Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Clayton... I have to agree with you on that. That is the one I was sorta leaning towards. I can add a little more weathering to it because I did go a little lighter with the weathering on that one. I was afraid to go to much. Plus I wish that I had more pics of the blanket. This is the only one which don't get me wrong, I am thankful I even have this to go by, definitely better than nothing...lol

Chris: I agree with choice #2. The challenge is to get the fabric composition of the model to match the real car. I realize you couldn't get a really good close up of the blanket fabric, so I think you did well. Once you settle on the color combination, perhaps you can prepare a couple of scraps of the fabric and dirty them up a bit to get clutch dust effect. How do you intend to add the brownish/tan color from the original blanket's cutaway?

Haven't posted in a while, but this is beyond fantastic. As a strictly can painter, is there anyway someone like me can emulate the HOK black base/clear/Alclad effect?

P.S. I've PM'd you a couple times on my progress with the 1/25 scale Soff Seal kits you sent me. Not sure if you've checked, but they're not up on Fotki yet. If you can email me at templetantrum@msn.com, I'll send you some. Otherwise, they'll get on Fotki eventually!

Mitch

Brad... Hey it was great to see you today. Thank you for some of that printed fabric you brought for me. I will show some pics in a few with it.

John.. Thanks Buddy. the fabric is some neat stuff for sure.

Jim... Thank you. Its been sorta tuff to match this exactly.

Mitch... Hey its great to hear from you. I apologize that I haven't gotten back to you on the PM's sometimes I don't see them. I will have to email so I can see some pics of your build

You know it would have been cheaper and less time consuming to just build the real car... Right ? LOL

It's really looking good. Something to really be proud of.

Question: What is the material you are using for the blanket ?

I skimmed through the posts but couldn't see mention of it.

Steve... I apologize that it took me a few days to answer this question and get pics up, but here are the two medical tapes I typically use:

Here they are in their package, Johnson & Johnson and 3M:

DP-Army-Vega%206865-1_zpsni7sr7kg.jpg

Here are side by side comparisons:

DP-Army-Vega%206866-1_zps3oaugl32.jpg

Johnson & Johnson on the left, 3M on the right:

DP-Army-Vega%206870-1_zpspe8c3bk6.jpg

Ok Fellas.... Little bit of an early afternoon update. I was able to meet up with my buddy Brad (aka Gasser59) at a local swap meet today and he had given me some fabric paper printed with some color that he took from the one picture I have but Prior to showing those I have a mock up of the blanket with the colors I painted to see how it all looked together. Here are the pics...

Here is the Transmission blanket mocked up:

DP-Army-Vega%206846-1_zpsmfusanrc.jpg

Close up of the Tranny Blanket:

DP-Army-Vega%206850-1_zpslzbxzq2y.jpg

Alright here is the printable fabric material that Brad brought to me today. He took a color sample from the picture I have of the blanket and printed me up some small sheets of the material. I decided to try and use some of Tamiya's Weathering pigment to dirty it up to see how it would look:

DP-Army-Vega%206851-1_zpsgikqrwqd.jpg

Then I decided to take and paint some of the white material on the edges to see how this material would look painted with the colors I mixed up for the medical tape and did a slight weather on it:

DP-Army-Vega%206854-1_zpsygjvj7t3.jpg

Here are the straps next to one another to see if there were any differences:

DP-Army-Vega%206859-1_zpsozwpvuys.jpg

This is another shot of my painted pieces (the ones on the right) versus the printed fabric's with weathering on the left:

DP-Army-Vega%206861-1_zpschwxq4ni.jpg

Next up I am starting to assemble the Transmission. I am going to glue all of the lenco pieces together and was going to do a quick polish on the brass bolts and then get them installed. Then I will work on getting the inspection plates glued to the bell housing as well as getting the Lenco transmission bolted up to the bell housing. From there I will start to get the clutch pedal ready to be installed. I need to trim up some of the hardware and do a quick little polish or clean up of the pedal assembly. I will show some pics later what I accomplish. Thanks for looking

A great update. It really looks like dirty hands have handled it, and you've made the right choice to go with what you want as far as colors. Everybody's monitor will look a little different and everybody's eyes see colors a little different. Believe me, I see it all the time at work. I work in color mgt for a large printing company. Looking forward to what you do next.

Outstanding Chris. That's got that covered. Oh, wait, I mean you can wrap that up. You know what I mean.

LOL, I use the same tapes. They work for any scale for blower straps, seat belts, parachute packs, etc.

I wonder if we both hear the same clock ticking?

Clayton.. Thank you. Its close enough to call good at this point...lol

Dave... Thank you, I had to add some weathering to the blanket to make it look a little more realistic.

Joe... Thank you so much. Yep the transmission is just about done. Those medical tapes work great. I think I like the Johnson and Johnson better though. And Trust me I have been hearing the clock tick for quite some time.... I need to hurry and finish this build so you guys can see the couple I will be starting after this. Yes I am going to work on multiple builds after this one.

Mitch... Thank you.

Dave... Thank you very much

John... What can I say I wanna be like you, I would have to say there are many other builds that are better than this.

Ok.... So I got some more bench time in today and I can say that I am 98% done with the Transmission. I still need to do a couple more things. I need to pull the bolts out of the inspection plates and glue them in as well as glue the shifter plunger in. After that I can call it good. But It will still get a little more attention afterwards. I will also need to add a Simpson decal on the Tranny Blanket and I will be adding a couple of the decals to the bell housing. alright I have kept you waiting long enough, I will show you the pics of this things now.

Ok so after gluing the lenco pieces together and bolting it to the bell housing, I started by putting some medical tape together and painting a color close to what I saw on the real one to add around the shifter plunger area:

DP-Army-Vega%206880-1_zpsjxwf46cu.jpg

Next I had added the main blanket and the straps to the Tranny, You can see that tanish/brownish color through the hole:

DP-Army-Vega%206882-1_zpsu1kxsz0h.jpg

I added a tad bit more weathering to the blanket:

DP-Army-Vega%206886-1_zpsssjgzer3.jpg

Here is an end shot so you can see all of the bolts. I took the brass bolts and polished them with some Mothers metal polish:

DP-Army-Vega%206888-1_zpspf7icfv4.jpg

Brad... I couldn't get the color right on the printable fabric and on my test I did I had spots where I either put too much paint on and lost some of the fabric detail. but I couldn't get it to look like the colors I had here for some reason. As far as whats next, I was thinking about jumping back on the Body and body tin. I want to get it in primer before DSC but I am sure I will continue with some engine details in the mean time as well but for a change up going to tinker with the body this week. I will also get some sizes for you on the decals for the tranny stuff this week.

That transmission looks so good that I'm still debating if it's 1/16 or 1/1 scale. Fantastic work with those details - that blanket is something that's seen quite rarely in these builds. It's nice to see one done this well, and those bolts along with that clutch pedal finish the tranny off. Excellent work overall...Keep it coming!

Danno... thank you my friend.

Niko... thank you for the words of encouragement. you are right you dont see the tranny blanks on many of the older cars not sure when they actually started using them.

Bob... thank you. I am happy with how it finally turned out. Its not perfect but good enough for me at this point. Now I can jump back onto the body tin work and body work.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Paul... thank you I will add that detail. Thank you for letting me know i missed that.

Tim... thank you so much for the kind words. Seeing your work makes me want to build better and get that end mill and lathe. I love what you are doing on your Henry J.

Jeremy... thank you for the kind words.

Edited by Mooneyzs