Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tractor Trailer Community Build

highway

Hello all Thanks for the interest in my KW wish i had an update but i dont i've been real busy with work and family things havent had ANY time to work on anything but i'm back at the workbench and getting back to things i hope to have something soon on this i still need to order some parts too

Thanks,Willie

• 2 weeks later...

i got the trailer and got stuff planed out in it and i still want to haul 2 cars and have a living area so it looks like the trailer is going get chopped up. heres my new plan

dssctt-1.jpg

and heres what im thinking on the inside

mod17545.jpg

going do some work on it today

I just felt everyone involved with this build should know what is going on in my life outside here, just so you don't think I've left everyone. As of Tuesday Dec. 20, 2011, I will be evicted from my home and I will not be online indefinitely because I don't have anywhere to go. Please keep the build going and I will catch up whenever I can and life gets sorted out. Thanks, Matt.

i got a few hours of work done on mine today.

first i worked on gettin the cummings finished and marked up

100_6429.jpg

then i made the stacks

100_6433.jpg

then worked on the bed

100_6435.jpg

then the trailer sides

100_6474.jpg

then wanted to see what itll look like

100_6448.jpg

100_6447.jpg

100_6472.jpg

then wanted to see it with some of my cars outside of it

heres the bronco and bronco rock buggy thats 90% scratch built

100_6469.jpg

and heres the buggy, 65 boss 429 mustang, and the t-top 351 cleveland powered capri

100_6465.jpg

im debating on rather or not making it taller all the way to the front, up over the living quarters. then ill be able to haul 4 cars plus have the living quarters. or maybe just after the fifth wheel or bedroom area. im working on making a belly tanker that would fit perfect in the shorter area of it. and i have some diamond plate stuff the would work as the floor. im not sure on the look of it after thou. i think it would look to big unless i some how could make it slope the whole way back or something. any ideas?

ok so here what im kinda thinking.

option 1

100_6474withcars.jpg

dsscttl.jpg

option 2

100_6474fl12.jpg

dsscttl3.jpg

option 3

100_6474fl1.jpg

dsscttl2.jpg

and any other ideas please tell me. right now i can get the rock buggy and ether mustang or capri in. if i do my 32 fords i can get the coupe and 5 window in plus any other car. i would love to get 4 cars in, ill be happy with getting 3 normal length cars in. and i really really dont want to make it longer.

Edited by ford514

i decided to glue the front chassis to the rear/bed part. then i finally got all 6 of the same tires that match and fit the rims and look good. so i did alittle test fit and making sure the chassis is level and the right height. and put the cab on and took a couple pictures. looks pretty good to me. make me more excited to finish it. i plan on adding about 1/2 inch below the cab and about 3/4 inch front bumper and make some kind of grill guard. kinda like on a semi truck. then i might build a dash to resemble a semi and then i gotta make the drive shafts, exhaust, and maybe see about chopping up some 53 ford fenders for the bed, i have a few sets. and i want to add something so the bed doesnt look so flat. then ill work on the trailer/hauler.

heres some pictures of the truck.

100_6481.jpg

100_6480.jpg

and yes thats the shifter from the peterbuilt in the cab. cant remember where the seats came from but i wanna say a mustang. they remind me of semi truck seats thou and they fitted really good.

heres what im thinking with the fenders, bumper, and sides

100_64761.jpg

Edited by ford514

• 3 weeks later...

ive done alittle work on the trailer. made a little work area and the wall and door for the living area. and the upper door for the back

100_6502.jpg

100_6503-1.jpg

100_6504.jpg

been kinda slow on it. im going work on the living area as soon as i get more supply for all the cabinets i gotta make

• 2 weeks later...

I've painted and installed those rear axles. I don't know why, but I painted them before assembling axle halves together. But luckily they fit nicely together, and that little seam, what left there, can't be seen very well from Finished build.

P1300133.jpg

Yesterday I glued tires and wheels together. It wasn't easy job, everything else has been quite easy to install, but those rear tires and wheels were really tricky. I managed to get everything fit allright anyway. Luckily front tires and wheels were easy to get together.

P2020163.jpg

I installed front shocks, and some other parts to the chassis, and painted all of those bolts and nuts with silver, just to make them look more realistic. Then I installed those tires&wheels, they fit pretty nicely, and all of them touch the ground.

P2030181.jpg

P2030182.jpg

P2030184.jpg

P2030185.jpg

P2030186.jpg

Engine is now ready to be mounted, needs to install two more parts to the frame, before I can install that engine. I'm not sure, am I going to display this with the hood closed, or open. I've also painted the propeller shaft.

Anyway, I have built this engine with no pressure or stress, it's not as nice as it could be, but I'm pretty happy about it. :rolleyes:

P2050207.jpg

P2050208.jpg

P2050209.jpg

I know U have changed the rules slightly which is a disappointment BUT I still think that a 5th wheeler doesn't qualify as a semi-trailer (tractor-trailer rig for my U.S. Friends) otherwise U are going to end up with a thread full of 5th wheelers. Oh by the way I will be (hopefully) entering a Kenworth S.A.R. Hook Loader or a Peterbilt prime mover with trailer.

Dingo B)

Edited by Dingo5162

Yeah, where are the other projects?

Engine is installed to the frame. It didn't fit very well there, but I finally managed to get it glued nicely. I guess there's no way to take it away anymore without a saw. Hopefully I can finish waxing the cab and front clip tomorrow.

P2060213.jpg

P2060214.jpg

P2060215.jpg

P2060216.jpg

P2060217.jpg

It will be either one or the other BUT not both as I don't have time to do both, apart fom looking at this interne thing I have a wife to look after and she is very demanding with her disability and all.

000_3958.jpg

00001.jpg

This may yet be scratch built either of plastic or cardstock & cardboard.

000_3952.jpg

And the basis for my S.A.R. Kenworth Hook Loader.

000_3953.jpg

000_3955.jpg

000_3959.jpg

Dingo B)

Edited by Dingo5162

• 2 weeks later...

I know U have changed the rules slightly which is a disappointment BUT I still think that a 5th wheeler doesn't qualify as a semi-trailer (tractor-trailer rig for my U.S. Friends) otherwise U are going to end up with a thread full of 5th wheelers. Oh by the way I will be (hopefully) entering a Kenworth S.A.R. Hook Loader or a Peterbilt prime mover with trailer.

Dingo B)

Actually Dingo, here in the states the 5th wheelers like the one I posted the pic of in the opening post of the thread fall under the same US DOT regulations as us big trucks do, and the reason I've allowed them to be in the build. They are a common sight in the truckstops here, too. B)

As for your entry, I will get it added to the list here shortly and if anyone has been missed, please send me a PM and let me know to add your entry, and please do it by PM ONLY so I don't miss it here in the thread! The reason is I haven't been able to work on the little big rigs lately because I have been working on something a little larger, this!

012212105146.jpg

This is my 2012 Pete 386 that I have been cruising the nation's highways in! I had a very bad December and on top of being jobless, I also lost my home I was renting and the relationship I had with my now ex fiancee of 10 years. So, being out of work, homeless and alone, I decided to go back to the road. As such, until I have the chance to get mobile internet services, my time to check in on the forum is very limited to time that I spend in a motel room as I'm doing at the moment or when I get home to a friend's house.

Keep building on and hopefully soon I can at least get things straightened out so I can build again, in the meantime I'll be rolling down the highway in the 1:1!!

Highway! I'm so very sorry to hear about your troubles but it looks like your well on your way to picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I took a couple of similar hard hits like yours back in '07... It DOES get better, just takes a bit of time, is all. As a former truckdriver, let me say that your decision to get back behind the wheel is exactly the same one I would have made if had to do it all again... That's a good looking truck, Werner always did have decent, up to date equipment.

Keep on movin', buddy! When life startes to bite back, I'm a firm believer that a moving target is harder to hit! ;)

Stay safe out there!

• 1 month later...

Actually Dingo, here in the states the 5th wheelers like the one I posted the pic of in the opening post of the thread fall under the same US DOT regulations as us big trucks do, and the reason I've allowed them to be in the build. They are a common sight in the truckstops here, too. B)

As for your entry, I will get it added to the list here shortly and if anyone has been missed, please send me a PM and let me know to add your entry, and please do it by PM ONLY so I don't miss it here in the thread! The reason is I haven't been able to work on the little big rigs lately because I have been working on something a little larger, this!

012212105146.jpg

This is my 2012 Pete 386 that I have been cruising the nation's highways in! I had a very bad December and on top of being jobless, I also lost my home I was renting and the relationship I had with my now ex fiancee of 10 years. So, being out of work, homeless and alone, I decided to go back to the road. As such, until I have the chance to get mobile internet services, my time to check in on the forum is very limited to time that I spend in a motel room as I'm doing at the moment or when I get home to a friend's house.

Keep building on and hopefully soon I can at least get things straightened out so I can build again, in the meantime I'll be rolling down the highway in the 1:1!!

so.....seeing how you have been driving that for a while...i have to ask....CAN YOU PULL A "BO DUKE" IN IT YET?....LOL.....i to am going after cdl's i really have no choice in the matter ...i do or i live under a bridge....hince why i havent been building lately (much) ....but trying to find the funding is the problem....

When life startes to bite back, I'm a firm believer that a moving target is harder to hit! ;)

Stay safe out there!

eh i like that! :P