Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thought I should post a couple of mine...

Terry Sumner

Here's a Revell 32 full fendered coupe I built. I chopped the top myself. It's mostly all from the kit but I did change the rear suspension. I adapted the Jag rear suspension from the 28T Touring kit to fit. The headers are from the kit...from there back it's scratchbuilt. I turned the bullet mufflers on my little lathe and added muffler clamps from Detail Master. The exhaust pipes are solder. The engine is the small block Ford from the kit with added plug wires and looms from DM along with the braided hose also. The interior has a light gray flock and is otherwise kit. The paint was Boyd's. In addition to these few photos, there are a few more here on my Fotki site... http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/car-models/1932-ford-full-fend/

Any suggestions for improvement are welcome!

Overall view...

100_2694-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Chassis... And yes I do know about the canted rear tire...that flimsy little plastic axle broke and this was a temporary repair. After the photo was taken I repaired it properly with some brass tubing!

100_2695-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The engine...a poorer quality photo taken with my old camera.

engine_left-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

And here are a few of a drag car...Wild Willie Borsch's AA/FA...

Did a little extra work on this one...the front tank was turned from aluminum bar stock as were the blower pulleys. I turned new front coilovers on the lathe and wound some steel wire for the springs. More of this one here.. http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/car-models/wild-willie-borsch-aafa/

Frontend2-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

MVC029F-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I spent some time thinning out the interior of the Hilborn scoop as I always thought they were way out of scale in the thickness department. All the kit chrome was stripped off and the new shiny stuff was aluminum powder rubbed into a high gloss enamel paint that was ALMOST cured but not quite.

MVC036F-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

So fire away gents!

Well since I am just a nobody, I think they look better than my 32's that I have completed. Just wait I am sure some experts, will be able to pick it apart for you. What color is that, I know some colors dont look the same on line as they do in real life.

From one Terry to another I like them.You did some fine work man.If there are flaws you better keep them to yourself cause I see nothing wrong on them they look SWEET.Nice builds T.Now I'm nit pikin but maybe a black wash on the valve covers of the 32 would make the script stand out better.Its not a must,but a choice is all.

Well since I am just a nobody, I think they look better than my 32's that I have completed. Just wait I am sure some experts, will be able to pick it apart for you. What color is that, I know some colors dont look the same on line as they do in real life.

That color is Testors Colors By Boyd Orange Pearl.

Really, really nice. What paint did you use on the Ford firewall?

That's the same as the brightwork on the AA/FA. First you paint the firewall with a regular 'ol gloss black enamel. The when the paint is semi-dry, you rub that aluminum dust into the paint with a soft cloth. The paint has to be at the point where you can slide your finger along the paint and it still kinda grabs your finger...a little soft. It can't be cured though because if the paint is hard, the aluminum powder won't rub into the paint. The more powder you get on and the more you rub, the shinier it gets. The powder is from an S N J polishing kit. Airplane guys use it a lot for aluminum finishes.

From one Terry to another I like them.You did some fine work man.If there are flaws you better keep them to yourself cause I see nothing wrong on them they look SWEET.Nice builds T.Now I'm nit pikin but maybe a black wash on the valve covers of the 32 would make the script stand out better.Its not a must,but a choice is all.

Thanks...you might be right. The script does kinda fade into the background.

Very nice, clean work, Terry!

I especially like the 32 coupe. Are those kit wheels?

Is that a cogged blower belt I see on the AA/FA?

You asked so I'll comment. The only thing that sticks out to me is I think the corrugations in the air cleaner were meant to replicate a paper filter. Flat white paint here would be the fix.

Very nice, clean work, Terry!

I especially like the 32 coupe. Are those kit wheels?

Is that a cogged blower belt I see on the AA/FA?

You asked so I'll comment. The only thing that sticks out to me is I think the corrugations in the air cleaner were meant to replicate a paper filter. Flat white paint here would be the fix.

Yes, they are the kit wheels. I painted the spokes a gray Metalizer (forgot exactly which one) And yes, it's a cogged blower belt. I picked that belt up at some show somewhere years ago and had it in my stash just waiting for the right blower to put it on. But danged if I can remember who it came from...sorry.

And thanks for the suggestion on the air filter...you're absolutely right. I was even thinking of that when I posted the picture! LOL One of these days I'll get to it. Probably the next time I have some flat white in use for something else...

Very nice work Terry! My main critique regards the "Wild Willie" Altered. It might look a little better, (If possibly less authentic), if the blower, injectors, valve covers & scoop had some contrasting colors/shading, or even some washes. They all tend to blend together a bit too much, at least to my eyes. The valve covers could certainly use a black wash in the ribbing for contrast.

I tend to use Testors Jet Exhaust color on a lot of my blower cases & front & rear parts, with the manifold in aluminum. That seems to make a nice contrast, looks realistic & breaks up the appearance just enough.

:lol:

Yeah I think you're right. They do look stark... Thanks Bud!

Except for the things you already know(valve cover emblems, air filter), I think they're very nice indeed. That '32 just looks soooooo right....or maybe it's just ME, tired of lookin' at rat rods! It's nice to see a well done street rod.

That's the same as the brightwork on the AA/FA. First you paint the firewall with a regular 'ol gloss black enamel. The when the paint is semi-dry, you rub that aluminum dust into the paint with a soft cloth. The paint has to be at the point where you can slide your finger along the paint and it still kinda grabs your finger...a little soft. It can't be cured though because if the paint is hard, the aluminum powder won't rub into the paint. The more powder you get on and the more you rub, the shinier it gets. The powder is from an S N J polishing kit. Airplane guys use it a lot for aluminum finishes.

S N J polishing powder is the only thing I've found that makes a bigger mess on the workbench than flocking. :lol: