Model Cars Magazine Forum

A couple of 'Old-School' Customs

traditional

These customs were built a few years ago, and were my first foray into trying to work with diecast starting material. They both began as stock mainstream diecast models bought at WalMart for somewhere between $14 and $20.

I learned quickly that working with diecast substrate is a bit different from the plastic processes that I was more accustomed to in that any major modifications like chopping, channelling and shortening etc. has to be fastened mechanically if there's going to be any durability. The familiar plastic solvent-weld technique had to be replaced with 'drilling and pinning' before any filling and blending could take place.

The advantage of diecast is that you can easily use standard automotive fillers, primers and paints and ,delightfully, the models have much more longevity with these automotive materials. Over time you don't get those minor 'sinks' that seem to appear as plastic solvent-welds shrink over time.

Both these models use felt as carpeting and they both have engine swaps to go along with the bodywork....the '50 Ford uses a modified Oldsmobile engine and the Ranchero has a modified Cadillac. They both have lots of engine detail including the usual wiring and plumbing.

The undersides are finished with polished aluminum exhaust systems and all brake-lines and fuel-lines etc.

I had a lot of fun building these models and because they're kept in display cases, they've maintained their integrity over the years.

P9230108.jpg

P9230109.jpg

P9230112.jpg

P9230099.jpg

P9230100.jpg

Very sleek and kool!

I love the little touches of detail, like the scallops on the underside of the car. Very neat.

The paint is also amazing. Really deep shine.

I've not been building kits for long, so I'm a bit concerned that you mention shrinkage and potential problems with styrene. I had no idea this could happen.

I do try and keep my builds in a stable environment and always under glass. I hope they don't suffer over time.

Anyway, that aside...I love these builds of yours. Very clean. Loads of skill.

Wow, keep these awesome builds coming Clifford!

Do you have a scale version of your HHR panel & trailer combo???

Hi Jeff,

No, I don't have any examples of an HHR model at all (other than a 1/64 Johnny Lightning), but if anyone decides to make a kit, I'd be 'all over it'.

Bye-the-way, my wife has an HHR (windowed version) as well....it's a year-round driver, but my panel goes away for the winter.

I assume by your avatar that you're an HHR fan yourself.....I think that they're one of GM's best kept secrets....smooth, comfortable, and economical.

I knew that I wanted a panel version as soon as I saw it...no practical reason,,,I just love sedan deliveries.

Man! I love both of those! Stunning paint jobs on both! I never would have thought diecasts could be made into builds that look this nice. Excellent work on both of them!