Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

AMC's were 'different' for sure....and the reason I like them. Ugly, homely or whatever they were not copies of the other big 3. If you read about AMC they did some amazing stuff. They invented the mini van but had no money to build it. Think it they did....it might be AMC bought Chrysler and we'd still have AMC's today!

Dave, I grew up just across the Wisconsin border in Northern Illinois from the AMC factory in Kenosha WI. The folks there supported the factory and at one time there were probably more AMC vehicles registered in Kenosha county than any other county in the US! While the cars were not stylish compared to the Big 3, they had unique features. I go back to the area during the summer to visit family and if there is a cruise night in Kenosha, you can bet there will be some nice AMC cars there!

The Javelin reminds me of the black interceptor from Mad Max and the Road Warrior. I've always thought it was a good looking car.

As for the Gremlin, I'm going to have to get at least one. I want to build a Hurst Rescue Gremlin. In the 70s someone got the idea that combining hydraulic Hurst recue tools with a Gremlin would be a great rescue vehicle for fire departments. I've got a copy of an ad around here somewhere.

Edited by Aaronw

I've been pecking away at a decal how to for about 6 months off and on (more off than on), the Rescue 1 Gremlin would give me a subject to focus on the ALPS vs Ink / Laserjet for the demos.

I'm thinking the orange and white striping would be better done by masking and painting, so the actual decals would be fairly simple.

Edited by Aaronw

front suspension? i think it's missing

:lol: I suspect more than one person will end up tossing it, not realizing that's all there is. :blink:

Is there a similar era AMC model which could donate accurate front suspension pieces? Ideally something without a axle rod, but AFAIK only AMT, MPC and JoHan produced AMC car models of the '70s.

The front suspension is partly there.....The inner half of the lower control arms are engraved but the outer half is missing as are the strut rods that would run from the lower control to the front of the chassis. Look at a 65-66 Mustang for something kinda like the Gremlin although the upper part is different.....some say old fashion! This kit was tooled much like a promo and that may be were it stated although a promo was never made.

AMC used rather old technology even in the late '70s; then again, it was bought and paid for and it WORKED, so why go changing?

nobody has ever kitted a realistic AMC front suspension, but it's not too difficult to replicate if you've got some junked GT500 kits or the like. IIRC the Pacer kit had a one-piece front crossmember that had the rack and pinion molded into it.... now, THAT's simplistic.

The steep angle of the inner fenders/shock towers looks odd but considering there really is no front suspension, it makes sense for the model.

Ah well, you take what you can get from '70s AMT kits.

Something about 10" wide Cragar S/S wheels and N50s just works on a Gremlin.

4491_108134435049_561440049_3151034.jpg

Edited by Casey

Has anyone built the AMC V8 from this kit yet? How does it look, convincing?

I didn't see this answered yet, but looking at the pics of Dave's built engine, it's hard to say since his has a tunnel ram intake. It would be nice to have an accurate AMC V8, but the cynic in me says there probably has never been one made in scale from either AMT, MPC, nor JoHan. :(

The AMC engine in the Matador is better....not a lot but some. Having worked on a number of AMC modern V-8's the Gremlin motor is not bad....the axle hole in the block is the worst thing. The chrome valve covers are strange....stock pretty good. The oil pan from the Gremlin and the rest Matador would make a decent AMC.

What I don't like about the Matador V8 is the soft engraving and overall lack of detail, though to be fair, it wasn't to bad compared to what else was avaialble at the time. The Monogram CJ-7 engine is a bit simplified, but very nice, trouble is it's 1:24, not 1:25 like the Gremlin.