Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

From what I remember all of the JoHan AMC V8s are the first-gen style, even the ones in the SC/Rambler and AMX. All they did was tool up a few new top end pieces to disguise the old engine as the second-gen AMC unit. That, and there's that big, flippin', 3/16" or so hole in the block.

Dave Z, that's why I decided to do something else with mine . . . had I ended up building it stock, I think I would have gone the route you've decided to go. Look for better parts for the thing.

Another harsh reality of the kit is that if you glue the drag style muffler where they are supposed to go on the headers, they will lift the front wheels off the ground. Very unnerving.

Back when I was building the mustang II reissue, I mocked up the great chassis from the amt 67 mustang fastback and it worked well as a starting point, that may also be the same for the gremlin too. Anyone mock up the firefighter mustang chassis to the gremlin yet? Im still waiting on mine to arrive.

Neither of the local hobby stores had the Gremlin (nor the Chevy Van for that matter ...) , so I'm going to wait for about a month before I look again (and , no , I won't buy them online and give-in to paying shipping costs ! )

I have two AMT Matador annuals (1975 and 1976) and the 'generic' AMC 304/360 builds up nicely . Those vintage issues have two factory-stock induction setups ( 2Bbl and "Go Pack" 4Bbl) and the Tunnel Ram setup with its two carbs .

The accompanying 727 "Torque-Command 8" transmission is a nice touch (and certainly better than the gaffes of the MPC kits wherein the interior bespoke of an automatic , but the drivetrain was a manual ! ) , and the stock , snorkled air cleaners are convincing .

I painted the engines in the earlier , close-enough medium metallic blue (similar to Oldsmobile Engine Blue) ; however , my build of this Gremlin will have the engine in the light , turquoise blue of that era (planned Modified Production build's engine will be in blue metallic).

I like that this Gremlin issue includes headers (!!) , something which was lacking in the Matador kits (in spite of the Pro Stock building option !!).

What about using the engine from the JoHan Rambler S/C? I have an S/C,but haven't built it yet. IIRC, it has a pretty nice parts breakdown,but I haven't even looked at it for well over a year. The Javelin may also be an option.

The Rambler suffers from that gigantic hole in the block- to me that's the worst offense on that particular engine. Sure, you can patch them shut, or just cross your fingers and hope the inner fenders and exhaust manifolds help to obscure them. Heck, I've done it myself...

5-vi.jpg

That's the SC/Rambler engine in a '53 Hornet. (By the way, that's not the kit air cleaner- I dug it out of my parts box, and the decal is a spare from a Fred Cady SC/Rambler sheet).

Me? I'd still have to go with the Monogram Jeep CJ-7 piece- it's probably the best example of the second-gen AMC V8 in scale. The only deal-breaker (for some) is that it's 1:24 scale. That and you'd need to do something about replacing the transfer case with a proper 2wd tailshaft. The Revell Jeep J-10 engine (done in 1:25) isn't as nice as the Monogram engine, but still passable, though that kit isn't quite as easy to track down as the CJ kit. I suppose it would all boil down to how much work you wanted to invest into the finished model, and how dead-nuts accurate and realistic you wanted it to be in the end.

I had actually forgot about the huge hole in the block Chuck. For some reason, I was thinking the Rambler didn't have that. I should have known better with it being a JoHan kit. :rolleyes: I've always thought the engine in the CJ-7 Jeep looked a little on the small side in it's engine compartment,so to me, there's no reason it wouldn't work in the Gremlin. More than likely, I'll just do an entire tranny swap on mine. I have a CJ engine floating around here somewhere. Now, I just need to get off my duff and go buy a couple or three.