Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Front Engine Dragster Project - Finished

Mooneyzs

Well I got some bench time in tonight and more progress was made....

Here is the new and improved radius rods that have been installed:

PlasticModels4501-vi.jpg

Here is another view:

PlasticModels4511-vi.jpg

I got the brake parts all Painted and ready to install. I just need to color sand and polish the rear body pieces before I can install these parts since the body panels have to go on first:

PlasticModels4531-vi.jpg

Here is the parachute, I ended up covering the parachute with aluminum Bare Metal Foil and then I added a little bit of a dry bush/wash to it. I will have to see if I can get a better pic of it tomorrow:

PlasticModels4571-vi.jpg

Here is the Chute Line I am going with... I couldn't decide if I wanted white or black...and went with black lol:

PlasticModels4631-vi.jpg

Here is the brake handle. I redid the actual handle by using a push pin and painted the ball:

PlasticModels4661-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Danno... thanks buddy

Charlie...thank you. I will be so glad when i get this done and i can go back to the Army Funny car. I have been also trying to figure out if i can remove all of the old braided line and put yours on because the detail master stuff is no where as nice as your braided line.

Mike... thank you my friend.

Johnny boy.. . Thank you my brother. Stat tunned becaiwe i am gonna be cor sanding the rear body panels so i can get them installed and then get the brakea installed too

Huh I just sat down, switched this computer on and headed straight to Drag Racing Models... I spent whole day washing, cleaning and waxing my Chevy Van and what would be a better way to relax than checking new progress on Chris' FED? B) Incredible work, as you always do. The front axle is looking excellent with the Radius Rods. Really great work, and I agree, Pro Tech's Braided Line is absolutely best one available.

Next I'm going to check John's Swamp Rat 33 build... B)

Niko... Thank you so much for the kind words. This one is coming along slowly but surly.... Then I can get back to the Vega F/C...lol

Steve... Thank you very much Sir. Yep this FED will be going to the show and will be done in time for it :D

Sat down this evening and made more progress on it. I got the Parachute pretty much done other than It needs another minor weather treatment since I rubbed some of it off when I was getting it installed onto the chassis and I was also able to color sand the two rear panels. Tomorrow (or I should say Today) morning I will get some black painted on the inside of the rear panels, that way I can get the panels glued into place and I can start gluing the rear brakes into place. Here are the pics....

Here is the Parachute after it has been glued in place. All it needs now is a little more weathering added to it along with making the pull chord and a "Remove Before Flight" flag:

PlasticModels4691-vi.jpg

Here is a shot of the two rear body panels. I color sanded both of these with my LMG polishing kit. I started with 4000 grit and worked my way up to 12000. They still need to be hit with polishing compound. The finish you see here is once the 12000 grit was finished:

PlasticModels4721-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Looking great Chris. I too, love those body panels. How many years in the making and now you're down to crunch time. At least the to-do list is getting shorter. Looking forward to this one being on the table at DSC X.

Edited by gasser59

Jason... Thank you. you are more than welcome to steal any of the ideas. Cutting the tips like that makes them look so much better.

Larry.... Thank you my friend. I appreciate the kind words.

Aaron... Thank you. I will be honest I can't wait to see what they look like once I hit them with some polishing compound...lol THey look dang good as is but they still need a polish.

Jim... You are welcome. Although many of the pics of the FED in once of my dragster books shows the parachute line attaching to the bar below the parachute. So I may of screwed up but it looks good enough for me on this build...lol

Brad.... Thank you my other BIg Brother....You are right.... this is what 17 years in the making and I just want it finished at this point...haha

John... Thank you my Big Bother.... I am trying to build as fast as you but I think my problems in I don't have any Bald Mini Me's helping me out... :lol:

So here is an early afternoon teaser.... I started to prep the rear panels for some paint. I sanded them down a bit and taped the panels off. Although I know they are no were near perfect but I wasn't going to spend forever on them, it would be a different story if this build was at the level of my Army Vega F/C so just because I want this one done, They are good enough.

Here is a shot after the inside panels were sanding with 500 grit paper and taped off then taped to my painting box:

PlasticModels4771-vi.jpg

Here they are after being painted with some Orchard Supply Rattle Can flat black. They are no where perfect and you can see some flaws in it but good enough for this build. I have really just wanted to finish a build since its been over 3 years since I have completed anything. Now I am waiting for them to dry for a while before I can polish the body paint and then I will install and glue them in place so I can start to work on the brakes:

PlasticModels4811-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Give yourself a little break, Chris. No 1:1 race car was perfect. Far from it. Most race cars are 25-footers. {Especially interior surfaces.}

The surfaces and finishes on your models look far closer to perfect than 99 out of 100 full size race cars.

Danno.... Thank you. you are right I am thinking it all needs to be perfect...lol

Dave.... Thank you very much my friend

Dave... Thank you. Not my best work but good enough...lol

HEre are a few more updates to show... Got the parachute and pull handle mounted.....

Made a pull ring for the pull handle

PlasticModels4841-vi.jpg

Little more weathering to chute and the "Remove before flight" flag:

PlasticModels4881-vi.jpg

Another view, different lighting:

PlasticModels4901-vi.jpg

PlasticModels4941-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs