Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Well, since I'm on vacation this week it would be a shame if I wasn't able to find any time to work on projects. Got some more done here. Thanks to John Teresi for a couple of reference pics. I was able to get started on the wheelie bars. First I had to create an anti-sway bar for the working suspension so it wouldn't move side to side. It is temporarily rigged up with some parts box photo etch and hardware from Scale Hardware. It works and moves with the suspension so now the next step is to paint it and permanently mount it.

Next is the beginning of the working wheelie bars. I started with two different sized aluminum square stock lengths and more hardware from SH. Much more to scratchbuild on this so there will be more to come later in the week.

DSC08002-vi.jpg

DSC08004-vi.jpg

DSC08007-vi.jpg

DSC08009-vi.jpg

DSC08010-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work Wayne.... It's looking great!! Where did you get your springs from? Its a nice looking spring. I look forward to seeing more progress on the whole Wheelie bar set up.

The spring pictured came from Radio Shack. A few years back I noticed that they sold some 1/32 scale radio control cars that also had a seperate suspension kit that you could purchase. The kit came with three complete sets of springs for different tension ratings. They work perfectly for rear suspensions in 25th scale.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decals are done. I printed a second sheet of the graphics onto clear decal film and doubled them up to brighten the image. Now I just give it a few days for all decals to settle and then hit the body with some clear.

DSC08012-vi.jpg

DSC08013-vi.jpg

DSC08014-vi.jpg

DSC08015-vi.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The spring pictured came from Radio Shack. A few years back I noticed that they sold some 1/32 scale radio control cars that also had a seperate suspension kit that you could purchase. The kit came with three complete sets of springs for different tension ratings. They work perfectly for rear suspensions in 25th scale.

Thanks wayne. those springs look perfect. that body sure looks great with the extra set of decals over it. Nice work!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of the comments.

The wheelie bars are almost complete. The only thing left is too fabricate the pads which are what make contact with the pavement and create the sparks during the run. Once that is done then it will be ready to be painted and installed. Don't mind the different colored springs. As springs are supposed to do the other red spring sprung out of my hand and where it went is anybodys guess. I'm sure that I will find it in two years or so when I am down on the floor looking for some other part that decided to fly away. Meanwhile, the yellow one will work just fine, all I have to do is touch it up with some red paint or sharpie. The working mechanism works well.

The red cross section is also true testament to having a parts box where you save every little piece of every model from the past. You never know when something you saved will come in handy. In this case the cross brace is from a rollcage from some kit that I saved parts from and it just happened to be the perfect size for bracing.

DSC08016-vi.jpg

DSC08017-vi.jpg

DSC08018-vi.jpg

DSC08019-vi.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The wheelie bar is now complete. I have temporarily attached it to check for any fit issues and how the mechanism works. Everything appears to be fine, although the overall lift ability isn't what I would have liked but it still looks good, in my opinion. Now I can remove it and get the final painting done on the piece.

DSC08026-vi.jpg

DSC08027-vi.jpg

DSC08028-vi.jpg

DSC08029-vi.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I for one think it looks pretty much spot on, and darn cool! About the only thing you could have done would have been to either raise the back of the body up further or shorten the mechanism from the frame out to the part that holds the weight. And figure if you were to do that it just wouldn't look right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 years later...

Out of the ashes rises an old build that never got finished. I pulled it from the box a few months back and the more I looked at it the more I decided that I wasn't happy with the second paint job. So, once again, I started over. Before repaint I made the hood opening smaller and then came up with yet another paint scheme different from the last two. Now it's time to get this one finished so I don't have to change my mind again.

All of the decals are on and clear coat added today.

20201214_204759-vi.jpg

20201214_204810-vi.jpg

20201214_204744-vi.jpg

20201214_204825-vi.jpg

20201214_204729-vi.jpg

20201214_204717-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...