Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

Folks, I had forgotten how utterly ugly this vehicle was/is. It's giving me a hard time trying to line up the front facia/grill, the hood, the side back window inserts . . . I don't know, suddenly it's not as easy as I thought it would be.

But I am determined to keep working on it.

what is the issue that you are having Virgil? i don't have a Gremlin kit yet, maybe tomorrow. can you explain or maybe post some pics of the fit problems you are having?

X2!!!

Has anyone built the AMC V8 from this kit yet? How does it look, convincing? And is anyone using OEM AMC engine "turquoise" paint? It seems I've only seen LARGE quantities of it...

Thanks Round 2 models. I wasn't too sure about the big box at first, but when I opened the box I was pleasently suprised by the print of the box art. Nice job on retooling this vintage kit, this really turned out nice. I'll be buying three or four for sure.

Vernon Hayden

I am going to build another Gremlin as a IMSA RS race car. I was going to document all the 'fixes' I used to build my Booth car with that build.....but here is some info for the grille front end.

At the base of the grille headlight unit there is a plastic that needs to be trimmed. If you trim these almost off the grille unit will fit into the opening like it should. The bottom sides of the grille unit should fit on the outside of the cars fenders. Kinda hard to describe but I will post pics later if you can wait. Making this mod also allows the fenders to sit correctly on top of the grille.

This kit needs a number of small adjustments to help things fit better....nothing major but little things. My P/S build is about done so I will post those pics soon and start on No. 2 with how to pics.

That does it! I had no interest in this kit until I read this thread... Absolutely disgusting, I am appalled... I now want one! There's just something about a V8 stuffed in a little monster like this... Yes, they were ugly little cars but they certainly had character... Kinda like the old Wagoners, ehh?

Edited by Wagoneer81

what is the issue that you are having Virgil? i don't have a Gremlin kit yet, maybe tomorrow. can you explain or maybe post some pics of the fit problems you are having?

Dave, the front grill clip doesn't fit right and the hood scoop option is not large enough, so there are these unnatural gaps. I'm hoping it's just my kit, which is why I'm asking others. On the rear side window inserts are so tight that when I snapped one in by force the post broke at the bottom.

Maybe I'm being too rough on this rather small kit. LOL, I guess I would probably destroy a Mini Cooper if I ever built one!

My AMT Gremlin is complete for now. It will get a coat of Future floor shine in a few weeks after the paint and decals are completely dry.

GREMLINWB-vi.jpg

Tamiya paint with Penngwen decals. Box stock other than seats stolen from a AMT Mustang kit.

GREMLINWB1-vi.jpg

GREMLINWB4-vi.jpg

NOT a accurate replica of Wally Booth's Gremlin....wrong year and a few details....but it will look good on the shelf with my G&R Mustang and Maverick and the under construction Hornet.

Check the link for more info....INCLUDING some of the fixes I made to the Gremlin....I'll add more as I build Gremlin No. @!!!

http://public.fotki.com/DaveVan51/2012-builds/

Great looking Gremlin Dave.. B)

On a side note.

While watching Bones the other day, Caroline (The Prosecutor from the U.S. Attorney's Office) was seen driving a Gremlin in the last Episode.

Also I just soo happen to find my HotWheel Gremlin that I haven't seen in a long time.

Do you notice yourself noticing more Gremlins around town than ya use to?

I don't think AMC's were the worst rusting cars of the 70's. This is my unrestored survivor 1974 Matador coupe. No rust trough what so ever....some surface on top of the fenders etc my fault cause I didn't do anything after the paint failed.....and it sat outside. My 73 Javelin is rock solid too.

MAT3-vi.jpg

Any 70's car can rust as the manufactures didn't do much to prevent it.

Great looking Gremlin Dave.. B)

On a side note.

While watching Bones the other day, Caroline (The Prosecutor from the U.S. Attorney's Office) was seen driving a Gremlin in the last Episode.

Also I just soo happen to find my HotWheel Gremlin that I haven't seen in a long time.

Do you notice yourself noticing more Gremlins around town than ya use to?

I saw that one on Bones! Yellow. neat to see a Gremmy on TV.

I don't think AMC's were the worst rusting cars of the 70's. This is my unrestored survivor 1974 Matador coupe. No rust trough what so ever....some surface on top of the fenders etc my fault cause I didn't do anything after the paint failed.....and it sat outside. My 73 Javelin is rock solid too.

MAT3-vi.jpg

Any 70's car can rust as the manufactures didn't do much to prevent it.

Problem around here isn't just the weather, it's the massive amounts of salt used to combat ice on top of it. Somehow my '98 XJ has stayed amazingly solid so far (I just finally noticed what looks like the beginings of rust bubbles in the rockers this summer) but the '90 Dad and the '92 my Sister had werein horrible shape when they were scrapped, you could see inside the rockers and the quarters would let sunlight through.

AMC's were 'different' for sure....and the reason I like them. Ugly, homely or whatever they were not copies of the other big 3. If you read about AMC they did some amazing stuff. They invented the mini van but had no money to build it. Think it they did....it might be AMC bought Chrysler and we'd still have AMC's today!