Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good luck to our northern neighbors

My parents were driving from St. Paul to Detroit during the blizzard of 78!!! They made it! They were driving a VW Dasher Wagon! My dad grew up in Duluth and learned to drive on the snow covered hills there. They were staying with friends who had invited people over for a dinner. Many canceled out on them - too hazardous to cross town! They were told that the Martins just drove in from Minnesota - get your butt over here!!

I used to drive SAAB 99s and they were the next best thing to all wheel drive. Skinny tires, high ground clearance and the bottom of the car shaped like a tobaggan! My SAAB 95 was even better and it weighed less. Those cars made driving in the snow fun! We had 28" Halloween night in '91. I made it anywhere where someone had broken through. I couldn't manage packed snow but if even one 4wd made it through I could follow plowing snow aside with my bumper. It was a proud moment for me. :(

Here in the Twin Cities we had a dusting of 3-5 inches from this system. More annoying than anything. :huh:

Zipper, I love the J-10 model! When I bought it back in '05, my Wagoneer was in as rough a condition as your Cherokee is. lotsa TLC, some sheetmetal, a roll of fluxcore wire for the welder and Dad and I rebuilt another one! You oughta find someone that knows their way around a welder, or teach yourself to weld like I did, pick up some 22ga sheet metal for the body and some 16ga for the clutch linkage mounts and put her back together. Trust me brother, it can be done. My '81 is proof of that. That Cherokee CAN be saved!

Ohh, here's my first take on the Revell kit...

33p6o0n.jpg

Your J-10 looks cool in military dress ! wish I would have bought a few more of those Revell Jeep kits !! Some one told me they were molded in pink ? so I only grabbed one at Hobby Lobby when they were 1/2 off. I could'nt sell that Jeep with the plow for $750.00 the way it sat-took it to the scrap yard and got $1,200.00 for it. :(

One of my friends called and said the snow was up to his knees--if you jump head first !!! :huh::lol::lol:

I've not seen one in pink before, I think one of the releases was molded in red... Mine did start life as the 'Pink Poison' kit but it was molded in white. I made the wagon top struts from brass rod and the canvas cover from tissue and diluted white glue.

I do hate to hear that you had to part with that Cherokee. :P but, it's understandable. I've had several offers on mine but won't sell. I've heard too many former Full Size Jeep owners say that they wish they had kept theirs... Mine is actually my daily driver. It doesn't just come out when the weather's bad.

You're friend's getting hit pretty hard by this storm. Here, it's still sleeting. There's about three inches of sleet in the drive and the wind is still raising Caine. :D

Edited by Wagoneer81

We had sleet last night-changed to snow and is still snowing, I have 4-5 foot drifts in my yard and both my cars ( 74 Plymouth Scamp and an 88 Dodge Lancer)are half covered in snow, and we had to shovel a place for my barking buddies (2 three pound dogs) to "Go", Hope every one stays safe, I will be thinking good thoughts for us all.

Take care guys

A section of I-80 is closed west of Joliet, Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is closed and part of the roof is being blown off Wrigley Field (and the Cubs aren't even playing :P ) so part of Clark St and Addison are closed........

I looked out my back window about 15 minutes ago and I can't really tell how much snow we've got. Whats in the backyard has drifted and what would be on the garage roof has blown off because its so windy. I live 3 blocks away from one of the salt depots but I haven't noticed many trucks driving by here so I'm not sure whats going on......... :D

Edited by slantasaurus

Traffic on Lake Shore Drive was at a standstill... people were sitting in traffic for hours, and everyone started running out of gas, so they started abandoning their cars and walking! So they closed Lake Shore Dive altogether so they can plow it. But how are they going to plow it with dozens of abandoned cars on it?

Might use the snowfall as an excuse to finish MY Revell Jeep project (Pink Poison- molded rather poorly in white)-

IMG_68741-vi.jpg

Earl Bassett's truck from the first two Tremors flicks! :lol:

Fun fact- When the Jeep kit was announced for reissue in 2001, it was listed as "Mr. Deadwrench", but between the time it was announced and the time it was released, Dale Earnhart was killed, so they changed the name to the highly improbable "Pink Poison". I also have the "Dude" version which is from 1981, it's molded in a red-orange and has a topper cap.

Chicago is now closed.......please come back tomorrow when we reopen for business.... :lol::lol::lol:

Lol, Dad thinks it might take a wee bit longer, like mid Thursday :lol:

The shop ended up closing at 6:30 tonight and so far we'll probably be open tomorrow........aaaaand.....I may have to work..................

Before I forget, or get legitimately sick.........

The parking lot at work just after 6:00pm, anybody who'd been to the store should recognize the view :lol:

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

and one shot out the back door shortly there after. Don't let the bare spots fool you, that snow between the Honda and my Jeep was around ankle deep! The silver Honda got stuck and I ended up having to push it out when we left, I just powered through the same drift when I left a a few minutes later.

IMG_2796.jpg

Here's North Ave. and Rte. 59 in West Chicago.

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

And Main Street, it was so dead that I actually stopped to take the pic and didn't cause a problem doing so!

IMG_2801.jpg

As daylight breaks I just went upstairs to check conditions........looking out the front door, most of our yard has 6"-12" with a 30" snow drift just in front of the front steps, not too bad. And the street seems to be driveable from the 2 cars I saw go by. We had a political sign out by the fron sidewalk but now it seems to be up by the house in front of my bedroom, not sure how that happened....???.....looking out my back door (good song.......), 3 1/2 foot snow drifts with what looks like at least 2 foot elsewhere, can't tell how bad the alley is. Still snowing but not too bad. It's hard to see out back as the door is completely covered with snow. Its gonna be fun trying to get to the garage to get the shovel and start digging out but I'm in no hurry, it'll be there later........

Morning breaks in the Berkshires as Chicago is no more. There's no snow going on here, just sleet .. bah! Looks like my morning McMuffin won't be today.

I tried to Goggle CHICAGO and got a "does not exist" error.

But, I'm doing some van painting no matter what!

Edited by Foxer

Agreed times 2, those Jeeps are(were) great vehicles !! This was one of the best "trucks" I've owned, the body was so rusty the clutch linkage won't stay in place B) If it had been an automatic trans I'm sure it would still be running and pushing snow-->

010-75.jpg

Poor 'ol Curly is dragging his belly already B) and it's just starting here--->

001-6.jpg

002-31.jpg

005.jpg

This is the way our drive way looks right now-I'll post a picture of the same shot in 24 hours from now.

We're supposed to get 18-24 inchs of snow tonight.

But on the topic of snow,Jeeps and of course Model Cars (or trucks)---->

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

LOL, you can always tell a Michigander by the way they point to their hand when you ask them where they live :lol: I live south of you in GR, got stuck twice coming into work this morning. getting home should be fun.