Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acrylic paint cleaner?

If your paint dried, Testors offers Model Master Acryl dried acrylic paint remover. It smells a bit like hand-sanitizer gel and has the same consistency, but other stuff besides alcohol in it. It works well on parts, but have never had occasion to use it on brushes.

Word to the wise- follow the directions on the bottle to the letter.

Charlie Larkin

I just keep one of those testors 1.75oz thinner bottles on my bench filled with lacquer thinner. I swish the brush around in there a bit and then do a few "brush strokes" on a clean paper towel and leave it to dry. It's relatively cheap to buy a big container of it, and like Gregg said, it will clean anything. When the bottle starts to get icky looking inside, I dump it out, pour a little bit of lacquer thinner in it and shake it (with the lid on :P ) to clean it out, and then fill it again with new thinner.

Sometimes, for acrylics, I use good ol' Ajax & water when I'm cleaning a "delicate/expensive" brush or paint off of a part that didn't come out right (definitely don't wanna use lacquer thinner for that... It'll turn your plastic into mush in short order).

Wow, how timely--I was doing some research on that question myself. I have read of a product for artist acrylic called "pink soap". I was wondering if lacquer thinner is best for use while spending several hours at the workbench. But as you prepare to leave close a work session maybe a good washing with "pink soap" would prolong the life of the red sable brush. Thoughts?