Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

Greg I love looking at your updates.... chassis is bulletproof...

Greg.... You are doing some killer work Mate!! I am loving the paint on the rear end. It looks fantastic..... This build just gets better and better... Nice job on the digital racepac too. gonna be another awesome part when done.

4X Derrick B)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thank you all for such very positive feedback. :)

Nicolas, yes, the decals I have made myself. I have decal film from Bare Metal Foil Company in both clear and white.

Most of my pics I use are only downloaded from the internet. Seeing they are only for my personal use, I really hope no one will mind. :unsure:

I set them up in a "Word" document, that way you can move them around to suit, and also it makes it easy to re-size them. :)

Guys, sorry there is no update yet..... :( I've hit the wall in a few areas and have really gone off the rails a bit. :wacko:

The rear bar work is too high, hitting the body when I placed it on. :angry: So that's all going to get torn down. :( So much for trying to plan ahead.....

Still had NO luck at all regarding wheels and tyres.....They are going to be instrumental in the next stages of chassis development, so without them

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. :mellow:

Dave was too kind sending his own work on the masters down to me, but without a whole lot of casting/molding experience, I'm at a loss as to the

next step....I contacted a mate down here who does resin work, but for a "one off" job like I want, he couldn't help.

Anyways, should things improve soon, I will gladly get this back near the top for you all. :)

In the mean time, I thought I might delve into something a bit more do-able......something 1/16........More on that later. ;)

Hey Greg, buddy I know what you mean when you do all that detailed tub work and find out it isn't going to work. My latest venture was with the Main tube back after finally getting my 4link set up mounted. I found out that I was to wide to mount up my Anti-sway bar set up and not hit my frame when it moves... I guess this is the set back when you make things functional. If I would have just glued it in place, I wouldn't have had to worry about it. :) I just had to set my project to the side for some time, and I think after having done that, I have completed more work on it in the last couple of days than I did over the last 45 days or so total.

Can't wait to see what you have planned on your 70 Camaro.... I will be taking your idea's and applying them to my next build be it the TDR Camaro or my Corvette.

Bummer on the frame Greg, i know i tore lots of my car apart a couple times also and it still isn't 100% where i would like it to be. But my car is a learning experience and i will make my next one better, I know i had to take a break for a while as to not get burned out on it. Did you consider TDR to do the wheels and tires possibly?, Can't wait to see what you do with the 1/16th.

Bart and Joe, thanks for your very kind words of encouragement guys,

Yeah, it's probably not going to be a big deal pulling things apart.....having done so twice already. :lol: Just can't face it at the moment.

I'll distract myself for a while and come back at it later, with fresh thoughts and a clear head. :)

Bart.....nah nah nah......you can't be waiting to see what I do on the 70 Camaro..........(shaking head) -_- (j/k)

I'm following your lead man.....cause I reckon you're on the right track with your build. ;) Got all your pics saved so far. :)

Joe, yes...I had thought about contacting Tim, but I already have nearly $300 worth of parts in my "cart" there....just waiting for me to hit the "buy" button. :P

I will attempt the tyres myself at some stage, maybe I can even jag a good set of rims from a rubber mold.....Time will tell. ;)

Updates at ...............hours, minutes.....2012. :D

cheers guys

Greg

Haha, hey Zac, many thanks mate. :)

Aye, you may notice this build slow down for a bit man....just having a few teething problems. Nothing we won't climb over eventually. ;)

Thanks again for you very positive feedback man. B)

• 1 year later...

Well.......15 months on, really? How would you guys feel about an update?

Man, where to start......................... :unsure:

The passed 12 months or so has given me plenty of time for soul searching and head scratching regarding this massive build.

Surprisingly, the biggest change, will be to a NEW body!

This was by far, my hardest decision to make in recent times, given how many hours work I already have committed to my own Camaro body, I just knew it was not going to hold up in the long run. :(

It's not broken, but I fear that will happen eventually, and I don't wish to be left stranded, without a body some time down the road.

When we all got wind of Dave's (comp1839) brilliant idea of getting a proper Camaro ProMod body commissioned, I knew then, that this is what I wanted.

I was already well into mine, and the cost of a 1/12 Camaro body was outside my reach at the time.....Times change, lets move on!

Yesterday I received confirmation that my new 1/12 69 Camaro ProMod is on the way, due by the 22nd July. :) You think I'm excited?? Just a tad, hey. :lol:

Plans are for a full re-do on the chassis, thinking of going the brass route, as it will make it that much stronger and stable.

Wheels and tyres are in the planning stages too, so with some big chunks of luck (already had bucket loads of good will) this project is set to snowball outta control.

A good mate (in our model club) is on the verge of buying a 3D printer, so that's bound to get used to the hilt along the way.....

Please bare with me as I get back into stride, but rest assured, the Camaro is BACK!

Cheers guys, your ol' Aussie bud downunder.....

Greg

Greg.... How you doing Mate? its great to see you back here. I sure have missed seeing your updates and talent put to work. I am super excited for you with getting this new body in 1/12 scale. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I am sure it was a hard decision to pretty much start this build all over but I can tell you from my experience with my 1/16th scale funny car build. you will be happy with your decision. i wish I would of just scratch build my chassis by the time I was done modifying the kit one. Looking forward to new updates. Cheers!

Fantastic build, will deff stay tuned for the new plans. I love that digital dash decal. Thats going to be a great touch on the interior.

You wouldnt happen to have the box stock engine would you? I notice your scratchbuilding everything and my kit seems to be missing that.

Hey guys, Joe, Chris, James and Scott, your support and encouraging words are greatly appreciated mates. :)

James, I'll check my stash, I'm pretty sure I DO have one......but I want to be positive before saying "yes". :D

Well, my excitement is building. Even though I glanced at my confirmation email and saw "July 22nd, end of day"......I neglected to click on the tracking number link. :rolleyes:

It is now, actually on my Australian shore! :blink: Been cleared by the Import Authority and is "en route" for delivery.......... :o :blink: :wub: Gotta LOVE FAST shipping. :D

Which means, I really need to dig in and sort what needs sorting, and get ready to parte. (said with a French accent, one of those little doovers over the "e") :lol:

Stay tuned guys

cheers

Greg

Fantastic looking u-joint.

:) Thanks Ray. I can not claim all the credit though. It's a TDR piece, I added some brass tube to each corner to tighten up the free-play a little.

It's a lot tighter now, and still has movement. ;)

Well.............Christmas arrived early for me....too early for my birthday as well, but I'll accept it. :lol:

They say a photo is worth a thousand words..........

DSCF8912-vi.jpg

:wub:

Looks like Shapeways have changed the printing process....this body is 100% better than the 1:16 body I have.

I know scale plays a part in that, but the smaller body has a very visible "circle" pattern from the layer process, but this one appears to be layered front to back.

There is still a textured feel to it, but it WILL be a whole lot easier to sand and get smooth. :)

DSCF8915-vi.jpg

DSCF8916-vi.jpg

And, side by side.....the "old" war horse. :(

DSCF8914-vi.jpg

As I mentioned, the decision to go this route was tough, but having this new body in my sweaty hands, I know it was the right way to go. :)

I will persevere with the old body in the future, and may just display it as a "spare".......??

Stay tuned guys, I'm waiting to hear back from a guy regarding some other new parts.....will have more for you soon.

Cheers

Greg

Greg.... So excited to see you back on this and the new body. I am gonna take some good notes for when I get to my pro mod one day. That new body looks great. I would love one in 1/16 or 1/12 scale. I actually picked one in 1/43 scale a while back

Thanks guys. :)

Ray, yep....actually started on some minor prep work today. It does sand rather easily and I'm thinking a couple of coats of primer (sanded between coats) will work quite well. :D

Paul, thanks so much mate, your kind words are very much appreciated. :)

Chris, thanks Brother. :D Hey, if you can find something on mine to help, great....as you know, I'm eying off your work for ideas. ;)PM coming your way....

Dave, my big Brother. Hehehe, you know, I keep looking at that comparison myself. I was close in some areas......miles away in others. :lol:

Overall length is within mm's, width is almost identical, but the roof area is where they differ the most. The original kit roof is still way too flat, something I would never have picked.

It's most noticeable at the top of the windscreen, then of course, you can also see the hood needed a lot more curvature.

I guess it's the case in their 1:1 counterparts too, as some of the 69 cars I've seen look way off compared to the style Mike has. :huh:

I will still persevere with mine, and having a good reference sitting right here beside it will aid the transformation I hope. :lol: Stay tuned mate.

post-3007-0-08000500-1374315688_thumb.jp

post-3007-0-15199100-1374315837_thumb.jp