Model Cars Magazine Forum

You DO NOT need high tech equipment or deep pockets to build highly detailed models

I've seen alot of discussion here lately about building highly detailed stuff and the misconception of needing lots of money and/or state of the art-high tech milling machines and lathes etc, in order to get the job done.

Yes, being able to afford all those pre-made, pre-packaged, mass produced, detailing products certainly makes things easier, as well as being one of the select few who own and operate some of those high tech milling machines, but there ARE other options in case you're not one of those individuals that fall into that small group of folks that I just mentioned.

I've been detailing stuff for nearly 20 years now. I have never owned a single piece of high tech equipment other than a cordless drill, a single speed dremel, bench grinder, a set of jewlers files, and a pin vise kit. That's it! Hardly what I'd call state of the art equipment.

The cheap tools I use, may seem like a pretty crude and amteurish arsenal to have for attempting to super detail along side the "big boys" of the hobby, but using those "cheap tools" along with a little extra time and patience, can often yeild results that are just as good, and cost ALOT less. I've always been a big fan of high tech low budget building.

Take a moment and check out the pics below....Most of what you are seeing I have built using cheap craft store and hardware store products. Yes, there is a little bit of PE and other various small aftermarket items included in some of the projects, but most of the detail you are seeing was fabricated and hand crafted on a very small budget.

If I can get some extra time over the winter, I will do some scratchbuilding tutorials and show you how alot of these fancy parts can be created without the need of expensive tools and large bank accounts.

buickengine.jpg

buick537.jpg

completeddriveshaft2.jpg

buicksteeringassy.jpg

buicksteeringshaft4.jpg

oc6.jpg

49e.jpg

mm.jpg

49a.jpg

• Like 1

Neat stuff. Hope you didn't think I was accusing you (or anyone here) of check book modelling. The linkages and u-joints do not look store bought, but look like someone did some really good work in shaping and forming sheet aluminum into a dead solid perfect miniature version of the real thing. It's neat when people who are creative enough to devise a way to do this show a way to get there. Me, I'm still in basics mode, but it is neat to see the envelope stretched and even blowed up from time to time. Thanks!

Ken

Jeff, thanks for finally posting a positive topic on this issue! I've seen and replied to the other topics you referred to also trying to pound the point home you don't need a seven figure bank account to build well detailed models. Even some of the aftermarket products can be purchased on a working man's income. You don't need a huge bank account for this hobby, just some patience and the willingness to try new things. I look forward to seeing some of your tutorials this winter! :P

I've been detailing stuff for nearly 20 years now. I have never owned a single piece of high tech equipment other than a cordless drill, a single speed dremel, bench grinder, a set of jewlers files, and a pin vise kit. That's it! Hardly what I'd call state of the art equipment.

The best part is through Craigslist, your local shoppers, newspaper for sale ads, and what have you, you can pick up all of this stuff for very, very short money. You can probably get all of this for well under $100 if you don't mind used equipment, or you probably already have some of these. Even good quality new tools, like jeweler's files aren't really too expensive.

Charlie Larkin

Wow! What great work. I will be watching close to this one . I have always been a kit builder. Box stock was the norm for me. I have been a little daunted by the details. I want to learn some of the tricks of the trade. Any cheap tip will help. I have already found a ton of useful info on this board. I have been lurking for awhile

I've hardly had any bench time this summer, but things tend to slow down for me in the colder months, so I hope to get to some tutorials that will cover some of the scratchbuilt metal parts I have used like block and pin steering linkages, Front struts & coilovers, driveshafts, U-joints, simple rack and pinion streering, Fuel cells, 4-links, etc...

Most of this stuff can be created with K&S aluminum stock and hardware store aluminum sheet and bar...It's very inexpensive, but it can be time consuming until you get comfortable working small, and develop a groove or "system" that works.

I'll try and cover the basic approaches I have come up with, and some of the the little things I do. I'm sure some you guys can and will take this stuff even further than I have. Once you get to scratch building stuff, it's hard to stop, and the sky is the limit.

I agree with everything you said Jeff.

I scratch build alot myself,I have a 69 Chevelle that has 230 pieces that were scratch built because I decided to build my own frame and one thing led to another.

I am scratch building a lot of parts for a 1/12 scale Camaro,one thing is the Corvette style rear end that has the u-joints,and a how to on building them the way yours look would be great.

The ones that I built are ok but building them the way yours look would be better.

Your models look good with all the details,and knowing that a lot of it was scratch built,makes them all the more impressive.

Keep up the good work.

I'm with you on this one J. I build fairly detailed stuff and if you all saw my tools you'd laugh. I literally have alomost nothing in the way of any tools outside of a god pin vise [maybe 8 bits total]. I make all my own barrel valves and distribution blocks out of Plastruct. A good sleeve of plastruct can last a looooong time when you're building little parts. I have plenty or reference pics available and I go to work to make what I need.

I do use PE I admit, but it is really limited to throttle bits and safety belts pretty much. I do use Detail Master AN fittings but am currently using Plastruct hex stock on a 1/16th Garlits build and I have it down cold. They look every bit as good and I don't have to ration them. I'm also using the hex stock for bolt heads and many other items. Plastruct flat stock has so many uses I couldn't go over them in a single evening there's that many. Plastruct is not terribly expensive so I pick up a little each time I'm at the LHS. K&S aluminum rod is also a big deal that is pretty darned cheap. I buy a couple of pieces every time I'm at the LHS and my collection grows slowly but steadily.

The things that cost me the most are paint and kits. I don't even own an airbrush. I think my finishes are as good as most and all I use are rattle cans and the experience I've gained using them. I've made mistakes, but learned from them.

Bob

I've always been a devotee of "raiding Mom's sewing basket" for details. And your work has always inspired me, Jeff, but those two carbs in the first two photos! The innards and the top edges are what all carbs need ... got a quick comment about how those were done? :P

You will have a big audience here if you do start some tutorials as you mention!

You are forgetting two things that are required to do the detailing that you do without buying the stuff or haveing the fancy tools! One is the time to do it! Something I cant afford as much as I really wish I could! Second is skill! brother, thats something you have a lot of and I know I have nill to none of! But thats why I like watching some of these posts like yours and others that do it that way! Once in a while, I even see how to do something cool! Now comes a third issue for me. Thats a memory to remember these things! LOL!

Time for my two cents....

There's a difference between buying and modeling. I see J.'s work and I know its the result of a skilled craftsman. I see others post their work and I see the result of someone buying this and adding it to that. I have a lot of the "high tech" tools and I'm not sure they're a help or a hindrance. Having them is great. Knowing how to use them is a skill I lack. I spent the summer moving them and if I ever get my tools settled, I might actually model. And get off of this computer....

Mike

Jeff i told you before and i'll tell you again.... Your model building skills are sick! But i do agree with you , you dont need pricey equipment to build great models. My favorite tool is my dremel and the better you get at using the tools you have at hand the more you will figure out to do with it. Keep up the good work Jeff and I'll be looking forward to your tutorials. Romell

For me, a big part of the fun of model building is making a good looking model using ordinary materials and tools. I use a Dremel, a drill, and files a lot, and I often use cheap Walmart paint, and it looks good enough for me! I also like to get cheap kits from garage sales, flea markets, or ebay glue bombs and rebuild them. I also build most of my R/C planes from scratch. Most of the guys in our R/C club buy $200+ ready to fly stuff. I get $10 worth of balsa and build my own, and it flies as good as theirs. If I crash it, I'm out $10, not $200. It's a lot more fun that way for me.

Sam