Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Bob... thank you. It will be another small milestone getting these parts into paint.

Mike... you are welcome. I wished I could of got more done but hopefully tonight.

Gabe... I will make sure and let you know when that happens, maybe at one of the moonlight meetings ;)

So my plan for tonight is to get the mid section of the lenco tranny finished up and in final primer so it can sit for a day or two and possibly paint it on sunday if its not raining here or I can wait and paint it tuesday. I have heard that we are supposed to get rain this weekend Bit we will see it is phoenix... lol

Brad... Isn't that the truth...lol I am curious as to when the rain will start. I was considering going out to wild horse pass raceway for the Top Alcohol dragsters and funny cars but I may be better off staying at home getting bench time in...lol

Scott... Thank you so much.

Joe... Thank you. That is very true that I need to start prepping those lines. Gotta get everything ready...lol

Tim... I would love to get it painted so it get me one more step closer but if I can't paint no biggie it will allow me to get other things prepped and ready as well. I am actually anxious to see it painted and next to the block to give that over all picture of what it all looks like together. Sorta getting more and more exciting for me. seeing all of the hard work paying off now.

Clayton... Thank you. Yeah once I get some color on it then I can start making the tranny blanket for it but not sure what I will jump to once I get this little portion done... maybe back to the body tin work. I have a slight modification and then I can do a final sand and have it ready for paint and I may jump back to some more body work on the body so I can get it primered. I can't wait til I get the body in primer. seeing it in plastic is getting old...LOL

Danno... Thank you. you know that might not be a problem but how am I gonna hold the parts to paint if I have both hands full...hmmm lol

Danno... Oh I gotcha.... Maybe my dog can help out and hold something...lol

Ok Fellas... so I got in some bench time tonight not as much as I was hoping and did a little more sanding to the Mid section of the Lenco Tranny. Also got some primer on it as well as started to look at how I was going to fabricate the tranny blanket for it.. Then I was seeing what I could use for the strap buckles and all. I will let the couple pics do the talking.....

Here is the tranny all in primer now. Then I drilled out the hole to accept the shifter plunger from the TDR Shapeways kit:

DP-Army-Vega%206714-1_zpsgrwo3kls.jpg

Here is a shot from the other side. I still need to add another small plate to the bell housing that I saw in pics of them. It will be a small plate with 6 bolts between the flange and inspection plate you see here:

DP-Army-Vega%206716-1_zps2spibeyq.jpg

Now as I was messing with plunger linkage from TDR Shapeways, the size of the linkage made me start to think about the linkages that I need for the K-Style Barrel valve and for the injector hat and even the fuel shut off valve. I am going to have to draw a few up in Solidworks and have some printed. I was trying to figure out how I was going to make them and after seeing the size that TDR did for these they shouldn't be a problem to make:

DP-Army-Vega%206717-1_zpskwzv3dex.jpg

Well I decided to set the engine in the chassis to check for clearance on the shifter plunger linkage and found I may of ran into a little snag with the steering gearbox piece:

DP-Army-Vega%206722-1_zps0uylrl99.jpg

So what I will most likely do is just mount the linkage like this instead. I had to fix it on the fly and this was the easiest solution:

DP-Army-Vega%206728-1_zpsxltkg08t.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%206731-1_zps0ztksmcy.jpg

Here is a closer up shot from the opposite side showing that I now have clearance between the parts:

DP-Army-Vega%206736-1_zpsqblwhrd2.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Dave... Thank you and thanks for taking the time to catch up. Probably a lot of new things since you last saw it. I am glad it has inspired you to dust your builds off. Looking forward to some of your updates on it.

Mike... Thank you. But you know me I have to try to make things better...lol

Darryl... Thank you my friend. Now if I could just do a cool Diorama in 16th scale like you have done with many of your builds. It would be sweet. One of these days. I have an idea of doing some sort of garage or speed shop but before that happens I have this build and others I would like to finish....lol

Ray... Thank you.

Ok since I posted pics last night, I wasn't happy with the fact that I turned the bracket around for the shifter plunger and since that's not the way it should have been I decided to work on making my own plunger so I could get things fitted correctly. You wouldn't believe me but I spent around 2 to 2-1/2 hours on this stupid little detail. first trying to figure out what I would use and then a few trial and error's...lol. ok so I was taking a quick break from the build so I can grab some food then I will get back to it. Anyway here are a few teaser pics for ya....

What I have here is a new and improved spring plunger. which is made up of a 1/16" dia brass rod, a hex nut that I had to drill out and sand the thickness down, one of scale hardwares .5mm bolts and the TDR shapeways lever:

DP-Army-Vega%206746-1_zps7mrcxlkj.jpg

Top view, which I had to cut a slot in the middle of the tube and did it by means of a razor saw.... took me a couple of tries and pieces to get it they way I liked it.... first one or two was off ceter...lol and then I had to drill a hole in the tube for the bolt:

DP-Army-Vega%206747-1_zpss9qpon2q.jpg

Another side view:

DP-Army-Vega%206751-1_zps9ja5837u.jpg

Here is a view to show that I now have clearance between the lever and the steering gearbox support mount. Although I still need to solder the nut to the tube and when I do I will raise the tub just a tad up from what you see here:

DP-Army-Vega%206752-1_zpsxgccknof.jpg

Ok so I have another quick teaser. I have been working on the tranny blanket sorta doing things as templates before I make the final one or if the pieces I am happy I may just use it. What you see here is two different medical tapes one was Johnson and Johnson and the other 3M. Now I colored the straps red for purposes of people being able to see them better for this mock up. I actually need to make them a little skinner so they will fit into the photoetch buckles that I am planning on adding to them for added detail. Now I need to be able to mix some paint colors up to match the only picture I have of the color of the tranny blanket:

DP-Army-Vega%206756-1_zpsnfawm1ri.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%206759-1_zpsdjylaknk.jpg[/url

Here are the Colors I need to match:

Army-28copy_zpsd9c2941c.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Tim... Thank you my friend. I am really getting excited about this Transmission. I have a few more minor things to do to it. I need get the reverse handle mounted. I need to re-drill the mounting holes because they weren't centered from TDR. Then I need to make a 2nd smaller cover plate for the bell housing that is mounted between the inspection plate and flange. the tranny blanket need a tad more work, trying to figure the best way for the latch and just need to match the colors of the blanket. Then I can can paint and believe it can be assembled and called done... I think...lol I am hoping to get some good progress today.