Model Cars Magazine Forum

Please use a link when you tell me where to go!

A little pet peeve of mine that went off twice for me today so I better tell how to avoid this. B)

When you put the name of a web company in a post you should ALWAYS link it to the company. This is the Internet .. you CAN do this and its what the internet is all about! It's frustrating when someone is asked "where did you get that?" and the response is "at Bills Mini modeling" as if I knew where or what that is. NEVER assume you reader's know where this is .. that's one reason they asked the question.

This forum makes it very easy to put a link to some text. First, you should open another tab and go to the site and copy the link you used when you bought the piece (highlite address and ctrl C to copy).

Now highlight the text you wish to add the link to and use the Insert Link button (next to the smiley). Use ctrl V to paste the link into the URL box. Click Insert Link button and it's done.

I'm of the opinion that this should be always done when directing readers to another site.. even for the ones we commonly think everyone knows ... someone doesn't!

How i can change text of link? B) I just havent figure it yet :P

Just next to the "Emoticons" button, there is the "Insert link"... Put the link to the "URL" spot and under that one, there is the "Link text". Write there, what ever you like and that is text of the link...

Is this also the method for referring to another thread in this forum? I haven't been able to figure that out.

Yes. Just use the way I outlined above. To expand it a little ....

The easiest way is to use another tab in your browser to go the the MCM page you wish to link and copy that URL. Most browsers now allow you to add another tab. In Firefox there's a "+" in the Tab box .. just click that to open a new tab. It should be similar in other browsers.

Edited by Foxer

I always try to include links, but playing devil's advocate, if someone tells you they got it at Bill's Mini Modeling, why can't you do THIS ? :D

Yes, Googling it will find it most of the time. But I've found many places mentioned that were either misspelled, typed incorrectly or simple were un-Googleable! A recent unlinked mention of where a part came from was what got me to post this thread. I still can't find it with Google and I'm not a search novice.

(the spell checker tells me I invented two new Google-words ;) )