Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the weirdest thing you found in junkyard, while parts scrounging

wow, lol

1 block away from boardering rival gangs: Crypts and Bloods.

I live in Stockport, which is 4 miles from Manchester, and I can second your brother.

He complained about it alot. :lol:

I did forget to mention at the same time I found the "adult" stuff, I found a top of the line Viper alarm. Oddly enough, in a 99 Intrepid (mine is a 2002). Because I do so much business with them, he said, if I pull it, I can have it. When I say top of the line, I mean it had EVERYTHING. Door poppers (not just unlock, but I could actually pop the door open with the push of a button), window control, moon roof control, remote start. I got it installed on my car and everything worked like new (up until I blew the engine in my car last year). I contacted Viper about it and that particular alarm cost $799.00 new. I know it's not a strange thing to find, but I thought it was AWESOME that I got it for free. I like going out there just to look around, you never know what you'll find.

I don't know about weird, but a found a name tag.... in the name of FAIL. Also weird for this part of the country

celicaQPs.jpg

They have never been on a car. 1st gen celica quarters, just sitting in a field!!! Well, actually more like an old abandoned junkyard, but still really strange for a part of the country that didn't always look nicely on imports

Edited by Ken

I've found adult stuff, tools, full pack of smokes, blood soaked clothes, a dead cat, but I have to say my most odd find was my old friends Mavrick 2 door with a 302 in it. He lived in a completely different part of the state and it ended up down here in my area. Some jerk they knew wanted his wife and couldn't break them up so he "borrowed" the car and purposefully rolled it 6 times. He also sabatoged my favorite car I ever owned. My 76 Plymouth Fury Sport 2 door. Just cause I was friends with the Maverick guy. It was weird looking at my friends car with his kids school work and clothes and all kinds of stuff as I had lost track of him for a couple years.

Hmmm........

Post war GM "fast back" sedan either Buick, Olds or Caddy, it's been nearly a decade so I'm not too sure which anymore.....

Heavily rotted Mid 60's Mustang with the leaves poking up through the trunk.

Mid 70's Gremlin made into a wanna be ElCamino, complete with era correct red tinted windows, shag carpeting, and horrible bodywork....

Rag Top Cavelier that was folded in half after the rockers were cut out and havine nothing done to support the center of the unibody.

Both a '94 or '95 Lebaron Convertable and a same vintage FWD Monte Carlo that had been rolled, kinda looked like the drivers took their exit ramps a little too hot since there were tufts of grass sticking out of various parts of the upper structures of the cars.

Last trip I made there was a rolled XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee (which had the whole roof cut off by the responding fire department too), both with steel rims that were folded under, kind looked like they'd been slid into curbs immediately prior to rolling......The XJ provided the spare air filter box that I cut the whole front wall out of and made a broke man's cold air intake out of :o

SAme trip both Dad and I spotted some teenage kid in the yard with his girlfriend, who was wearing short-shorts and sandles......I thought I was seeing things (It was pretty warm that day....) and missed the sandles, while Dad was shocked they let her in with that outfit (not the kind of place I'd roam around in shorts and anything less than some kind of gym shoe in all honesty). The next weekend Dad took my sister to the same yard and she got in for free while dressed to actually tear something apart so I'd be willing to guess that this kid's girlfriend must have gotten him in for free too B)

Guest Mustang3.8

I got two:

I found about 5 dollars in change, a small pocket knife, and Tic Tacs in the ashtray of my Monte Carlo

My brother caught a couple making out on the front of his truck, and sold them an old wool blanket for $40

I just called my uncle, he bought a new project a few days ago, a 68 mustang coupe, base model nothing really special, he found the following while stripping it down,

• Glamour Photo of somebody named "Sheila". She's wearing a cowboy hat with a big feather like Richard Petty

• Pay stubs from pizza hut (not Sheila's)

• Gallon can of Bondo

• Bunch of carburetor gaskets all glued together with indian head shellac

• New Shocks (in trunk)

• 10 pairs of safety glasses

• About 250 pennies

• 10 empty Winston packs

• Big Chilton's shp manual on "all cars 1965 to 1982". I don't think so

• Business card for some guy in Maryland that deals in parts for 79-82 Oldsmobiles (but why?)

• Several more empty bottles of margerine vodka

• Many many grease rags

• Pair of "Vans" jogging shoes approx size 13

• Coffee can full of important bolts

• 2 little bottles of Jack Daniels like they use on Airplanes.

• Insurance notice telling the owner he didn't send enough money for his payment so they're cancelling the insurance and also want the rest of their money.

• A brouchure about the Youth Program offered from the VFW

• A couple of Japanese works of art

• Army Reserve Training books

• The front sway bar that has been cut in half with the "blue tip" wrench

• Vegetation growing in the bottom of the doors

• Old lottery tickets

• Army Reserve decal stuck on the dash pad on the passenger side

• Seller BUSTED both of the rear interior panels while trying to remove them. And they were good! Doh!

• Headliner is covered with black fur material like that used to make velvet Elvis pictures

• one C and one D battery

• Remote from a Daewoo CD player (I bet Chester wonders where that got to)

• Toby Keith "boomtown" tape

• 1999 Newspaper

• Pulltab collection

• Form for Moms to volunteer to make Gingerbread men for 5th grade Christmas party.

• Jesus air freshener

• New transmission gasket

• Blue industrial coveralls, size 38 extra wormy

• Peter Pan glass from Burger King.

• Handouts from self-esteem presentation at PTA

• Laundry Detergent

• Big ol' snake skin

• Pacifier

• keys

• a home stereo in the back seat

Obviously a person who could not get his life together. It's strange how such a random collection of items can form such a strong sense of the personality behind them. ;)

One of the strangest things I found in a junkyard was in the trunk of a 1980's Chrysler K-Car. A collection of various prosthetic limbs. There were about ten arms and legs of different amputation lengths and two feet.

Great topic BTW!

While picking parts off an early 80's Le Baron ragtop for a buddy of mine's car, I found an old Igloo cooler in the trunk with a compass (the drawing circles kind), three pocket bibles, several Swisher cigars still in the cellophane (but still looking pretty gross), a resin puppy figurine, two identical pairs of reading glasses- one pair with a lens missing, a strap from a sandal, a very old copy of Women's Health... and a pair of thong underwear.

The other stuff I can see being in the old cooler in the trunk of an abandoned car, it's the thong that kind of messes with ya... :lol:

I don't even want to talk about the '73-ish fullsize Dodge Hardtop with the trunk full of severed deer parts...

Somewhat related, but I had my brother upload an old family video clip of my grandpa pulling around an old Ford wagon they had sitting around the property, trying to free up a couple stuck wheels. Yes, that is 5 year old me running around! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEvTj2oYzs

Here's what it looks like now:

houghton066.jpg

As well as a few other junkers:

houghton069.jpg

houghton059.jpg

houghton060.jpg

Edited by YJIslander

In 1960 while searching Salvage Yards, I found an old wooden Runabout inboard boat with the strangest looking Engine I had eaver seen. It appeared to be a V8 of some kind it had a Ford Flathead style Block with a twin bulb style distributor, but there were no visable sparkplugs, and the wiring was all gone. It had a high rise manifold for twin 2 barrel carbs, but one was missing, the one that was there had parts missing. Laying in the bilge was a strange looking tear drop shaped aircleaner that was so covered with ###### I couldn't be sure whether it was all there or what shape it was in. I was intriged by this engine, so when the guy running the yard said I could have it all for five bucks I bought it. When I got it all cleaned up I found that What I had was a 41 mercury flathead that was actually in good rebuildable condition, no cracks and the cylinders had never been bored. The reason there were no visible spark plugs, as I found out when my uncle looked at it, was because it had a pair of thickston head covers to keep the plugs from shorting when water hit the engine in a marine istalation. The Manifold and Aircleaner which also was in pretty good condition was also made by thickston. The Motor needed a new distributor, starter, generator, oil pump(solid sludge), and fuel pump, but it was still quiet a find for that five bucks. It became the engine in my first Roadster. I really enjoyed the way people kept trying to figure out that strange looking Flathead!

CHEERS!

Somewhat related, but I had my brother upload an old family video clip of my grandpa pulling around an old Ford wagon they had sitting around the property, trying to free up a couple stuck wheels. Yes, that is 5 year old me running around! :P

As well as a few other junkers:

Looks like a typical Yooper motor pool!

Okay. My story doesn't involve a junkyard or cars but it was salvage!

A big old hotel in Minneapolis was going to be torn down and they were having a sale to clear out whatever they could. The last owner was a religious group who used it as a residence, school, church, etc.

We were only supposed to look at stuff on the first 2 floors. Of course we went up to the top floor(approx. 10-12 stories). This was the penthouse, fancy restaurant area of the former hotel. There was a door which had a piece of buckskin with the words "Leather Room" engraved in it attached to the door. We went in and there was this big free-standing brass and glass fireplace and deep shag carpeting. The room was strewn with dozens of ladies high heel shoes of the strappy, sexy variety. Hmmmm. Do you suppose this was where the pastor ministered to the young ladies of the congregation? Or maybe he liked to wear them?

Sorry! No Jimmy Hoffa in the trunk but it was all I had! I never found anything more interesting than old combs and loose change in junk cars. Oh! I did find a nice Snap-On 1/2 wrench once!

Boy You guys have found some uh..............interesting things? Just got back from Dom's Auto Wrecking in the neighbouring town of Oshawa, I need a new Drivers interior door handle for my truck and a new '90-'96 Buick Power antenna, to fix my dad's buick, You'll never beleive what I found in one of the trucks, A hole family of racoons under the seat, they weren't happy to find me intruding in there truck. I also found in the truck I took the handle off, $0.25 in pennies, and a male life guards shorts, I kept the pennies, left the shorts.

When my wife and I bought our house I noticed that the previous occupants had nailed paneling up under the basement stairs with no access door. I made a joke about somebody hiding a body in there. It seemed very odd. After we closed on the house I went done there and tore off the paneling. No body but I did find about half the pieces for a 60s Ford 352 V8!!! including the block. No crank, rods or pistons but most of the long block was there. Too funny!

Of all the things I have found in junkyards, I think the best was when I took my 7 year old daughter with me. While I was trying to find parts for my car, she was just walking around behind me and found one of those old GI Joes (the tall ones). She was excited as she only had a bunch of Barbies, and the owner didnt even charge us.

mike