Model Cars Magazine Forum

To create or not to create?

Expanding the forums  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a category to be added for non-automotive subjects?

• yes
    • no

I've seen some pretty nice non-automotive subjects showing up here on occasion, and alot of us do build stuff besides just cars & trucks. I know this was being discussed at one point, but I haven't seen anymore talk about it..

So, perhaps a fresh Poll could help the forum administration decide whether or not to add on a sub forum for those types of replicas and models.

Just a thought.

Well, at least a motorcycle section could be added IMHO. A lot of car modellers do enjoy motorcycles as well. What I certainly wouldn't enjoy is a section for all the stuff by people who think the war didn't last long enough.

What I certainly wouldn't enjoy is a section for all the stuff by people who think the war didn't last long enough.

If we do add an "other models" section, you always have the option of ignoring it... :lol:

But based on previous responses, I think most members would say "yes" to an "other models" section.

MCM translates to Model CARS Magazine. Why is it so hard to understand. There are plenty of other forums out there that cater to non auto subjects (I know Im a member of some) this is for auto subjects.

Yes, but just because this forum and supporting magazine is for automotive subjects, it doesn't mean all the members exclusively build just automobiles. That should be evident from the race plane community build project currently going on. Yeah, my collection is 90-95% automotive related, but the other 5-10% is ships, planes, etc., including the plane I have entered in the race plane build. Of course, like you said, there are other forums out there for non auto subjects, but even Finescale has an auto section, too. There are probably many members like me who may build an occasional plane or ship, but would feel like an idiot posting it on Finescale, just as a predominately military modeler who might build one or two cars every 5 years would be embarrassed to post a car here.

Well, at least a motorcycle section could be added IMHO. A lot of car modellers do enjoy motorcycles as well. What I certainly wouldn't enjoy is a section for all the stuff by people who think the war didn't last long enough.

I don't think that is it at all. I myself have some military vehicles, and most are 2 1/2 ton trucks, but I also have some tanks, bombers, and fighter jets just because I like the particular subject, nothing else. I also have some commerical jets and space craft. I even have a few train kits like this one.

HPIM1711.jpg

I do agree motorcycles are enjoyed by car modelers, too. I have some myself, and maybe adding a section in the car section for them just like the NASCAR and drag car section might be a better idea then just lumping them in the "Other Models".

I think a non auto sub forum would be a decent idea As was stated if I was to build a ship or plane I wouldn't go join a whole new forum just to show 1.

As for that forum change ya can't speak of just please speak enough to tell me we aint gonna be changin the entire site again

Nobody would be forced to look at a section of the forum they have no interest in, that's entirely up to them. I have zero interest in slot car racing, don't really feel it fits in with scale modeling as far as creating scale replicas, & have been to that section of the forum 1-2 times since I've been here but have no problem with it being on the forum.

Many of us build other types of scale models & have incorporated techniques we've learned from those other modeling interests in our car modeling & vice versa. I see nothing wrong in an additional section & voted in favor of it.

BTW, I have nothing against slot cars, but I tend to place them in the same category as RC cars, & less as in a scale model replica, thus my comments.

:wacko:

BUT I DROVE A SLOT CAR TO HIGH SCHOOL. I'D BUY A CASE OF 'EM. REVELL WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS BY IGNORING THIS SEGMENT OF THE MARKET.

oh, wait. wrong argument.

Guest Johnny

There is a major reworking of the site coming soon. I can't lay out any details, but stay tuned...

The only change I want is from McDonalds!!! I hate change!sad.gif

could we pleas at least ban DONKs PLEEEEEEEEASE they're silly in 1:1 and scale

just havin some fun :lol: no mean to hurt anyones feelins

You ain't hurtin' my feelings one bit, I agree totally! I seen one in the local Walmart parking lot last week with more ground clearance than my 1990 Ford F350 4X4! :lol:

MCM translates to Model CARS Magazine. Why is it so hard to understand. There are plenty of other forums out there that cater to non auto subjects. This is for auto subjects.

I couldn't have said it better myself. There's a reason I buy MCM and SA(E)and not FSM. I'm interested in model cars, not ships, tanks, trains or planes.

PS Jeff, I noticed the distinct lack of an "Oh, hell no" option for your poll. Any chance this could still be added on?

Could we please at least ban DONKs PLEEEEEEEEASE they're silly in 1:1 and scale

Ledsled, I doubt they'll ban them since they're still technically automobiles, but I wish they'd at least put them and lowriders in their own separate section.

Harry's note regarding "a major reworking of this site" pretty much tells me the decision to include at least some of the other junk has already been made.

Edited by Monty

Hey Gang,

Ya know, when this came up awhile back, I threw 2 pennies in, but the more I think about it, in my humble opinion, this should remain a model car forum. Adding motorcycles (not bicycles) would be cool, but, as previously stated, it is Model Car Magazine. And why should we keep it as is? Because of what I did today. I did another BMF session, (spectacular), airbrushed, (spectacular), wired an engine, (spectacular) and hope to work on this car over the next few days and make it the first one I ever posted. And why is it so spectacular (in my humble opinion)? Because of the great folks on this great forum. I look over your shoulders at your models, read your comments over and over, waste a lot of paint, EZ Off, BMF, glue, sandpaper, etc. but you know what? I spend a lot less time redoing and a lot more time....doing. I have been looking at cars, just cars, nothing but cars, your cars, and I have used the forum exactly as I intended to use the forum when I joined in February. To return to the hobby...and become a whole lot better than I was when I stopped 20 years ago. Sure, I drop some comments, ask some questions, waded into a thread I should have not touched, but, 99.9% of the time I was using what you folks do to make what I do better, and it worked. It would not have held my interest as a watered-down model car forum, I have visited a couple of those, but I log on here at least twice a day.

I love it here, and I love what happens here. It wouldn't be the same if you change it. Create another place in another space, but please leave this alone. Start another magazine, start another something.... but please leave this place alone. 2 pennies are now in the jar. Thanks for reading.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

I dont build other then cars, but I think a thread, with other then cars would be a kewl idea so my vote is yes, sure why not, we can see other builds too...

Sounds like a Great Idea.

I wouldn't mind seeing other types of models here either.

Guess I'm just not as close minded as others.

If you don't like it, don't view it.

It's That simple....

BTW: I don't mind Donks, it's just another form of automotive expression.

Not everybody likes Jacked up or lowered trucks either.

On the Plus side, it keeps everybody here and Happy.

And that is one to grow on..

MCM Cars mean vehicles, and vehicles mean trasportation, transportation in turn is something that we set in and ride in order to get somewhere. So Yes I would vote for it, because I want to eventually get into ships, and planes. Ill vote yes as long as there is no higher taxes to get in here lol. :blink:

Even if you aren't interested in anything but cars, there is a lot to learn from modellers doing other subjects. For example, the weathering techniques some use on their model cars were largely developed by the railway and military folks. Them ship modellers can possibly teach us a thing or two about building a woody body from real wood, and stuff like that. I think it always has its advatages, if one allows an as wide spectrum as possible.

I voted yes.

My main coarse is diecast cars and tractors. I subscribe to the magazine because it's Model Cars.

That said I joined the Model Cars forum to meet other builders and learn new modeling techniques.

AzTom

Hey Gang,

Hopefully I am not one of the narrow-minded or closed-minded people that were previously referred to. I also subscribe to SMC, FSM, have armor experience, plane, boat, flat paint, weathering, pastels, etc. and it does nothing but increase my knowledge and abilities. Everything you learn will help make you a better modeler, no matter what you build. But I realized my passion in modeling is cars, (and an occasional bike) and this is the place for that. There are plenty of other places for the above mentioned things, and people would be missing a lot by not visiting those places. The more you see, the more you absorb, the more you learn. That is great, we all need to keep doing that, know I will, I am smart enough to know how dumb I am. I will always keep seeking new info, anyplace I can get it, to make myself better, as I am sure you are all doing as well. Don't ya just love this hobby, and love this place? I do!!

Let me ask you this, would you rather walk into a good LHS and see models, or would you like to go to one of the big retailers and wade through diapers, canned food, makeup, assemble-yourself furniture, shoes, kids fashion (you get the idea) before you get to why you went there in the first place. If you are trying to make this place, like a big retailer, into a know-all, show-all, catch-all, have-all with everything model related, it WILL lose its special flavor, and just be another, well.....big retailer. I like the Mom & Pop feel of this place, that will not stay the same. It's not about being closed minded, it's about changing the flavor. Mom & Pop vs. Walmart. Both have their purpose, but where would you rather spend your time brousing? But what do I know? Anybody got change for a nickel? B)

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

I am one of those narrow, closed mind people. This is the Model Car Magazine forum. I don't really mind pickup trucks because I build them every so often. Okay, Christian? Being narrow & closed minded allows me to say that I don't care about NASCAR. I don't like country music and refuse to eat liver, and will never eat ham & limas again. And no matter how you take my above statements, I love all you people here at the Model Car Magazine forum. (Thank you. I feel better now).

Even if you aren't interested in anything but cars, there is a lot to learn from modellers doing other subjects. For example, the weathering techniques some use on their model cars were largely developed by the railway and military folks. Them ship modellers can possibly teach us a thing or two about building a woody body from real wood, and stuff like that. I think it always has its advatages, if one allows an as wide spectrum as possible.

Christian has made the point I was going to make quite eloquently. There are so many ideas out there that you can adapt techniques from one aspect of modeling to another. Sometimes, just looking at different things can provide the inspiration you need to get a project moving, too.

Charlie Larkin

Christian has made the point I was going to make quite eloquently. There are so many ideas out there that you can adapt techniques from one aspect of modeling to another. Sometimes, just looking at different things can provide the inspiration you need to get a project moving, too.

Charlie Larkin

I agree with all of that, as long as other types of models were usually presented with "how I did what I did" descriptions or Work in Progress journals – painting techniques & materials, aftermarket sources for things like rivets, etc., with brand names and other information of use to all modelers. At the very least, having that kind of forum would stimulate dialogue and glean specific information from experts on other subjects. It would hopefully broaden the scope of our "Tips, Tricks & Tutorial" section. Without that, I think there would be quite a drop-off in interest here.