Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yep. $500 car endurance race.

24 HOURS OF LE MONS

Yup - What he said. Initial purchase price of $500 then you add safety equipment. The idea of cheap racing is an oxymoron - but more affordable racing is a more realistic descriptor. If a team of four or five shares the cost - each person contributing $800-$1000 should get a good car with some realistic amount of spares. A team of four or five with 24 hours of driving should get each and every driver more seat time than each one would average in one year of club racing.

Check out the Grassroots Motorsports message board. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/

They are bunch of motorsports loonies that LOVE this stuff. Its OK - they are safe - I know a few of 'em. They should be able to answer some questions not covered elsewhere.

Where do ya get a beater for under $500?

The "clunker-bill" purty much got rid of all the cheap cars...

this has had a big impact on demolition derbies, etc :)

I'll bet most of the cars are either inside deals or Craigslist finds.

I have an ancient Mazda 929 that when it's fateful day is near I could donate it to the Le Mons cause! V6, RWD, all-independent suspension, a poor man's BMW 5 series wrapped in an anonymous Japanese body with an Oldsmobile-like crushed velour interior :D

There's some sort of rule that either the audience, or the racers can vote for a particular car to be crushed or destroyed, kinda like a dirt-track claimer class, so that will discourage people from fudging the purchase price or value with an inside deal and bringing a ringer to the race because it'll end up being destroyed.

Some friends of mine went to the one south of Houston and said it was a blast. I also read an article about it in Spirit Magazine (the one distributed on Southwest Airlines jets to read in flight) and it looks like a fun time.

Where do ya get a beater for under $500?

The "clunker-bill" purty much got rid of all the cheap cars...

this has had a big impact on demolition derbies, etc B)

Craig's list - word of mouth - parts cars that are too far gone (read rusty or bent) for restoration. There are 10 cars/vans/trucks for sale - posted since 25th Dec. in the Lancaster, Pa Craig's list ads. I can just imagine the opportunities in a large city! I have no problem racing a Chrysler minivan! Racin's racin'!

I've seen people build 10 second cars for less than $2500. No they aren't beaters - in fact they are a work of fabrication art! http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0802_homebuilt_heros/74_datsun_70_camaro_62_corvette.html - The part about the Datsun.

hrdp_0802_14_zhomebuilt_heros1974_d.jpg

This car was built for less than $2500 - runs 10.7 in the quarter. I have to add - it lifts the front tires a foot off the ground on launch!

I feel for the derby people - I'm sure that the CFC program has made a dent in their plans. Fortunately for those involved in grassroots motor sports like road racing, autocross, or rally-cross or any other like sport - we like the cars that didn't get approved for the CFC program like VWs, Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas and the like.

Edited by seeker589

Dang, I wasn't the first to post! I swear by this kind of racing. Tim pretty much summed it all up, I would have said the same. ;)

It is the best racing you will ever see or compete in! Briliant! :D

There is going to be a 24hrs of Le Mons at Deer Run, which is local for us, we even have a car. ;)

A couple guys from NAXJA.org ran a 2wd '89 CHerokee in the one near them, apparently it did pretty well too!

253.jpg

Almost looks like it belongs here ;)

246.jpg

Um yea, that Civic behind the Petty Cash Racing rig has buck teeth and a beaver's tail :blink:

273.jpg

And yes, that Jeep has passed the one and is passing the other Camaro here :)

Edited by Joe Handley

ohhhh man for less that 500? wow, hey, you need any extra drivers? I will fly to Colorado! :lol:

Yup.

I think you need a team of at least four drivers so we might have openings. I think the driver fee is $100.

One of my best friends had built a car for the past two years. Here is one from the Nelson Ledges race. Mullet mobile madness transformed into a Van Halen guitar paint scheme.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NilesStonne/24HoursOfLemonsAtNelsonLedges#

Please note that one team even secured a Russian Lada for the race and had strange Russian uniforms.

Edited by lordairgtar

I'm digging teh GLH, but that hacked up G-Van and Saturn sedan are...something else :D

I had to look twice to see if it was my old race car! But mine wasn't as shiny!

I bought it for about $275 with a really bad suspension and a blown motor and it was barn dirty.

brickblockncropped.jpg

I called it The Brick - it was so UN-shiny. I used it for Pennsylvania Hillclimb events. It blew a piston (ring land)at the same time i ran out of money so I sold it about 7 years ago.

Edited by seeker589

So many forums to follow.. omg.. :lol::wacko:

Haha..great to see that there's such a race over at the States..

Pity there's nothing much here.. Sure, the Japan GT (JGTC), F1 etc is here, but I feel, those are just too ###### commercialized..

something like LeMons would be great here, considering the amount of beaters that needs to be cleared off the roads..

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on NAXJA tonight

Posted by IXNAYXJ on Naxja.org,

Our entry to the Infineon/Sears Pointless race is confirmed! March 6-7, 2010.

-----Matt-----

He's one of the guys from Petty Cash Racing, should be interesting to see how their Cherokee does this time around :lol:

Edited by Joe Handley