Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1976 Gremlin

towtruck

is it just me, or are the seats ridiculously narrow in this kit? i've done some detail work on the front suspension using Mustang parts, and am going to beef up the inner shock towers better. the Pacer 6 cyl just fits, barely... i've added some sheet styrene to the sides of the seats to bulk them out a bit more...

the chassis plate was straight and no warp noticeable. almost no flash to speak of.... and '70's style F-series tires again (at least they look like the '70's issue, just not as hard as rock)....

i think i built this kit ONCE in the '70's... got clumsy and smeared glue on the glass. it's going together like peanut butter and jelly.....

the decal sheet is very sharp. i miss decal sheets that had more than a set of Utah plates and "I heart model cars".....

AMT (R2) says that this is a part of an Art Box series in the packaging; any word on what other kits R2 has in mind to dangle before our eyes?

I picked up this kit from my LHS yesterday. The kit obviously has some issues. But in this case, I say so what. Great job by AMT on the beautiful packaging and the drag options. As far the fit issues and no front suspension, etc - I see some projects as a celebration of the subject and some projects as a celebration of the kit. Rather than trying to build the most accurate Gremlin ever, I'll try to build a great AMT '76 Gremlin reissue. If I do the best job I can do with the ingredients given and it looks cool sitting on a shelf, I won't lose sleep over any inaccuracies it may have.

cutting away some of the excess drop might help but modifying the tub/chassis interface will affect the engine compartment alignment. i'm working on improving the chassis fit myself, and considering adding wheelwell inner structure at the back to hide the gap between the tub and the chassis. AMC's were all body color on the engine compt and wheewells, so any contrast there sticks out like a sore thumb. the seat modification (added width) helps immensely to correct that problem. the fit of the chassis/tub/body is interlocked, i've found; the firewall "locks down" the tub at the front, at the correct location for the wheels to be centered in the wheelwells and for the glass to fit correctly. i sanded down the bottom edge of the fascia and thinned it from the backside until the molded in mesh pattern fell free; now there's plenty of room to fit it into the front of the body.

idea: perhaps adding a short (height) strip along the bottom of the rocker panel and painting it an accent color will disguise the dropoff.

My family had a 1977 AMC Hornet that was purchased new. The Gremlin used a short-wheelbase version on the Hornet's basic unibody chassis. I remember the Hornet having a vertical flange that hung below the rocker on each side. I think it was about an inch tall, and there were notches front and rear that were locations for the factory scissor jack. I know it looks kinda goofy on the kit how it hangs down, but it might be correct that way.

It looks like the grille-to-fenders fit issue is a difference in curvature, as the grille appears narrower than the fenders at the top, yet wider at the bottom. I think Dave's solution is the best way to go, unless you want to completely re-do the grille.

Dave, are you planning to add some type of rear wheelhouse? That's the other major missing detail on this kit to my eyes.

Edited by Casey

My boy, Alex, just finished building the new '76 Gremlin kit. It turned out AWESOME. I'll have him post some better pics in the Under Glass section. It's fun watching him at 15 years old.......instead of sweating details, he just jumps right in and gets building! Still a bit of BMF and paint detail left, but it's just about there.

Mike

IMG_3400.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

Edited by Bluzboy66

Nice job. This kit has almost been thrown into a wall a few times. Nothing is close to fitting correctly. One of the sorriest kits I've attempted. But I WILL finish this thing and finish it well. :) Then no more AMT junk for me for a while.

Are you having issues other than those addressed here??? There have been two grille fixes posted here and my chassis fix. I did not get any other fit issues really. It is not a 'modern' kit with fit of the Moebius Hudson....but I am so happy to have it back!!!GREMLINWB3-vi.jpg