.cgi and they mentioned this site. So I came to see what they were doing and saw that you were here also. So I've been doing a little browsing of threads.

Lots of very nice work here!

Dan

Edited by DanRaitz

Little Brother...how ya doing?

what brought a train guy to a model car forum?

glad ya popped by... B)

I knew that there was a connection to trains and rivets somewhere in all of this madness!! :lol:

Let me know when you want to come by and help me get my next N scale layout started... ;)

Later,

Curt, this is absolutely amazing - what a wonderful build, and a great display of your amazing talents. I hope you dont mind, but I posted a link to this thread on my AutoModelling forum

Cant wait to see more...best of luck with this beautiful build!

Edited by theflame

Curt, this is absolutely amazing = what a wonderful build, and a great display of your amazing talents. I hope you dont mind, but I posted a link to this thread on my AutoModelling forum

When I saw this car I was amazed! Considering the state of aerodynamics in 1923, it is surprising. Airplane builders were just beginning to understand the role of drag caused by all those cables, struts, and square corners. Many of the aerodynamic features of this car are still in use today. You may recall that skinny tires were a long time going away because open wheel race car builders weren't sure if the wider tires would slow them down versus the traction benefits.

One thing for sure, when you take this to a contest, there won't be another one even close. Talk about standing out in a crowd!

Gary

Edited by BigGary

Curt, this is absolutely amazing - what a wonderful build, and a great display of your amazing talents. I hope you dont mind, but I posted a link to this thread on my AutoModelling forum

Thanx, don't mind at all...

It's a model I've always wanted to build, but lacked the experience to pull it off.

Hopefully my skills have progressed enough to complete it...so far it's coming along just fine :rolleyes:

When I saw this car I was amazed! Considering the state of aerodynamics in 1932, it is surprising. Airplane builders were just beginning to understand the role of drag caused by all those cables, struts, and square corners. Many of the aerodynamic features of this car are still in use today, such as the shovel nose. You may recall that skinny tires were a long time going away because open wheel race car builders weren't sure if the wider tires would slow them down versus the traction benefits.

One thing for sure, when you take this to a contest, there won't be another one even close. Talk about standing out in a crowd!

Gary

Also thanx,

Yeah, have not seen too many Bugatti Type 32's at the model shows/contests I've attended

Just picked up a can of Tamiya TS-10 French Blue from the LHS, so should be posting some pictures with color fairly soon...gotta see if those rivets "pop out"

Upon researching this car further (surfing the internet at work) I found out there was only 5 units built and they raced them in only one race...the Grand Prix at Lyon in 1923.

So it's not a 1926 "tank" as I noted on the topic heading.

The #6 car, the car I'm modeling was driven to third place finish in the race by Bugatti Mechanic/Driver Ernest Friedrich.

Even with Ettore Bugatti's attempt to create an aerodynamic chassis he did not enter the "tank" in any further races because it handled poorly

gonna be spraying paint today :huh: