Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Buick GSX "Flipnose"

John Teresi

John, as usual, you're blowing me away. A few quick questions though, what gauge is the wiring from the alternator and on the firewall, and where did you get the foam for the ram-air seals from?

Mike........I really don`t know the gauge size of the wiring......I get it from "Pro Tech".......it`s called detailing wire....... it comes in red,black,yellow and blue......the foam is from a piece that I found at the park when I was walking my dog`s..... I really don`t know what it came from......I cut some small pieces and cut centers out and painted the top and inside with arcrylic grey.......when I am finished I will lightly airbrush some black into the centers of ram-air seals......thank`s

I have never seen a hemi run worth a ###### on plain pump gas on the street. I always heard rumours of some fast Hemi mopar on the street. Never saw one produce the stories. I know they were out there but the average high schooler didn't drive one. Not to say the least they werent out there. Saw plenty of othered Mopars that were fast but with a more common 440 and such. Cant knock the performance on the strip or oval though of the Hemi..Saw plenty of 455 powered Buicks haul butt in my days.on the street.As far as a Mopar motor in a Buick that is different but I'm not knocking his build in any way

Edited by fanofratfink

Nice work so far John how do you make your tee`s the the brake lines. An also what you use to tie the brake lines to the chassic. I don`t know if you saw my question earlier but I asked how did you scratchbuild those exhaust tips? keep up the good work John you guys amaze me that you and some other`s bring this modelling to such a higher level keep it going man.

John Pol

I am very curious as to where this build is going...and FYI, the GSX 455 is one of the most powerful engines that GM ever produced with more torque than the 426 Hemi. I love Mopars as well, but the GSX could honestly wax most of 'em.

I was going to point this out, but you beat me to it. The Chevy LS6 was about the only more powerful engine out there in the 1970's

Edited by CorvairJim

Nice work so far John how do you make your tee`s the the brake lines. An also what you use to tie the brake lines to the chassic. I don`t know if you saw my question earlier but I asked how did you scratchbuild those exhaust tips? keep up the good work John you guys amaze me that you and some other`s bring this modelling to such a higher level keep it going man.

John Pol

John......the t`fittings are from "Pro Tech".......I tied them to the chassis with pieces of thinly cut and filled aluminum......the exhaust tip`s were made from styrene ......the top and bottom shaped the same ........then a thin strip to tie them together....then a round piece of styrene at the back of the exhaust......then I sanded the edges......thank`s.

And so here we go again. Who cares what he powers it with. I personally don't get the 'Put this engine into this chassis' garbage: if it's a Buick, power it with a Buick. A Mopar belongs in a Mopar (or a high performance straight-line acceleration vehicle).

As to you guys and your 'Buick is better than Mopar' and 'At least he isn't building a Ford' yapping: each manufacturer had a dominant engine. The Buick 455 (in any stage) did create more torque than the mighty Hemi, but it ran out of steam as the Hemi just kept on breathing (there is a reason it holds NASCAR and NHRA speed records, along with countless RTA and SCTA records). Fords cammers and 429s were fine, but its' real gem was the wind-happy BOSS302. Chevy had phenomenal success with its' Small Block as it was (for the time it was introduced) light, compact, and highly versatile. The 427 Chevy was great as it had near perfect bore/stroke ratio as well as rod/stroke ratio. Mopars were built like tanks, and took terrible abuse before letting go.

Look at modern powertrains: LS series Chevy has great potential (thanks to finally getting with the program and going early Mopar/Ford head configuration) due to its indestructible bottom end and great heads. Ford has the Coyote and Modular family engines. Seen the power coming from them on such a diminuative cubic inch displacement? Mopar still has the 'Hemi' and it does a far better job than its 426cid father did with less cubes. Dare I bring the imports into this? Pray not.

Just build the model and see where it goes.

Nicely said :)

This another fascinating build by the master builder John. I have been thinking of building one of these as I had a '72 Skylark with the same body style many moons ago and this build has cemented that idea home. Beautiful work John. Love all of the details.

On closer inspection of your photos, it looks like one of your rear tires is mounted reversed as one has a ring on the sidewall and the other doesn't. Hope they're not glued up yet.

Edited by gasser59

Great work & detailing John! I hope this isn't out of line but just a suggestion. You might want to put the brake lines on top of the rear end if it isn't too late. The way it is now with the brake lines on the bottom of the rear end they would be susceptable to getting ripped off by road debris, speed bumps, potholes, etc. Again great work sir :)

Joe......thank you for pointing that out........I have changed it to the top of the axle......thank`s again.

This another fascinating build by the master builder John. I have been thinking of building one of these as I had a '72 Skylark with the same body style many moons ago and this build has cemented that idea home. Beautiful work John. Love all of the details.

On closer inspection of your photos, it looks like one of your rear tires is mounted reversed as one has a ring on the sidewall and the other doesn't. Hope they're not glued up yet.

Brad......thank you for pointing that out......but,when I went to change the tire I noticed that the tire had no ring on both sides and the other had a ring on both sides ......dang, I got a defective set of tires.......they were in my part`s box.......I think i`ll dig up another set from another kit......thank`s again.

Hello......I got some paint on the body......H.O.K. Pagan Gold over H.O.K. Gold Base...... airbrushed H.O.K. black hood stripes........the gold color look`s better in person.....my camera did not pick up the right gold color......I think outside pictures will look better.......I applied the decals and used some bare-metal foil......the rear and front bumpers were stripped and painted alclad.....the mufflers were also painted alclad.......I will clear coat the body today......thank`s for looking.

DSCF0416.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

DSCF0403.jpg

John, I really was not certain about where you were going with this one, but WOW! With that paint and the mockup with the aluminum rims, I am on board and sold. This one is going to be another looker. You always inspire me with your builds! Thanks for sharing with us.