Model Cars Magazine Forum

My 37/57 Ford pick-me-up

Jon Cole

I finally have photos to show what I have been working on for the past three weeks (I work slow).

Here is the inspiration:

FordPUdocfranktruckbuildthisvi-vi.jpg

dPUReceived_29_11_2006193813vi-vi.jpg

Mine will have gloss paint, still not sure of wheels or engine.

First whack at z'ing a frame, decided to pin it for strength...

mypics22010033-vi.jpg

mypics22010035-vi.jpg

Ahhh.... the doner corpse!

mypics22010038-vi.jpg

The blood and gore shot... :D

mypics22010041-vi.jpg

More later. :lol:

Edited by Spyder

• 11 months later...

PROGRESS! Courtesy Mother Nature. I finally made progress on my 37/57… first real mockup here with Modelhaus skins (#186 out back; #120 up front) on wheels from the Bantam Blast. Still not sure about a mill… the Bantam’s looks good, but no tranny means I would need to scrounge one up. Any source ideas out there for the tranny, or even an entire different powerplant?

I really dig FAT TIRES! Nothing else will do for this! Also thinking of gloss black paint; possibly a two tone. I would like to show ’57 Ford influence.

SonyMavicaupload2111004-vi.jpg

SonyMavicaupload2111006-vi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

More updates:

BUILD EVERYTHING TWICE! That way it takes longer. :lol:

After all the work in the frame, the end result seems too short in the front. I must have screwed it up when I "Z'd" the frame.

So, I will make an all new frame

UploadFeb15201101003-vi.jpg

Everytime I draw a pattern, the second one comes out larger than the first. So this time, I will try a 'negative' or reverse pattern.

UploadFeb15201101004-vi.jpg

I drew out the width and other guides on paper for the frame. Here is the start for the 'X' frame.

UploadFeb15201101007-vi.jpg

More later... unless I pop a head gasket, and pulverize the whole thing :blink:

More twice-built!

In front of my second frame, is the bulkhead to mount my rear suspension, also scratched. Unfortunately, the first set of trailing arms had too much angle, The arm to frame would have been too close to the driveshaft. The second set of trailing arms sits outboard...

UPLOAD225201101002-vi.jpg

Rear suspension not glued in place...

UPLOAD225201101003-vi.jpg

I still need to come up with some rear coil-overs, and a panard bar.

UPLOAD225201101005-vi.jpg

Front axle will be from the Revell '32 Ford... scratch-built trailing links. But the engine? Still not 100% sure. No motor mounts on the frame yet. On the bench, a 390 HP Thunderbird mill from the '34 Ford pickup kit. Kind of so-so on that, would like to stay Ford. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Minor FAIL. One of the pivot housings on my scratched trailing arms fell apart. So that means new t-arms will be made, except this time, each one will be one-piece.

Also, this stuff doesn't come naturally to me. So, I need to learn as I go. That can lead to errors. If you look at the earlier photos, the rear axle is free to rotate on its axis. Big FAIL. My new rear suspension will now have 4 t-arms. I still need to build my rear coil-over shocks. Plus I will need a rear Panard (Panhard? sp?) bar. So far, everything back there will be functionally free to move. Lets see if I can do likewise with the coils and Panard.

At first, I though I would only replace the failing 2 trailing arms:

UPLOAD328201101003-vi.jpg

Here, I have fab'd 4 new t-arms, and added a second set of mounts to the crossmember. Odd how I had originally made my rear axle t-arm mounts large enough to use 4 arms. I did that right... by coincidence! B)

UPLOAD328201101005-vi.jpg

Below is the back side of the crossmember, which will be near the front of the truck bed. I don't want any more parts breaking off, so those U-brackets to mount the t-arms are not just epoxied, they were also drilled & pinned. For appearance, I will cut some hex nuts and add to the pins before those also get trimmed down to length.

UPLOAD328201101007-vi.jpg

I am really winging it here. If I had better knowledge of suspension design, I could have avoided a few mistakes.

I hope I am not boring anyone with all this. My goal is, maybe by writing all this out; it may help me to remember, thus avoiding a repeat. Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! ;)

Edited by Jon Cole