Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good luck to our northern neighbors

Robert, keep sayin it an in about 5 months it WILL happen!!!:lol:;) ;)

Don't remind me...3 months until summer here..summer is the season I truly hate in Phoenix...about 5 months of triple digit horror. If I hear 'It's a dry heat' one more time...grrrrrr....

Edited by Rob Hall

Well.. the end of the world has begun here. It's 4 pm and it's snowing like crazy, wind is blowing like crazy and I can barely see the house across the street. And it's supposed to get WORSE here after 9PM and snow 3-4 inches per hour until morning! :blink:

Let's see... 9PM to 5AM = 8 hours x 3-4 inches/hour = 24-32 inches by tomorrow morning if the forecast is right!

Yikes... :P

You guys do realize that most people who live in Chicago don't drive a huge pickup truck with a snowplow attached... don't you? :blink:

Uh, Harry, look at mine again, I DON'T have a plow, but I do win the big pickup category!! :P:lol:

Well.. the end of the world has begun here. It's 4 pm and it's snowing like crazy, wind is blowing like crazy and I can barely see the house across the street. And it's supposed to get WORSE here after 9PM and snow 3-4 inches per hour until morning! :blink:

Let's see... 9PM to 5AM = 8 hours x 3-4 inches/hour = 24-32 inches by tomorrow morning if the forecast is right!

Yikes... :P

I bet the local weather guys are getting wild! Snowpacalypse '11!!

Stay warm.. I remember vaguely as a kid the Blizzard of '78, was out in rural Eastern Ohio then.

Some of biggest snowfall I remember was back in March '04 or '05..had about 45 inches of snow over 2 1/2 days in Denver..didn't go outside for 3 days. Was 40 and sunny a couple days later.

The real kick in the pants to our midwestern members, is that here in Kodiak Alaska, it's 40 and sunny. I am originally from Oskaloosa Iowa, so I have a lot of friends and relatives that I'm concerned about down there. The warning always goes out to those who are getting older about taking breaks from shoveling, but the young can also be affected. Take care and keep a watch on your neighbors.

Well.. the end of the world has begun here. It's 4 pm and it's snowing like crazy, wind is blowing like crazy and I can barely see the house across the street. And it's supposed to get WORSE here after 9PM and snow 3-4 inches per hour until morning! :o

Yikes... :blink:

I've heard North Ave is about the only road that isn't a parking lot so far from the customers that have stopped in and Dad warned me not to get stuck on the way home tonight.....everything else we own would get stuck long before it gets to where ever I'd get stuck at :blink:ph34r.gif

Ok, I'm gonna chime in here while I still can... with the ice that's building here, it looks like we stand a pretty good chance of losing our power. Anderson's right on the forecast line of 1-2 inches of ice and the 6-15 inches of snow so that means it's just gonna get ugly, we're gonna see the best of both worlds!!! :blink::blink: If it does, that's ok. We have half a dozen oil lamps, 2 gallons of lamp oil, kerosene heaters and plenty of supplies because I remember the ice storm that hit us in '05 when most of this area was out of power for 3-5 days and with the sheer number of trees down, looked like a war zone.

Highway, talking about vehicles, look no farther than my avatar to see the most sure footed vehicle I've ever owned. Yes, it's stock ride height but I love taking it out on snowy days and opening sideroads that the plows haven't hit yet. :blink: The slightly overstock tires, tread pattern and the wagon body weight distribution are a good combination and make this a very stable vehicle on snow and ice.

2qldeg4.jpg

...AND, sticking with the 'big Ford' comment, it does have a Ford electrical system and Motorcraft carb, does that count? Maybe not with the Chrysler engine and transmission and the 1/2 ton Chevy front and rear axles... ohh, and there is the AC Delco alternator... Well, it is an AMC... :o

Edited by Wagoneer81

Always love laughing at the rednecks that drive their big 4x4's too fast in snow... and end up stuck in the median. Just because they have 4WD won't help them one bit when they hit ice. :o:blink:

And I'm laughing right with ya! This also goes for people with cars and SUV's equipped with traction control and AWD, just because you can run that fast doesn't mean you should... One still has to be able to STOP!

Remember folks, in nasty, icy, snowy conditions, slow and steady wins the race! :blink:

Sounds like quite a snowstorm. You folks in it's path, please take care. Staying home might be a better option than trying to go out on the roads. Let the snowplowing people do their thing. If you go out to shovel, take precautions and dress warm and don't hurt your back - right Gregg?

:o

...And did you all notice we all have big Fords?!?!? :blink::blink::D

WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN????!!! I have a Chevy, you know. :lol::lol::lol:

mytruck.jpg

Now I'll be honest, we don't drive it on snow alot because it's very squirrelly...... We're going to put a lift kit on it though, so we'll replace all the suspension when the time comes :blink:

I left Ohio after the Great Blizzard of '78. And I now brag that the only snow that I have dealt with since '78 is the snow that I photoshopped onto my avatar. Although it is supposed to plummet into the high 50's tomorrow.

:blink: :blink: :lol:

I was driving local delivery 24' straight DT466...we drove through that one...made a lotta side cash with my 100' logging chain....

I got tired of the 25 below for weeks at a time....It was 70 , Sunny and HOT here today......:o:blink:

:o

WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN????!!! I have a Chevy, you know. :blink::blink::lol:

mytruck.jpg

Now I'll be honest, we don't drive it on snow alot because it's very squirrelly...... We're going to put a lift kit on it though, so we'll replace all the suspension when the time comes :blink:

Andy, That's a good looking old chevy. Try putting 200-300 pounds of sandbags or salt pellet bags in the bed over the rear axles (and keep your foot out of it unless you really need the extra power :lol:) ... Worked like a charm on my 2wd trucks, should work wonders for yours. That's part of the whole weight distribution thing with the wagon body that I was talking about in the above thread. Trucks are really light in the rear because the only weight over the rear tires is the bed. They need extra weight back there to compensate for that.

Weather update: The wind has picked up, I'd say 15mph sustained with 25mph gusts and the sleet is coming down pretty heavy now. If the power goes, I'll see you all when it comes back on! :lol:

Agreed times 2, those Jeeps are(were) great vehicles !! This was one of the best "trucks" I've owned, the body was so rusty the clutch linkage won't stay in place :blink: If it had been an automatic trans I'm sure it would still be running and pushing snow-->

010-75.jpg

Poor 'ol Curly is dragging his belly already :o and it's just starting here--->

001-6.jpg

002-31.jpg

005.jpg

This is the way our drive way looks right now-I'll post a picture of the same shot in 24 hours from now.

We're supposed to get 18-24 inchs of snow tonight.

But on the topic of snow,Jeeps and of course Model Cars (or trucks)---->

002.jpg

003-1.jpg

Guest Markus355

here in Nova scotia were supposed to get an awful whallop.

Snowfall amounts tonight up to 15 cm. Heavier snow starting Wednesday giving additional amounts of 20 to 45 centimetres until Thursday morning.

Details

A series of low pressure systems will affect the Maritimes in the following few days. The first system developing along the mid-Atlantic coast will produce as much as 15 cm of snow for southern mainland Nova Scotia this evening before ending overnight. The second low pressure system developing over the continental us will move South of the Great Lakes Wednesday morning and track eastward reaching Cape Cod by Wednesday evening then continue onwards to lie south of Newfoundland on Thursday morning. Snow at times heavy will move into western sections of mainland Nova Scotia Wednesday morning and spread eastward throughout the day. Additional amounts of 20 to 45 cm are expected by Thursday morning. The snow may become mixed with or change to freezing rain Wednesday evening over the south shore of the province. Strong northeasterlies are expected ahead of the low giving local blowing snow.

hmm. 60 cm. thats 2 FEET. and i run the plows for work :(