Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 69 Camaro ProMod

stump

Thanks so much Derrick and Jerome. :)

Well, it's mid-week already.....missed a weekend update by that much........................ :lol:

Work has still concentrated on the motor, with small details added to the chassis. (no pics of that, just some bracing and the front engine plate mounts)

Got creative and made some rocker cover gaskets. Used an old paper (thin cardboard) business card.

Traced around the rocker covers, marked the bolt holes and "punched" them out with a hope-made punch.

I used the stainless (?) needle tube from an old Revell glue dispenser, filed the edge down so it was pretty sharp..

Here's the result

DSCF7954-vi.jpg

DSCF7955-vi.jpg

The covers themselves are getting closer to where I want them......

DSCF7959-vi.jpg

Detailed (?) the edge of the gaskets with a blue Sharpie, they are a bit hard to spot, but this pic shows them pretty good....

DSCF7964-vi.jpg

Continues......

Also made up a new ProMag system....the old one just didn't to look the part....

A collar was made to suit, and a small support bar was added to it.

Made 2 breather tubes for the crank venting system, they will lead to a forward mounted "puke" tank.

Here's a few pics of the work.

Bracket and Mag...

DSCF7968-vi.jpg

Same, but with the puke line outlets bolted in place......

DSCF7969-vi.jpg

Hoses "loosely" fitted.......

(Note; the hose is from an old printer... ;) )

DSCF7971-vi.jpg

An over-view from the front.....

DSCF7970-vi.jpg

Oh, I've also had a go at printing my own decals...... :unsure:

I used Bare Metal clear decal sheet, but really wish I had gotten the white..... :( Still, they DO look amazing........

Thanks to Wayne for his tips and pointers in guiding me towards success. :D ;)

More soon guys, and thanks for stopping by.

Greg

Yeeesh. I've only see one,no TWO other guys go to that length of detail in that scale,Stump. TWO of them, i call my freinds! You and Santiago Hernandez are the only guys i've known who can do this kind of work. Met a guy at the Toledo NNL's who does this kinda work too, he's a real nice guy who shared alot of the building tribulations that come with building your OWN parts!(just can't remember his name!) Personally, I think you guys are gluttons for punishment! But I LOVE seeing your work, it's like watchin a REAL one come together! :D:)

Greg... Man you are on fire with this build. From the detail of the transmission to what you are doing with the engine. I am very impressed. I just love this build :wub: . That Engine is over the top with the detail and the amazing amount of scratch building you are doing. I really like your idea for the head gaskets. I was planning on doing the same thing on my funny car, make some templates out of plastic andt then make them out of some K&S Phosphours Bronxe .006" thick material. Looks pratically like Copper.

I am trully amazed at the detail of your engine. You have hit it out of the park with this one. Those valve covers are gorgeous and that pro mag you scratch build is impressive. I also like the "Puke Tank" lines and outlits. Keep up on the awesome job you are doing on this one Mate! Cheers. I can't wait to see what you have instore for us next. :D

Hey, thank you so much George, Chris, Joe, Romell and Bart.. :)

Hehe..George, I know I'm a glutton for punishment....and I wonder why at times.... :lol:

Chris, yeah....it just looked a bit "bare" with the covers placed straight on the heads..I like how the gaskets turned out.

Well, actually threw a bit of primer and colour around this weekend. :) Looks better than just bare plastic.

Rocker covers got a coat of gun-metal grey, followed by a good gloss coat of Champaign Gold. It's close to the factory look of these things I think...

Also got busy drilling some holes for the fuel injection lines.

RB-Motion again got the nod for the hardware. (as well as some unknown brand for the tiny elbows....)Also set up a return line off the distribution block.

DSCF7975-vi.jpg

Front view, puke connections painted and bolted in place.

DSCF7976-vi.jpg

ProMag got shot with metallic silver, followed by some clear red.

DSCF7978-vi.jpg

Also added some extra bars to the inner chassis and cage area.

And finally got around to mounting the tranny slide mounts....man, that was not fun, but it's done now.

DSCF7979-vi.jpg

DSCF7981-vi.jpg

Continues.......

Whilst working my way towards the top (and completion) of the motor, I thought I'd better decide on how I wanted to "connect" it all up...... :wacko:

I finalised a shaft for the butterflies, deciding in the end to file the back half off some 1/16 aluminium tube.

It had started out as filing 3 separate slots to slide the butterflies into, but the tubing gave way on the second slot, so I went with the cheaper alternative. :D

Once I had that decided and done, I turned to the linkage.

Shaped and chiselled from scrap stock, a lever for the top (scoop) and lower (fuel valve) were made.

RB-Motion rod ends and nut, along with some scrap stainless tube make the link.

DSCF7987-vi.jpg

DSCF7986-vi.jpg

DSCF7988-vi.jpg

DSCF7990-vi.jpg

Well, as the year draws to a close, and having 3 weeks annual leave up from this Friday, I sure hope to get heaps of progress in for you'll during the next few weeks.. B)

Wishing all my good mates here a truly wonderful and safe holiday season, enjoy your families, and build on.....

Merry Christmas guys. ;)

Greg

Hey guys, thank you all very much for the wonderful comments..it really gives a guy a good kick in the pants, which is often needed. :):lol:

greg, by the way. i'll be expecting to see a 1/8 scale '69 camaro next. your choice blown or nitrous assisted but, dude you gotta try 1/8. you'll never go back!!!!!!!!!

Dave, that would be the ultimate trifecta for me...1/16, 1/12 and.............................1/8. :)

Will have to see how things go....cheers mate.