Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Here I have added some bondo onto the clutch can:

DP-Army-Vega%206479-1_zpsorznvcwj.jpg

After sanding the bondo, I sprayed a quick coat of primer to get an idea on how it looked. and as I expected because I was rushing it I had the primer swell the bondo:

DP-Army-Vega%206483-1_zpsivre0mkn.jpg

Here I have sanded the clutch can a little and glued in the the mounts for the clutch pedal and linkage lever:

DP-Army-Vega%206485-1_zpsm1myoqmx.jpg

Here is the connecting rod from the Clutch pedal to the linkage lever. Made from RB-Motion Rod ends, all parts were super glued with the green zap a gap CA:

DP-Army-Vega%206490-1_zpskibh02kk.jpg

Here I have soldered the foot pad onto the clutch pedal assy:

DP-Army-Vega%206498-1_zpsbw7zsesv.jpg

Thankfully, I was totally medicated before I opened this update. Are you Freaking kidding me Chris?

I might just have to fly out to Phoenix for the next show it will be in, done or not. You continue to amaze, my man. I know precision solder work is an acquired skill and you're killin' it.

Carry on.

Edit: Just looked up the next show on April 11 at Hobbytown. I can make that :D

Edited by Nitrozilla

Joe.. thank you.... ummm Maybe I am off my rocker??? and I need the meds...LMAO. Well I am shooting to have this done for the desert scale classic as well I would love to take it to the GSL show as well but I will not compromise the build just to get it done by then. I don't want to ruah anything and screw something up but I promise I will be building my tail off on this to funish it for the Desert scale Classic. I definitely think its possible. That would be awesome if you culd make it to the show. It's definitely the best one we have here in the valley.

Danno.... did I make you speechless at the moment ;)

Mike... thank you. I can not wait until you get going on your Pisano Omni. Between your body, Chucks decals and the paint you laid down. That body is gorgeous. I am excited you are building a car for yourself.

Brad... I will have to remember to posr disclaimers on some cool updates. It feels great making progress on this. I have a few minor things now with the bell housing and peddals to do. I have to add a support on the upper mount and then add the mounting holes for lenco Mid section. Then I should be ready for final primer, then paint. Well I also have to make the clutch window cover for the bell housing as well. Then I can move in to prepping the lenco pieces for paint And start on tranny blanket. I can't wait to see the pieces in paint.

Bob... thank you very much. It has turned out better than I thought. although I spent more time than I thought but the extra time is worth it to me.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Tim... Thank you very much.

Danno... Thank you my friend B)

Scott... Thank you Brother. I thought that I would give it a try with soldering and I was glad I had success with it. It worked out way better than I thought. the key was using flux and minimal solder.

Hakan... Thank You.

Randy L.... Hey man I actually goofed up and I didn't get my tickets to fly up in time. A while back the prices were not bad at all and I got busy and when I checked last it was going to cost me around 800 for the whole trip and I couldn't justify spending that much for an over night trip. I will definitely be there for the show in 2016 and the good news is that this build will be completed for sure by then.

Randy. D... Thank you. I have to admit that I was having fun with the soldering. I have been able to improve my technique and am much happier with how stuff is turning out. I am actually thinking of soldering the chassis out of brass for my next build. Which by the way is going to be a very cool build.

Clayton... Thank you very much. I was really happy with how that linkage set up turned out. I think it ended up better than how I first thought it would go.

Bill... Thank you very much for the kind words.

ok Time to post tonight's progress.....

Ok fellas... so tonight I continued on with working on the transmission specifically the bell housing. I added a support gusset on the clutch pedal mount as well as I got the bolt holes trilled and threaded for mid Lenco section that bolts to the bellhousing. Then I decided to work on the clutch window cover.....

So I fabbed the support gusset on the top mount for the clutch pedal:

DP-Army-Vega%206521-1_zpsxogqj9d9.jpg

Side View, I tried to get a little angle in on it:

DP-Army-Vega%206519-1_zpsoswvm8wt.jpg

Here is all of the bolts in place on the Lenco section that is mounted to the Bellhousinig:

DP-Army-Vega%206526-1_zpsr22ddtrs.jpg

Here is the start of all of the pieces that I will be using to make the clutch window cover. I made these pieces by holding my styrene above a lighter to soften it. When it got soft I used the clutch bellhousing to form the curve in the piece:

DP-Army-Vega%206528-1_zpslx7qaro6.jpg

Here is the Start of combining all of the pieces:

DP-Army-Vega%206530-1_zps8hbtkrko.jpg

Hey, Joe!

Tell them all to come on over to Phoenix in April (the 11th, to be exact)! Chris plans to debut this masterpiece at DESERT SCALE CLASSIC and he should have her done by then. Even if not 100% complete {will he ever be completely satisfied?} she should be on the project table, I'm sure.

Besides, DSC11 is going to be an epic, groundbreaking event!

It would be good to make your acquaintance and see you here. Besides, it's only a quick 4-hour drive . . . B)

We now return to the regularly-scheduled program.