Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Flathead Rail

Here's an older build of mine. It's a Revell parts pack frame with the engine from Monograms `50 pick up. The blower is from the old AMT `57 Chevy w/ scoop from the Tony Nancy rail. The rear tires are also parts pack item. The front axle was made from aluminum w/ operating steering.

Models_110021-vi.jpg

Models_110022-vi.jpg

When you race, you need a tow vehicle. Paint is Boyds and the wide whites came from the Revell `59 Impala and the chrome reversed from the parts drawer. The bed is carrying a few things you might need and the trailer was scratch-built from Plasti-struct.

Models_110023-vi.jpg

I wish there were 34 hours in a day and I worked a 4 day week. Maybe THEN I'll get my hobby room together and I can start again. My next few weekends will be spent building a deck and dog house plus fencing in his kennel/run. Then we paint the garage and organize that. Maybe by the Fall I'll get indoors and clean out that room.....

Models_110047-vi.jpg

Cool Dragster! That tow truck looks good too, nice combo. I like the color of the Dragster, and wheels look good. Tires are simly the perfect choice for that. Nice builds, and Flathead is great! I haven't seen too much of these Flathead powered dragsters- this one is great! :D

Very nice build using some very hard to find parts. I've been trying to find one of those Mooneyes dragster frames for ages. The flathead looks perfect in this build and the Chevy truck compliments it just right. I hope you find more time to build as your work is excelent.

10-15 yrs. ago I was deeply immersed in the hobby. Then life hits.....and everything grins to a halt. Between family issues, meeting & marrying my wife Amy, and finally finishing the restoration of my Barracuda. Right now I'm 3/4 of the way through getting the household projects we planned done. More than likely I'll get to the hobby room next. Amy has already promised to kick my a** if I don't....

Here's a few more from my past

Chopped AMT `64 Imperial slammer w/ billet wheels

Models_110026-vi.jpg

High-tech AMT `59 Buick Lead Sled

Models_110046-vi.jpg

I'll finish up with another Drag vehicle....Scratch-built brass frame with a fully detailed Hemi.

This was called "Overkill"

Models_110012-vi.jpg

Thanks for the compliments gang! Looking forward to getting back in the groove! 1927808-headbang.gif

Here's an older build of mine. It's a Revell parts pack frame with the engine from Monograms `50 pick up. The blower is from the old AMT `57 Chevy w/ scoop from the Tony Nancy rail. The rear tires are also parts pack item. The front axle was made from aluminum w/ operating steering.

Models_110021-vi.jpg

Models_110022-vi.jpg

When you race, you need a tow vehicle. Paint is Boyds and the wide whites came from the Revell `59 Impala and the chrome reversed from the parts drawer. The bed is carrying a few things you might need and the trailer was scratch-built from Plasti-struct.

Models_110023-vi.jpg

I wish there were 34 hours in a day and I worked a 4 day week. Maybe THEN I'll get my hobby room together and I can start again. My next few weekends will be spent building a deck and dog house plus fencing in his kennel/run. Then we paint the garage and organize that. Maybe by the Fall I'll get indoors and clean out that room.....

Models_110047-vi.jpg

John you did an awesome job on that vintage rail and the tow vehicle is not too shabby either.

Thanks for the kind words. That dragster was a spur-of-the-moment build! At one time I had a large stash of parts packs ( don't ask.... they're almost all gone) and I wanted a vintage rail. Small block Chevy's are boring and a 392 Hemi predictable. I had read a kit review in one of the magazines saying how nice the Flathead was in the then new `50 Ford pick-up kit. So I robbed the engine from that kit and did about 20 minutes research. I mostly built it from vibe..... If I did it today I guess I'd need a Rat Rod tow vehicle...

Looking forward to getting back into it. I have a million ideas..... th_dancingnanapiano.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I love this combo! Great workmanship and detail too. The flathead is a great choice of engine. One thing that I would like to point out for those of you that would like to do something similar. Remember, these cars had no on board starters, they were all push started. Soooo you would need a push bar at the rear of the car and push plate on the tow vehicle! Just some extra details to make a great build closer to perfect.

WF

Aww...this isn't fair...dude...get out of my head....I have that same combo on the bench as I see this...truck and dragster in primer, I want to run a chevy inline 6 in mine...but thanks for doing that cool build. Mine was stalled and I needed a kick to get me going...that did it!

Remember, these cars had no on board starters, they were all push started. Soooo you would need a push bar at the rear of the car and push plate on the tow vehicle! Just some extra details to make a great build closer to perfect.

WF

Funny you mention that....

The side of the block where the starter would mount is empty w/ a hole in the face of the bellhousing. There's also 3 starter bolt holes drilled. Good catch on the missing push bar! I also have to find the missing seat insert.

Edited by FASTBACK340

Aww...this isn't fair...dude...get out of my head....I have that same combo on the bench as I see this...truck and dragster in primer, I want to run a chevy inline 6 in mine...but thanks for doing that cool build. Mine was stalled and I needed a kick to get me going...that did it!

I built that rail, truck, & trailer way back when the Chevy was a new kit. Mid 90's? Again, it came together as a "quickie" project.

Thanks for the compliments guys!