Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Stock Car - circa 1968

gasser59

Here's a tribute to a car I built this spring that I used to watch race as a young teenager in Harlan, Iowa. Built from the Black Widow kit with Tamiya Mica Blue paint, Fred's Resin Workshop tires and solder headers. I also created the decals for it and had them printed by Bull Ring Graphix.

Hope you enjoy.

Here's the best picture of three I had of it.

SwansonAuto55CarTU.jpg

IMG_5880sm.jpg

IMG_6100sm.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. The wheels are the Black Widow ones, just deepened a bit and the tires are from Fred's Resin Workshop part number 6064F. They're called 1960-1964 Firestone Style Stock Car tires. The screen material I found on a strainer at Walmart. Its metal so it holds it shape quite well and the mesh was the perfect size. Once cut to shape, I spray painted it flat black.

Thanks again guys.

Edited by gasser59

This actual car and the Swanson Automotive shop that built it has a bit of racing history as one of the original Black Widow cars gifted to them by the GM Racing Division. In his earlier years, Dale Swanson built cars for Tiny Lund and Johnny Beaucamp as all three of these fellas were from Harlan. For more info on this, check out the PDF under about us at www.swanson-automotive.com. Very interesting reading.

After reading this article and watching this car race in my younger years, I just had to build it to help tell the story. Thanks again for the comments.

Edited by gasser59