Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

There's a little bit of flash here and there, but not enough to detract from an otherwise BEAUTIFUL kit. I love it. Ah, the options! Who knew that the Gremlin would be so loved once again. LOL!

006-vi.jpg

009-vi.jpg

010-vi.jpg

It comes with a nice print you can frame and hang at your bench!

Guys....the tool is more than 40 years old!!!! For it's age it pretty much 'state of the art'!! Now that's not to say there are some things that need fine tuning to build it. I am almost done with my Pro-stock version and there are a few gremlins in the kit to fix.....but NOTHING a average modeler can do. I'll post ASAP!

Owning 2 AMC 1/1 cars I am more than thrilled to have a hard to get kit back. Now if they could find some old JoHan AMC molds in some vault.

Edited by Dave Van

Guys....the tool is more than 40 years old!!!! For it's age it pretty much 'state of the art'!!

I think that fact tends to be forgotten when an older kit is announced for reissue, especially by younger builder who may not have experience with older (and by older I mean pre-'90 or so) kits, since we've been spoiled the last 15 years or so with so many new/modern kit from new tooling.

As with any model, there is always room for improvement, but how much is up to the builder. Even if you're not a huge fan of older kits like this on, we should at least give credit (and some thanks) to Round2 for not only bringing this kit back, but for taking the steps necessary to reissue it with the stock body instead of the customized body, as it was last reissued. It's probably not a quick and easy process to repair and backdate the tooling, so kudos to Round2 for investing the time, money and effort.

And thanks for posting the pics of the kit's contents, everyone. I think that makes huge difference to those on the fence about buying one (or more). :D

I like any of the reissues of long-gone annuals or other stock subjects, especially those from the '70s. Really liking the Gremlin and Chevy van, looking forward to the Ford van and whatever comes next...would like to see the stock Matador or a Pacer, Pinto... how about the Volare? The '77 Vega body was modified into the '78 Monza 'S' last seen in the Twister Vega variation..don't know if Round 2 would consider retooling that..

I like any of the reissues of long-gone annuals or other stock subjects, especially those from the '70s. Really liking the Gremlin and Chevy van, looking forward to the Ford van and whatever comes next...would like to see the stock Matador or a Pacer, Pinto... how about the Volare? The '77 Vega body was modified into the '78 Monza 'S' last seen in the Twister Vega variation..don't know if Round 2 would consider retooling that..

Bring on all those 70's cars!! The MPC Pinto with the Pro stock option would be great. The only Vega left is that Vega/Monza thing Stevens issued a few years ago through AMT. We at Model King had them search long for any other Vega......it may be there...but they didn't find it then. The Volare is a no brainer again. Include the Road Runner stuff even if you can't put it on the box.

And yes.....done right a Pacer could sell well. One of the few inline 6 engines.....maybe a pseudo Waynes World flame decals etc. The Pacer was also in 'Good Burger' as a delivery.....feed off that too. The MPC version had a roll cage and was raced in the IMSA RS series....so it is a race car!

Edited by Dave Van

I vote the MPC Pinto and Pacer were better. They shared no tooling as AMT and MPC were big competitors at the time. The AMT versions were a little soft detail wise and not as many options.

As for a Model King issue....R2/AMT/MPC does not allow private issue kits any longer. We hope to have some new private issue kits coming this year from Moebius, Revell and someone else. :D

Edited by Dave Van

Here is a quick mock up after it came from the paint booth. Still work to do. It will not be a exact replica of Booth's car, wrong year and details, but my tribute to the P/S Gremlin to sit beside my other 70's era P/S builds. I'll post more details later. Thanks R2!

GREMLINBOOTH-vi.jpg

Tamiya paint....box stock other than the seats.....stock seats were too odd for P/S!!!

A MPC Dodge Challenger would be a great reissue, the pro stock kit like Dick Landy's, Motown Missile etc.. As there is no really good 70-74 Dodge Challenger kits out in my opinion that are as good proportion wise as the MPC bodies were, the AMT one is a combo convertible kit and the Revell/Monogram ones the bodies are off a bit..Plus we really do need a new or reissued Vega, pinto or Maverick kit.. Again just my humble opinion.

Edited by kitswapper

Here is a quick mock up after it came from the paint booth. Still work to do. It will not be a exact replica of Booth's car, wrong year and details, but my tribute to the P/S Gremlin to sit beside my other 70's era P/S builds. I'll post more details later. Thanks R2!

GREMLINBOOTH-vi.jpg

Tamiya paint....box stock other than the seats.....stock seats were too odd for P/S!!!

Very cool. Darn, I saw this at the hobby shop today and passed it by for other choices. Now I have to go back and get one of these. lol

I just love the paint you put on this little beast.

Rob

My good buddy, Johnny Boy Thorman, had one of these with a 304 V-8 and a 4spd, with the Levi bluejean interior. That car was LETHAL!!! keeping it in a straight line wasn't too bad, but the acceleration of it was monster!!!

Mine had the 258 straight six, Chrysler TorqueFlight trans and Ford 9" rear end. It was a little sleeper!

Mine had the 258 straight six, Chrysler TorqueFlight trans and Ford 9" rear end. It was a little sleeper!

If the 258 in that thing was like it's 4.0l offspring in the Cherokee and Comanche, it was probably hard to keep up with till about 40 or so :)

Edited by Joe Handley