Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

And, after only a short wait (approx 3 weeks from the Netherlands) my second order from Tim @ TDR/Shapeways arrived. :) B)

I received a set of 1/12 universal joints and two very kool looking Lenco trans sets. :wub:

These will detail up very nicely, and already I can see them being fitted without any safety blanket. ;)

Slightly smaller than the one I had made, which reinforced my thoughts that mine was indeed, a tad too large.

DSCF7909-vi.jpg

Quick size comparo......

DSCF7911-vi.jpg

Well guys, that's it for now......back to the bench.

Just awaiting another shipment from Rob @ RBMotion, then I can start tying all the fuel related pieces together, then get the motor done. :)

More soon, and thanks for stopping by.

Greg

Hey Greg nice updates! I received my 1/16 scale Lenco tranny parts and I have to say that thing has a lot of detail. Only thing is the parts are so flippin small, I need a microscope. :D

So did you drill a hold through everything to keep your center point aligned for the rod coming out the back of the Reverse section?

DSCF7895-vi.jpg

Even this idea took 3 goes to yield something I thought was going to be satisfactory.......

DSCF7899-vi.jpg

End result....................

DSCF7903-vi.jpg

DSCF7906-vi.jpg

DSCF7908-vi.jpg

Continues......

NOW this Starter Bracket looks mighty darn cool... It is a shame it is painted black, because it all blends into the blower face plate.

Very impressive in deed Greg! Very Impressive!

greg, the starter dog is just killer man. you nailed 100%. as with the belt guard and the starter mount. awesomely cool!!!!!!!!! trust me, i'm working (as is everyone else involved) feverishly to get this camaro body nailed down. i do not want it to be a disappointment to anyone!!!!!

paul, you are a 100% correct. the transmission is modeled after a cs-3. i only have a cs-3 5 spd. in my possession to model from. i will humbly disagree with you on the cs-1 being more correct for the application though. actually a cs-2 is the lenco of choice right now in pro mod. at least from what i have seen and heard. the cs-1 is heavier and takes more h.p. to drive. at the last ADRL race i took photos at. i couldn't even find a cs-1 in any car. be it blown , nitrous or a 10.5 car. since the cs-3 looks closer to a cs-2 than a cs-1. i believe gregs choice to move to this trans, is actually more viable. of course if anyone/ someone were to supply me detailed drawings of a cs-1 and a cs-2. i would be happy to see if we couldn't make copies of those happen for the absolute die hard who needs to be on the money for any particular build. LOL!!

here is a shot of J.R Todd's blown '57 PX car.

031.jpg

here is Ted Smith's PN car.

075.jpg

again, i am not saying no one runs a cs-1 in pro mod. what i am saying is, if you look at the top 16 qualifiers at any adrl or even an nhra event today. i believe you'd be hard pressed to find a cs-1 amongst those cars.

for giggles. here's the trans in the camaro i'm going to duplicate. it's a bruno torque converter drive and a 2 spd. lenco.

025.jpg

pleasel, do not take this the wrong way!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks so much for the very positive feedback guys..

Cheers Randy....it took some head scratching too, believe me..... ;) Pleased it turned out so well.

Bart, yeah...I can only imagine how you feel.....1/12 was small enough for me. Tho, I'm thinking I my need 2 for my 1/16 projects. ;)

These 1/12 units had a centre hole marked, not fully punched through tho. I think it is 3.2mm tube I'm using as a centre shaft.

It's a nice "snug" fit. The sections are only pushed on and lined up for tiny bolts, no glue as yet.

----

And yes.....I think the ALL black is kinda over done.

I'm hoping that once some extra colour gets added around this area, being fuel lines etc.. it may help to break it up a bit Bart.

Paul and Dave, thank you both for the absolute best help anyone could ever ask for. (hi-jack not recognised....ALL great, valuable information greatly appreciated. ;) )

With you 2 guys looking over (looking after) us guys here, I know we're in the best of hands.

And to be truthful, I was not 100% sure which box I was trying to replicate.... :unsure: but I am sure, this one looks better than mine. :lol:

And Dave, having such praise from a master of your talent, I am totally humbled and indebted to you, for ALL your help and guidance. B)

(now, get back to work on that body...... :D )

Thank you too Niko. :) You say no mistakes...? Ahh, that's because I don't show them. They DO happen though. :D

Ok, well, kind of an update.....backdate, or something to that effect.......

The chassis, well that got updated by going backwards.....back to a basic frame.

The firewall area got moved back by 12mm, and it all lines up much better with the base of the windscreen now......thank goodness. :blink:

The actual position of the motor has only been set back maybe 2mm, due to the fact the firewall has slightly more angle built into it now.

The rear motor mount/firewall has also had the centre line (for the motor) lowered about 4mm, to seat the motor lower.

NEW top bars added, right thru to the driver area. And I managed to save and line up my pedal mounts from the old chassis. :)

Just need to add some extra bracing along the length of things, and I'll be back to where I was......um, before. :D

DSCF7936-vi.jpg

DSCF7939-vi.jpg

Started adding those extra details to the Lenco.

All the small bolts connecting the sections are simulated items from Scale Hardware.

The bolts securing the end cap (on reverser) are threaded items, from the same supplier.

NEW tranny mount/sliders also started. Had to re-make several items along the way....

DSCF7919-vi.jpg

DSCF7921-vi.jpg

Continues......

Ok, now it gets interesting..........

Now, I am most likely, the only one to have this happen.....it's always like that.

If anything can go wrong, it will happen to me, got that. :lol:

You may have noticed, the finish on the Lenco is NOT real smooth.? That's ok, I ordered it in the regular detail.

It replicates a "cast" look relatively well. That's the kind of look I was aiming for, tho, slightly smoother would have been equally acceptable.

The "Ultra" which is also offered by Shapeways would be a lot smoother and probably a little more detailed, but it is also more expensive.

Never the less, I'm happy with what I have.

What did perplex me at first when I opened my parts, the detail was lost....... :huh:

Really hard to notice at first, mainly because the parts are so translucent, the detail kinda hides anyways.....

I applied a coat of primer not long after I got them. They were washed of course, but not harshly, as I was not sure how much rough treatment they could handle.

Well, after priming, I was at a loss.....they looked like grey blobs. (ok, not really that bad......but not brilliant either.)

I let them dry for 24 hours, only to find them the next day, still tacky. Yuk !.....

I emailed Tim and the guy at Shapeways with whom I had been in contact with.

With their help (and huge thanks to Tim here too) I was able to quickly find a solution to my problem.

What I had, was some parts which had obviously "slipped" passed their (Shapeways) quality control section, prior to being factory cleaned.

The process uses a wax like material to help support the production of the printed parts.

From my last email from them, this is usually carried out before leaving to be shipped to customers.

All good. Once the parts were soaked (yes, soaked) in baby oil, they were given a vigorous scrub with a tooth brush in a mild soapy bath.

Another primer coat went on and to my surprise, they come out great.

Yes, maybe the Ultra detail could have been greater, but as I say, I'm happy.

Oh, the only bits I didn't use, was the air pods.

They were a bit fiddly to try and clean, so I made new ones.

End of transmission. :lol:

Ok, last nights work.

Had to re-make the reverse lock-out, so I completely re made the whole thing......

DSCF7929-vi.jpg

Made the new linkage too, couple of rod ends from Rob @ RBMotion did the trick there.

DSCF7933-vi.jpg

DSCF7932-vi.jpg

DSCF7934-vi.jpg

All of this needs a tidy up with the paint, and I'll probably just run a black wash over it all to hi-light the bolts etc....

More soon, and thanks again for hangin' around guys.

cheers

Greg

Greg, it's ALWAYS a pleasure to see you work! I LOVE the depth of detail you go to. Might as well be building the real thing! I'm still wanting to see that lil Dat get rollin , but this here Camaro, well, let's just say I gotta soft spot for 69's! PULEEEEEZE don't stop now!!!! :D:);)

Hey Greg, I just want you to know you are doing some incredible work here... Fabricating parts is my favorite part of builds like this. If I could make a suggestion? All of these brackets you are making out of sheet plastic could be just as easily (if not easier) be made out of sheet aluminum... Try a couple. Rebuild that starter bracket on your blower out of aluminum sheet and see what you think. Polish it up a bit and it will really pop on the front of that motor...

Mark

MAS

• 2 weeks later...

:)Thanks so much George, Leonard, Mark, Joe, Dave and Tyrone. ;)

Hey Mark, I like the sound of aluminium brackets...but I'm afraid I still find working plastic easier.. :(:unsure:

One of my first attempts at the belt guard was using aluminium but that soon got pushed aside....may still try something else later. ;)

Phew..(sweltering...), our Summer has hit us a tad early, and as such, bench time is now calculated in minutes....not hours. :angry:

But, all the minutes do add up to progress......only on the tranny though.

Finished making the air pods and fabbed up a bracket (mounted to tranny) to hold the push-button valves for the air shift.

Gave it all a generous coat of primer and sprayed various shades of black and gun-metal.

Added some air lines, and there is a tiny "T" hiding in there too, to split the air to both buttons.

Various lines of hardware from several of our after-market friends.

Before, as delivered..

DSCF7909-vi.jpg

Bracket and shift button items.

DSCF7940-vi.jpg

As it sits now..

DSCF7953-vi.jpg

And the elusive "T" fitting....

DSCF7947-vi.jpg

Just need to make (punch from sheet plastic) 2 mushroom knobs for the push buttons, then finish off my air source.

I'll try and get the tranny mounts sorted next, so it can be trial fitted to the chassis.

More as it happens guys, which may be slow for a while....Thanks for stopping by.

Greg

Hey guys,

Joe B, Joe K, Dave, Tyrone, Matt, Derrick, Dalton and Mike.

Thank you all for your very kind words and encouragement. :)

I'm having somewhat of a lazy day today, home with a stomach bug... :( and I don't even feel like bench time, which is worse than being crook. :angry:

Dave, no oil.....wasn't sure where to add it. :lol: Thanks mate.

Matt, don't hesitate man.....it's a jump (or step) you won't regret. ;)

Derrick, begged, borrowed or stolen, that's where most my ideas come from. :D

Mike, yes, the trans is from TDR. :wub: Very kool indeed....

The body hasn't progressed much farther than it was Mike. Trying to get some chassis work completed, so I can check fit issues before it gets too far.. :lol:

All in all though, it looks good just resting on the work bench. :)

I'll attempt to get some more action leading up to and including the weekend....

I have "finished" both BAE rocker covers.....though, they will be getting refined before I'm 100% happy with them.

Couldn't believe I almost forgot to make one....... :unsure: Was difficult making a matching pair, but they're pretty close.

More soon guys, so stay put.........

cheers

Greg