Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 Ford Police Interceptor

Zoom Zoom

That only cost 10 bucks???!!! :D

Amazing. What a bargain! And with some aftermarket (or DIY) decals you could create your own hometown cruisers. Too cool! :D

Yeah, it's quite a bargain...even at the $14 price online.

Thing is...at this point I could make/buy decals for it, but it's all conjecture...the real Interceptors are not yet available, as far as I know. We certainly will never see a plastic kit manufacturer that on-the-ball :D

I am soooooo gettin a couple of these!!! I been quite impressed with the cars offered in this line. the Crown Vics not only look like Crown Vics they size up well with the Lindberg CV. I forgive em for the wheels and bumpers lol. and for 10 bux I think they are just fine

It is missing the drivers side spot light.

MotormaxSHOInterceptor.jpg

Here's a pic of the black and white.

MotormaxSHOInterceptor1.jpg

I want to get one of each!:P

Bob noted in his original post that the drivers side spotlight was missing.

More importantly, this model ~~ like nearly all mass-market die cast cars ~~ has unrealistic and un-naturally mounted spotlights. I realize there are limitations to what they can do with a product designed for sales to everyone from discerning adult collectors to small children desiring playtoys, but, the spotlights aren't accurate enough to worry about.

My advice whether they are missing, broken or intact: Rip 'em out and replace them with more accurate items anyway.

Still, otherwise a very nice replica.

:lol:

I think mine is missing one spotlight.

Bob noted in his original post that the drivers side spotlight was missing.

More importantly, this model ~~ like nearly all mass-market die cast cars ~~ has unrealistic and un-naturally mounted spotlights. I realize there are limitations to what they can do with a product designed for sales to everyone from discerning adult collectors to small children desiring playtoys, but, the spotlights aren't accurate enough to worry about.

My advice whether they are missing, broken or intact: Rip 'em out and replace them with more accurate items anyway.

Still, otherwise a very nice replica.

I was just agreeing with Bob... Yes, there is one missing.

Found this by surprise tonight when in Wal Mart to get some coolant and decided to peruse the Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars.

Yes...this is a $9.97 diecast by Motormax...go away if that offends you :D

Album HERE

IMG_8890-vi.jpg

interesting, the one I finally found has Blue marker lights instead of red ones

3MotorMaxFordPoliceInterceptor.jpg

It only took me checking out 6 Wal Marts to find One...

and I think someone was hiding it.. ;);)

"O" Never mind.

They are blue on the passenger side and red on the driver side.

Edited by RodneyBad

Went searching for one of these today, I could only stop at one Wal-Mart because I live in an odd part of the US where we are lucky enough not to have Wal-Marts. closest is about 25 miles away. stopped and they had a newer batch of Motormax police cars, but no Taurus's, Scalpers must have gotten them before I could.

Went searching for one of these today, I could only stop at one Wal-Mart because I live in an odd part of the US where we are lucky enough not to have Wal-Marts. closest is about 25 miles away. stopped and they had a newer batch of Motormax police cars, but no Taurus's, Scalpers must have gotten them before I could.

Terry you're just in the wrong part of the Pittsburgh Metro Area, I have at least 4 of them within 25 miles of my house, and they're building a 5th. :P

Terry you're just in the wrong part of the Pittsburgh Metro Area, I have at least 4 of them within 25 miles of my house, and they're building a 5th. :P

I live a few miles north of Downtown, closest to me is Cranberry, I was at the Robinson one yesterday. they where building one a few miles away from me at Dixmont. but the hillside they where building it on is way to unstable.

• 2 weeks later...

Found one these tonight at a Wal*Mart in York, Nebraska. It was the last one...same all black unmarked unit as seen elsewhere in the thread. I would like to find some white ones without mail-ordering them, as I have a couple of KY projects (I know KY as a test bed, who'd a thunk it) for them, but I don't want to repaint this black one...it's far too ominous (and the paint is pretty good too).

Just an FYI..........I recently stripped and repainted one of these and let me tell you.....There is something with this metal that etching primer will not adhere to. I degreased, roughed up the surface with 400 grit paper, soaked it in viniger to further etch the metal and the Duplicolor etching primer still peeled right off.

Just an FYI..........I recently stripped and repainted one of these and let me tell you.....There is something with this metal that etching primer will not adhere to. I degreased, roughed up the surface with 400 grit paper, soaked it in viniger to further etch the metal and the Duplicolor etching primer still peeled right off.

Well that blows. What on earth are the chinese putting in the metal? Sounds like the best thing to do (in the future) is to use the original finish as a base; just sand, clean, and top with a primer/sealer.

I saw a 1:1 Interceptor on the road today! It was a slick-top, unmarked unit, no pushbar, in Kentucky State Police gray! It was being used to control traffic in a construction zone; otherwise, I would've stopped and snapped a pic.

Wow, I didn't know they were out. The new Caprice is just starting to hit the streets, as are the 2011 Charger police cars. I'll have to familiarize myself with their nighttime/lights-on appearance :lol:

I'm assuming that this is the "New " Ford 500 police interceptor I was talking to a West Virginia Sheiff deputy last week end at lunch ......... Interesting. I was told that they will be avalible both as a Front wheel drive and as a All Wheel driver too. Still, I would hate working on one of these cars , theres the room factoid . Ed Shaver

I saw a 1:1 Interceptor on the road today! It was a slick-top, unmarked unit, no pushbar, in Kentucky State Police gray! It was being used to control traffic in a construction zone; otherwise, I would've stopped and snapped a pic.

I found a photo of a KSP Taurus, the comments on it suggest it's a standard Taurus not an actual P.I. model.

KSP Ford Taurus

-Steve

KY is testing both at KSP (I know of at least one marked as well Ken **EDIT - I see Steve found a picture of it while I was typing this up) and Louisville Metro several CIVILIAN Tauruseseseses (Taursi?), they are not actual police package vehicles, as they will not start rolling off the line until after the usual model year changeover shutdown that most manufacturers usually do in July. Ford offered one to test at MSP & LASO testing this year, but it was a "prototype" and was not "officially" tested.

Ed the "Five Hundred" name hasn't been used since 2008, that failed experiment of giving everything a "F" name was ended then by Mulally as everyone knew what a Taurus was, but no one associated "Five Hundred" with Ford...which I realize is sacrilege to a car guy, but lets face it no soccer mom cares about heritage from the 1960's. The deputy you talked to is correct, the car will be offered in V-6 FWD (Taurus), and twin-turbocharged V-6 AWD (Taurus SHO) packages.

As always it will be interesting to see how these cars really fare. The last Taurus based police car sold like a curse-laden fart in the middle of communion at church, and so has every other FWD car. This Taurus has more room and power, but it's still driving the wrong wheels for a lot of people, and the AWD has to come with the big motor and that's a $$$ option in times of tight budgets. To this day Dodge still sells a lot more V-6 Chargers than Hemis for the same reason. Yeah it's got a Hemi, comes with Yeah a higher price tag. Will also be interesting to see how many departments adopt the Caprice this year. In 2012 it's getting a V-6 option, and the much needed column shifter. So far this year the only departments I know that have gotten any in are the LAPD, and a county sheriff north of Valdosta, GA. While several states and numerous municipalities have the new Chargers already out lurking about the streets and highways.

Edited by niteowl7710

Headlight signatures, Baby. Learn 'em well...

To this day, when driving at night I can tell just by the lamps if it's a Caprice, Crown Vic, or FWD Impala in my rearview! Does get kind of iffy- sometimes it's just a civilian car, and the Mercury Grand Marquis' lamp arrangement does closely resemble that of the Crown Vic. Now most of the local cops are running Tahoes and Expeditions, and that really throws a monkey wrench into things.