Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear body kits

I have always wanted to build a visible V8, but you say now they don't have the electric motor or the lighting spark plugs? personally I could do without the electric motor (probably the leading cause of breakage if not everything is up to tolerances) but the lighting plugs are a must. I have always marveled that someone could put one of those together and have it actually work, with that electric motor.

jb

MPC J-car. I still have some of the body left somewhere.

184692-12135.jpg?nr=501-200&company=mpc&

Here is Bud Anderson's build of that kit. His picture is on the side of the box.

loresjcar-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Some other clear kits I had or have:

Speed Racer Mach 5

An older Datsun 1600 convertible

The Mr Gasser Mustang

Me and my friend Tim Lantz totally fell for the Clearview 2000 gag. We found out when we started talking about using it at a model club meeting. Doh!

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

By the way, a fun story which has nothing to do with clear models, but one to do with the theme of me working with kids and yearbooks. I also sub at the high school I use to attend in Columbia Heights, MN. One day while in the library, some kids asked to see a photo of me in an old yearbook. We found a yearbook, and opened it up to my picture. One girl looks at it and says "That's not you!" I said, "Yes it is, see here's my name next to it." Again, she insisted that that's not me. After several times of trying to convince her it's me, I finally ask why she thinks it not me? She pointed to the picture and said, "That guy is hot."

Ah, out of the mouths of babes. I guess I should be happy she didn't look at me that way now. But, I'm left wondering why the girls didn't seem to think that back in the day?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

By the way, a fun story which has nothing to do with clear models, but one to do with the theme of me working with kids and yearbooks. I also sub at the high school I use to attend in Columbia Heights, MN. One day while in the library, some kids asked to see a photo of me in an old yearbook. We found a yearbook, and opened it up to my picture. One girl looks at it and says "That's not you!" I said, "Yes it is, see here's my name next to it." Again, she insisted that that's not me. After several times of trying to convince her it's me, I finally ask why she thinks it not me? She pointed to the picture and said, "That guy is hot."

Scott

Do you watch That '70s Show? In high school I was a dead ringer for Eric. Now I look like Red. :lol:

And Hyde and Fez are pretty good composites of my stoner and nerd friends. I never got a Hot Donna, though.

I have one other clear (airplane) model: Glencoe's reissue of the old Strombecker Republic Seabee (the windows were molded into the fuselage):

004_1067x800_zps25498f81.jpg

(Image from britmodeller.com forum member Swordfish Fairey) Trouble is there's no interior; you have to either scratchbuild the whole interior or paint over the windows. I'll probably build the interior on mine as the rest is pretty simple.

I used to have a clear bodied J car kit ( sold it looooong time ago) had to find a picture on the net .

I think all the MPC 1968 thru 1970 Charger kits had a clear hood ( maybe even the 68-69 Coronet kits as well )

Polar lights did the clear bodied funnycar kits and they had a translucent bodies as well

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Interesting these aren't mentioned in Tim Boyd's new book

Ive never seen another one built. and only 1 or 2 unbuilt. This is molded in clear red plastic

Its the molded in clear versions that can be found occasionally, and even it the Charger is the easier of the 2 to find

• 10 months later...