Model Cars Magazine Forum

Linderg Shuts Down

Don't know if this is true or has been discussed here already, but I got it in a club e mail tonight and thought I'd share.

Linderg Shuts Down

Word came down on a number of the internet message boards that Lindberg has ceased production of kits again. The current manager and driving force behinds it's recent revival Ernie Petit was released from the company and all production shut down.

From what I read, it was the same genius that wrecked Polar Lights (I think?) that now owns Lindberg, Hawk and all those other lines. Seems he likes to build lots of anticipation, look strong, build support, and then do something totally anti-climatic like this, and make himself look like a fool.

It's very unfortunate that these companies are owned and run by such charlatans.

Looks like I best stock up on a few things I want in short order.

Charlie Larkin

Well isn't that just lovely! :blink: What a shame. Hopefully someone will get into the driver's seat and the molds will remain active. I don't know all of the facts of course but it is never good for the hobby when this sort of thing happens. Yup! I agree - better stock upon all of those Lindberg kits that were on your wish list before the prices go nuts on the stuff. B)

It's interesting to note that other magazine's board doesn't say a thing about this. I hope its not true as I'd like to get a hold of some more Boyd's kits like the Aluma Coupe.

Mike

I don't know if they were molded by Lindberg or not, but I know all, including the Boyd Hauler Chevy pickup, were all sold under the Testors name.

OK,

Here's what's going on, Lingberg is still owned by Jody Keener. It is still based in my hometown of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It is still working on and producing kits. And it is not for sale. Two members of our local model club, The Alexander Lippisch IPMS/USA Chapter, work with and for Jody Keener. One member, Terry, builds the trooper cars for the box art photos as well as the dodge l-700 series of trucks and trailers. He has also built a dodge L-700 with a race car trailer bed/with surround for hauling of a Little Red Wagon, both done in candy apple red. It's been in the mags in the show sections. Ernie saw it and liked it, commissioned a second copy for box art and production and the first pops will be in our members hands soon. He is also been asked to build a 1/16 tub called the Bull Horn. It shares parts with the Laramie Stage Ghost which allegedly jody will also try to produce. His philosophy is to produce those kits that collectors want and not just your old 64 impala for the tenth billionth time... Our other member, Scott, started working part time in the company store for Ernie's replacement who has been forthcoming with the current condition of the company. Jody's company is not just a model company, it produces other lines and is run by Jody and around a dozen employees. He's just one man, he's doing the best he can, lets give him some breathing room, I think you'll be surprised what you'll seem coming out.

-steve larson

vice president of The Alexander Lippisch Model Club

post-2787-12756312363942_thumb.jpg

Edited by supernaturalone

From what I read, it was the same genius that wrecked Polar Lights (I think?) that now owns Lindberg, Hawk and all those other lines. Seems he likes to build lots of anticipation, look strong, build support, and then do something totally anti-climatic like this, and make himself look like a fool.

It's very unfortunate that these companies are owned and run by such charlatans.

Looks like I best stock up on a few things I want in short order.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, not the same person. Tom Lowe was owner of the PL brand and sold it(and all his brands) to RC2 which in turn was running it into the ground. Tom Lowe struck a deal to lease the molds and here we are today with some great stuff from MPC, Ertl and Polar Lights, due to Tom Lowe's love for these brands.

Totally different people on the Lindberg side of things. I just wanted to clarify that.

Chris

Charlie, not the same person. Tom Lowe was owner of the PL brand and sold it(and all his brands) to RC2 which in turn was running it into the ground. Tom Lowe struck a deal to lease the molds and here we are today with some great stuff from MPC, Ertl and Polar Lights, due to Tom Lowe's love for these brands.

Totally different people on the Lindberg side of things. I just wanted to clarify that.

Chris

Now I remember. After reading Steve's post, perhaps we all jumped the gun a little. Let's wait and see what happens.

Charlie Larkin

Copied this from elsewhere.....you can tell by the source........

Thanks to Tim Kidwell of Model Retailer for sharing this E-mail from Jody Keener of Lindberg:

Ernie [Petit] retired in January of this year at 75; a much-deserved man finally enjoying his own time after 53 years in the business. I have taken over his position and this is my 43rd year in the business. J. Lloyd [parent company] is and has always been the owner of Hawk Models and Lindberg, ever since Ernie was managing it.

I assure you these rumors started with an employee [who] was let go and unhappy.

Lindberg and Hawk is alive and well, and has moved 100 percent of all production back to the USA.

We have a factory that I own in Kalkaska, Michigan, 100,000 square feet that is a 24/6 facility. J. Lloyd has over $25 million in inventory, no bank debt, and is going nowhere anytime soon.

We have cut about 40 of the 150 new items planned, due to not enough support to move forward on.

I have heard rumors from the factory burning to the ground and losing all the tooling; Ernie leaving as a result of frustration; and no stock/warehouse empty – all of which is lies.

Jim Haught

Guest Johnny

This does not agree with what I have heard! According to my sources, Lindberg's production facility was taken over by tap-dancing zombies! Get your facts staight!

COOL!!! Got any videos of that???laugh.gif

This does not agree with what I have heard! According to my sources, Lindberg's production facility was taken over by tap-dancing zombies! Get your facts staight!

Jon, I think those Coos County winters have started to cause permafrost on your brain! ;)B)

This is seriously good news, especially the re-patriation of production. I say for that reason we need to start buying more of their goods and keep jobs in America and the North American trade zone.

Charlie Larkin

I can neither confirm nor deny that zombies have over run the factory, but I have a friend whos cousin's, uncle's, sister's brother works for homeland security (life challenged division) and he told me I better carry a golf club when I open my Lindberg kits from now on. :)

What's posted on the "other board" is stupidity of the highest magnitude. Heresay, innuendo, and "I know but can't tell you" chest puffing. What's here is not any more informed, but at least people are free to voice their opinions without being berated.

In other words:

If ya don't hear it here first, it doesn't exist, never happened and there

was no survivors

Edited by Zukiholic

Copied this from elsewhere.....you can tell by the source........

Thanks to Tim Kidwell of Model Retailer for sharing this E-mail from Jody Keener of Lindberg:

Ernie [Petit] retired in January of this year at 75; a much-deserved man finally enjoying his own time after 53 years in the business. I have taken over his position and this is my 43rd year in the business. J. Lloyd [parent company] is and has always been the owner of Hawk Models and Lindberg, ever since Ernie was managing it.

I assure you these rumors started with an employee [who] was let go and unhappy.

Lindberg and Hawk is alive and well, and has moved 100 percent of all production back to the USA.

We have a factory that I own in Kalkaska, Michigan, 100,000 square feet that is a 24/6 facility. J. Lloyd has over $25 million in inventory, no bank debt, and is going nowhere anytime soon.

We have cut about 40 of the 150 new items planned, due to not enough support to move forward on.

I have heard rumors from the factory burning to the ground and losing all the tooling; Ernie leaving as a result of frustration; and no stock/warehouse empty – all of which is lies.

Jim Haught

What's posted on the "other board" is stupidity of the highest magnitude. Heresay, innuendo, and "I know but can't tell you" chest puffing. What's here is not any more informed, but at least people are free to voice their opinions without being berated.

What "board" are we bashing.....this is the straight skinny....posted there first??????

All this drama over...Lindberg :blink: ? Is anything they've ever done worth more than 10 bux? Ever see people fight over a rare/expensive Lindberg kit at a show? They aren't exactly the crown jewels of the hobby. What's next, fighting over toothpicks and cotton swabs?

Narcoleptics anonymous, here I come B)

Yes, I saw that. The owner of that board seems to stir up much of the trouble. He needs to learn when to bite his tongue... or in this case, his keyboard fingers. Diplomacy is not one of his strong points.

This is seriously good news, especially the re-patriation of production. I say for that reason we need to start buying more of their goods and keep jobs in America and the North American trade zone.

Charlie Larkin

And good news for Michigan we could always use jobs here especially in the northern part of the state.

Is this another rumor, or did "chicken little" appear and is going to tell us that the "sky is falling?" Who cares! Let the sky fall and if ALL the model manufacturers close up shop that's okay too. I believe that most of us on this forum have enough unbuilt model car kits to last us a lifetime and then some. So if another manufacturer goes by the wayside,so be it. After all look what's happening to the Mercury brand and Pontiac, it's the sign of the times.

All this drama over...Lindberg :blink: ? Is anything they've ever done worth more than 10 bux? Ever see people fight over a rare/expensive Lindberg kit at a show? They aren't exactly the crown jewels of the hobby. What's next, fighting over toothpicks and cotton swabs?

Narcoleptics anonymous, here I come :P

Well I can say I really like their Dodge 330 super stock cars, and the '64 Belvedere, also the LRW,which are all nice kits that I enjoy building.

Narcoleptics anonymous, here I come :P

I have one of the Charger Super Bee kits from about a year or two ago, and yes it's the plastic body kit, and I think it was well worth the $20.00 I spent for it. I think it's much better than Revell's new Charger, in my opinion!