Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fall 2010 Releases from Revell

Guest Markus355

REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to the 48 ford, 59 ford, 59 caddy, beatnik bandit, and the midgets......

Couldnt care any less if the rest ever get released though.

August's kits are hitting RPP retailers now, non-RPP's should be getting them in about two weeks.

August

1:24 Kurtis Kraft Racer (SSP)

1:25 Corvette ZR-1

1:25 Dodge Hemi Dart

1:25 '48 Ford Woody

1:25 Mongoose Funny Car

1:25 Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit

I peeked inside the Mongoose Duster, new one piece tires look nice.

August's kits are hitting RPP retailers now, non-RPP's should be getting them in about two weeks.

August

1:24 Kurtis Kraft Racer (SSP)

1:25 Corvette ZR-1

1:25 Dodge Hemi Dart

1:25 '48 Ford Woody

1:25 Mongoose Funny Car

1:25 Ed Roth Beatnik Bandit

I peeked inside the Mongoose Duster, new one piece tires look nice.

My LHS got all of these in today, I picked up a ZR-1...alas, I was too late to get one of the Darts. But I have 2 on preorder w/ my favorite online vendor.

i mentioned in another post that i agree with Bob on the Mustang and that it should be a 2011 model with the new engine. will the styling be enough to sell the kit? and although i'd welcome a new Shelby version, something else like a Saleen could be soo much cooler.

i'm hoping with fingers crossed too that the '48 Ford coupe is NOT chopped and has a stock roof height. we have never yet had a "good" or even remotely accurate model of the '46-'48 Ford coupe and in my opinion a custom only version would kill sales of the kit and interest would be very limited. i really hope that Revell tools the kit with the stock roof and lets the aftermarket resin companies fill the need for a chopped top version.

i'm very curious too as if the new midget kit, specifically the Edelbrock version is going to be the first ever tooling of the V-8 60 flathead engine.

Dave

More thoughts on the Kurtis midgets: While in the 50's, the diminuative 110cid Offy, Flathead V8-60, the Elto and the Drake stood in good stead--costs of buying an Offy were rising dramatically, and in the case of the other common engines, parts were becoming hard to get. By the early 1960's, the midget Offenhauser was nearly as expensive as its big brother, the mighty 255cid Championship Engine, the stuff of the legendary Indianapolis Roadsters. So, enter stock block production engines other than the little flathead Ford: For several years, the 170cid inline 6 developed for the Falcon was popular, did very well on the various circuits too. The little 4-banger Chevrolet developed for the baseline Chevy II got called upon, not nearly as successful as the Falcon 6. With EMPI, however, making ever more potent speed equipment for the VW flat four aircooled motor, it was only a matter of time before someone stuck one in a midget. I don't know for sure, but it may well have been "Red" Caruthers out of California who did the first one, to be driven by his rising star son, Jimmy--first in CRA (California Racing Association) moving over to USAC by 1969 or 1970. The VW "popcorn" engines ran with distinction and success throughout the 70's and into the 1980's, first in Kurtis midgets (so many of those were built, either by Kurtis or from kits supplied by Kurtis-Kraft, or built up from Kurtis plans, even copied off of existing Kurtis Midgets, that nobody seriously thought about anything new in a midget chassis until Caruthers in California and Bob Higman of Romney IN--just a few miles south of where I live--tried their hand at replacing aging Kurtis chassis.

But, probably the most potent stock block based engine in Midgets was the Sesco Chevy. Those were 283's cut in half (two versions--as a V4, or inline 4--the latter being the left hand side of the cylinder block, but retaining the camshaft, timing gear and chain, and the entire crankcase--just covering over the resulting opening in the right side of the block where the right bank of cylinders was cut away). With Hilborn fuel injection, Sesco's were runners! On a further note, the first three Cosworth Vega engines to be let out of the factory were shipped to Bob Higman, who dropped one of them into a Kurtis midget, "Pancho" Carter driving it to more than a few track records. The Cosworth was so strong, that when the car got really low rear end gears for short tracks, Carter could actually do wheelies coming off the turns onto the straights.

So, lotta possibilities for someone in the aftermarket to come up with even more engines!

Art

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got my e-Mail newsletter from Model Roundup. The Cadillac, from the way it was worded to me, anyway, is coming with the same blank black rubber grommets that they're putting in other cars- not those nice wide-whitewalls! Looks like another $8 to the Modelhaus to purchase the re-pops unless you want to paint them on or try Shabo or Scale Equipment dry transfers.

Hobbico needs to be compelled to sell Revellogram. I'll start buying lottery tickets for large jackpots immediately....

Charlie Larkin

I just got my e-Mail newsletter from Model Roundup. The Cadillac, from the way it was worded to me, anyway, is coming with the same blank black rubber grommets that they're putting in other cars- not those nice wide-whitewalls! Looks like another $8 to the Modelhaus to purchase the re-pops unless you want to paint them on or try Shabo or Scale Equipment dry transfers.

Hobbico needs to be compelled to sell Revellogram. I'll start buying lottery tickets for large jackpots immediately....

Charlie Larkin

The 59 Caddy has the same BF Goodrich Silvertowns w/ whitewall inserts it's always had. Just popped one open to check.

I think 10 years from now, we'll be looking back at Hobbico's purchase of Revell and Round 2's taking control of AMT and MPC as what saved car modeling as we know it.

sweet ,love the midget with trailer ,and cant wait to get a couple of those cutlass' are there any known release dates? i wouldnt mind the helicopter either( i like military for a change of pace)

jim

The Cutlass and '59 Caddy are out now, and in another thread I've seen the expected release dates for the midgets to be Nov and Dec...

Edited by Rob Hall

Yup, I’ll back up what Brett has already confirmed: the tires are just as we’ve seen ‘em these last nearly 20 years, complete with Goodrich Silvertown scripts. White plastic is very welcome, too, as are the more complete decal markings.

Is it Revell’s lack of tire brand markings that brought on the rant? ‘Cause that has nothing to do with Hobbico.

In light of an era not long past, in which car manufacturers recognized a certain equity in having their brands promoted by miniatures, it’s galling enough to see them charging model manufacturers for the privilege of promoting their brands in this day and age.

And those who don’t agree can just forget that retarded little liability angle. If someone is moronic enough to sue Cadillac because his toddler swallowed a Revell-Monogram part, just what kind of correspondence-school flunky would it take NOT to be able to make that distinction in court?

But when some scum-sucking bottom-feeder from a TIRE manufacturer comes looking to get his hands in Revell’s tiller too, then as far as I’m concerned, it’s a MORAL IMPERATIVE for Revell to obliterate their trademarks from any of their kits. Not only am I just fine with that, I’m making sure never to patronize that tire manufacturer again myself – and with what I drive, they’d have made a reasonable profit off of me.

What’s the difference between up to twenty years ago, when manufacturers were willing to recognize the promotional value they got for granting licenses to model manufacturers, and now, when they get that same promotion and charge for it?

Basest, beady-eyed greed. No point in anybody pretending otherwise. And the manufacturer no longer represented on Revell’s tires can burn straight through the ground to their waiting fate, for all I care.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Not only am I just fine with that, I’m making sure never to patronize that tire manufacturer again myself – and with what I drive, they’d have made a reasonable profit off of me.

I look at it that way too... but we're running out of greedy tire manufacturers, and my truck's gonna need some new rollers soon... :lol:

Guess I'm going "off brand" this time.

Far as the tire thing itself is concerned, manufacturer adopts an odious policy, I tell 'em to go pound sand, pretty straightforward.

But what that conduct represents, how the same basic philosophy of undisciplined short-term gain has recently driven our economy to the brink, you ###### betcha I take that seriously.

Oh, nothing in particular, I don't think -

in Revell's case, I'm guessing the cost-benefit analysis of retooling their tires and telling manufacturers where to go proved advantageous against playing ball with the lincensors, whereas the balance is simply different for the other manufacturers...

or maybe Revell-Monogram just takes the whole thing too seriously too. B)