Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Daytona Pro Mod 1/16th scale updated 4/3/12 ..It's a wrap!

Rom I've done them in gloss and in flat....And in colors and black only. I think one key here is that until all the cords and open chute packs (open) are in place they may not look right. Once all is done you'll be more satisfied. The gloss is ok because most chutes have a satin appearance but the colors may be a bit vibrant. Why not try one color only...Like black and see how you like it. These are just my suggestions.

As a figure painter, I would suggest you paint them in oils....but that scares people like building a frame in brass. (It's very easy)I think they need to be toned down, shaded and drybrushed. When people think chutes, they don't think bright colors. So that works against you. With no dis-respect intended at all, if you can't pull it off to your liking, then learn to edit. Don't dumb it down with an item not as good as the focal point. Like don't put a J flinstone figure next to a high detail model. Good news is that you could make a couple sets and they would not affect the model at all unlike lets say...chassis color. :wacko: try recovering from that!

Hey fellas thanks for all the advice but the chutes arent at all finished as I stated in a couple comments before this. My concern is weather they should be used or not I know that there shinny they wont be when im done with them.

Only since you asked as I would never want to critize anyone who can build as good as you. I think it is a crime to cover any of that beautiful car. Nothing should break up the nice lines and very cool paint job. No chutes. No jackets. No nothing !!!! Only if there was a flaw that could be covered would I put anything on that car. I may be in the minority but I vote for no chutes unless they are on the ground.

Rom, your just going to have to play with this a bit. Try to add some dullcote and then when the open chute packs and shroud lines are in place as Daryl suggested see what you think then. I can also respect anyone chiming in to suggest that you don't cover up any of that awesome paint work. The other possibility is to find some real life photos of what the chutes actually look like after a run and how they are placed on real cars. Probably not the easiest shots to find but I would see what you can find.

cobraman, on 29 March 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

I may be in the minority but I vote for no chutes unless they are on the ground.

now theres an idea

Yep, gotta admit, I would not have thought about leaving them on the ground either.... :blink: It has merit. ;) and would look different at least Rom. B)

the chutes would have to be on the car or packed otherwise they'd be in the way. ie people tripping over them to get those jackstands under there. the only time ours were ever on the ground was if you had to fold them by yourself which is pretty difficult to do and its almost impossible to get the pilot chute in there without two people.

Rom... Looking good buddy. This is hard one to say with the chutes. I like what you are doing with the chutes. But I kind of agree with the others about not wanting to cover up that awesome paint job. I know I have had an idea for my funny car with doing some chutes which would be laid out on the ground with the pilot chute behind the car as if it was getting ready to get packed. But I was going to have an option where I can switch them out where I could pull the open chute and empty chute pack off and put the one that is packed on. Hopefully this makes sense. It was something I have been thinking how I can have both options and display which I would like. I will explain more when I see you at the Desert Scale Classic on this. Keep up the great work bud.

Looks great Rom... whatever you decide I know will look great. My opinion I would just have the chutes already packed, you did a helluva job on the chutes a few pages back, and the paint looks AWESOME... Sometimes I think there is such a thing as to much detail,, but I support you either way bruh.....

Looks great Rom... whatever you decide I know will look great. My opinion I would just have the chutes already packed, you did a helluva job on the chutes a few pages back, and the paint looks AWESOME... Sometimes I think there is such a thing as to much detail,, but I support you either way bruh.....

I feel that Tyrone , Im just gonna go with the packed chutes there already done and theres no use making more work for myself than I need to.

Rom, WOW you made alot of progress since I last saw this. The paint work looks great, love the color combos. Also nice work with the jacket and chutes!! This will be a killer piece when you finish it, nice job!!

Charlie

Pro Tech

Rom, WOW you made alot of progress since I last saw this. The paint work looks great, love the color combos. Also nice work with the jacket and chutes!! This will be a killer piece when you finish it, nice job!!

Charlie

Pro Tech

Hey thanks Charlie glad you got caught up, and it was good talking to ya today.

I've been watching this one for a while. You've really nailed this beauty. I admire the craftmanship that went into this amazing build. Everything about is simply awesome. Outstanding job, Rommel.

Thanks for chiming in Gary and showing the build some love.... B)

ok I just want to post up some progress pics heres,... where i am after polishing the body a bit its just sitting on the chassis for now I still have to make a couple things before she goes on permanently. I hope you enjoy!

itscandywrapped007.jpg

itscandywrapped006.jpg

itscandywrapped008.jpg

itscandywrapped011.jpg

itscandywrapped012.jpg

Cya tomarrow.... B)

thats just awesome Rom!! I bet you have a permagrin dont you my man??? :D is it pretty heavy all in one piece???

Oh yeah she's got some weight keep in mind that most I'd say 90% of this build is Brass that includes assessorys theres very little plastic here maybe 1%, and the rest is resin , aluminum and solder. Its a good thing I made the jacks from brass! and that premagrin is from ear to ear :D