Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Front Engine Dragster Project - Finished

Mooneyzs

Brad... i will be finding a way to "to adjust" these front wheels for sure. Theybare a little eye sore in my opinion...lol It may not be the right way but it will get rid of the major positive camber in them. Thanks in the picture with the parts spread out, i wanted everone to see all the parts amd what they looked like from sitting around all those years...lol and like you on my next front engine dragster i may trying to just scrarch build the front axle...lol

Lee... thank you for the kind words on the Army funny car. You are right that I will be fixing the camber issue because it is bothering me. I just want to make it look a little better. Trust me i have ruined my fair share of thinfs by trial and error which is whatbgot me to where i am now with practice.

Dave... thank you my friend. Hope to have some more updates soon and hope i ger some bench time tonight. Havent really been able to get to the bench the past few days.

Chris - I'm itchin' and a twithin' for an update. I've got Army Vega on the brain.

Chris……..I` m going to have a nervous breakdown……..if I don`t get an up-date soon :wacko: …….I have`nt been able to sleep because I have "Vega" on the brain……..Please help soon :blink:

Bob... I do have an update tonight for everyone. I have had some family in town and wasn't able to get to the bench until this evening.

Brad... Hopefully this will wet your appetite. I have Army Vega on the brain too but I do want to finish this one before the show.

Steve... Thank you. It should be done in hopefully the next 2 weeks.

John... I don't want you having a nervous break down. I know I need to get a Vega fix for you too... :lol:

Darryl... Thank you sir, this was a fun one to paint. It was painted 3 years ago and I believe it took me around 13 hours to paint

Seth... Thank you.

Well I got some time on the bench on this one tonight. I took the time to fix the Camber issue I was having with the front wheels because I couldn't take how they looked....lol And then I started working on the headers. Here is a couple of shots

Here is the new front wheel camber... It looks so much better than before and am much happier now:

PlasticModels4261-vi.jpg

this is just a reminder what it looked like before:

PlasticModels4191-vi.jpg

Here is the start of the headers. Originally 17 years ago I build my own headers but they sorta turned out like garbage and I wasn't happy with them, I decided to just use the kits one and make them look a little better. Started out by drilling out all of header pipes:

PlasticModels4271-vi.jpg

Then here is how far I got tonight, I sanded the mold lines and added the support piece on the one header. I still need to sand the mold lines off the 2nd one and add the support piece to it:

PlasticModels4321-vi.jpg

So tomorrow which will actually be Monday, after work I am planning on working on this more and hopefully I will finish the headers up and get some primer on them. Then I am planning on getting all of the front end radius rods installed. Then I will move onto the next thing on the list...lol so stay tuned.... B)

Edited by Mooneyzs

Bob... thanks on the camber fix. I wont lie.... I cheated by sanding the axle to make it smaller giving me the ability to angle the tires the way I want to. I will end up gluing the front tires with 5 min epoxy so i will set them in place when I glue them.

Nice work, Chris!

If I may suggest a build tip. Just in case you did not think of it already.

On my last large build, I cut the top of the zoomies flat. If you look at them, they are molded like the tip of a needle with the tip at an angle. Cutting them flat with give them that staggered look, like real zoomies!

Keep up the good work!

IvoDone011_zps032ff6eb.jpg

Bob.... Thank you.i am much happier with it now

Mike.... Thank you.

Jesse... Thank you so ,inch for the suggestion. I let that one slip past me. I got the first set cut like you mention and will have the next one tone tomorrow. I will also get some primer on them tomorrow after work. Very nice build you shared. It looks great. I will have some pics to share tomorrows

I sat down this evening and got some more work done on this bad boy. Making some progress. Here is what was done....

I first started out by cutting the tips of the headers to get rid of the funky way Revell made them. Thanks to Jesse for pointing this out to me because I think I may of looked past it If he didn't mention anything. Looks much better now. As well as I got some primer on them:

PlasticModels4341-vi.jpg

Here is another shot of the headers in primer. There is a little work that needs to be done to them on the inside bends, Not happy with them but will try to make them look as good as I can with out spending too much time on them:

PlasticModels4371-vi.jpg

Then I started to drill out the brake parts to fit the lines, Tomorrow I will primer the brake pieces and then they will be ready for paint:

PlasticModels4471-vi.jpg

I decided to throw some of the parts together to mock it up and see how it will start to look:

PlasticModels4401-vi.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Jim... Thank you very much. Yeah I was really thankful that Jesse mentioned that because I know I would of overlooked it. Your are right that those simple fixes really make a big difference.

I just realized I totally forgot to take a pic of the front end as well because I also got all of the radius rod mounted into place. I will show pics of that on the next update.