Model Cars Magazine Forum

OT with no brands left to destroy GM decides to scuttle itself

Lol I like how everyone for years yelled " Man I wish new cars still looked like the old ones. man those cars had style these new ones don't.... So the Manufacturers try to go retro and get blasted for trying to bring the old styles back... We get mad when they kill the model name we love ... then blast them when they bring said model name back. Are we ever gonna make up our minds what we want ??

Lol I like how everyone for years yelled " Man I wish new cars still looked like the old ones. man those cars had style these new ones don't.... So the Manufacturers try to go retro and get blasted for trying to bring the old styles back... We get mad when they kill the model name we love ... then blast them when they bring said model name back. Are we ever gonna make up our minds what we want ??

I agree it gets old

I agree it gets old

Yeah, same old, same old....I like some retro-modern cars...the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Charger..but there are plenty of modern designs I love like current Cadillacs, BMWs, Benzes...and the timeless ones that evolved like the 911...

Some of the really modern designs I just can't get into because I don't like small FWD cars (Prius, Leaf, Juke, etc).

Yep, that's the generic excuse of an industry running out of ideas. As if aerodynamic efficiency was of primary importance when cars spend 90% of their life below 50 mph. Furthermore, what looks aerodynamic usually isn't.

Agreed Christian...look at my "land yacht" Impala below. The car will achieve 18 MPG on the highway, with a 60s technology big-block. How important was aerodynamics back then?

Oh, and the curb weight is about the same as a new Camaro :o

'We' certainly don't. At least I like to believe that everyone is still entitled to make up his own mind, but that could have changed lately without me having noticed.

I wish they would come up with something new. Something really new. And not just ugly, like they did for the past 15-20 years. Or this retro rubbish.

Edited by Junkman

Guys, the white "Chevelle" car shown is simply a design exercise from 2010 & from what I've read about it, there are no plans to produce it. However GM does has a mystery concept car coming to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this month but according to the PR guy from GM, the mystery concept is a small car and it is unconfirmed as to whether or not it will have the "Chevelle" name. Honestly I think GM is going to come out with something to compete with the 2013 Dodge Dart, call it a hunch but I have a feeling the new Chevy "Mystery Car" will possibly have a "Nova" badge instead of "Chevelle". It would be neat to have a modern Chevelle, sort of like this but hopefully executed better: (Rebody a late model GTO using new '70 Chevelle sheetmetal, thus you have the "2015 Chevelle SS 454 Concept" ):

chevelle08.jpg

ls1454chevelle3456567jp9.png

and with a revised, '70 Style front end:

ls1454chevelle3656tg9.png

thoughts?

Guys, the white "Chevelle" car shown is simply a design exercise from 2010 & from what I've read about it, there are no plans to produce it. However GM does has a mystery concept car coming to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this month but according to the PR guy from GM, the mystery concept is a small car and it is unconfirmed as to whether or not it will have the "Chevelle" name. Honestly I think GM is going to come out with something to compete with the 2013 Dodge Dart, call it a hunch but I have a feeling the new Chevy "Mystery Car" will possibly have a "Nova" badge instead of "Chevelle". It would be neat to have a modern Chevelle, sort of like this but hopefully executed better: (Rebody a late model GTO using new '70 Chevelle sheetmetal, thus you have the "2015 Chevelle SS 454 Concept" ): chevelle08.jpgls1454chevelle3456567jp9.png and with a revised, '70 Style front end: ls1454chevelle3656tg9.png thoughts?

Did Stevie Wonder have anything to do with the design of this car ???

LOL it sure does have a lot of junk in the trunk......... I'd give the owner/builder props for effort but some of the car's proportions are just way off & it just ruins it. I like the front w/ the '70 style headlights, but that rear, well it's just HUGE. It looks more like a '67 Impala than a Chevelle from the rear.

Guys, the white "Chevelle" car shown is simply a design exercise from 2010 & from what I've read about it, there are no plans to produce it. However GM does has a mystery concept car coming to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this month but according to the PR guy from GM, the mystery concept is a small car and it is unconfirmed as to whether or not it will have the "Chevelle" name. Honestly I think GM is going to come out with something to compete with the 2013 Dodge Dart.

The Dart is going to compete w/ the existing Cruze...rumor is that GM will show a Cruze coupe. Those home made GTO 'Chevelles' are hideous...

Hmmmmmm lets see.

Dodge resurrected the 300, Charger, Challenger name plates and sold a heap of them.

Chevy resurrected the Impala and Camaro and sold a heap of them.

Anyone not seeing the pattern here? A VAST majority of the populance doesn't give a rats posterior about the history or "legacy" of a nameplate, they just think, "yeah my dad had one of these" and off they go. And Chevy doesn't either, it's just a marketing ploy. And it'll work.

You guys feel free to be purists or whatever, the world will take no notice. Which I why I don't care about such things any more.

Resurrecting a badge name that the manufacturer owns is economically sound. No name search, etc. Badge recognition is key.

I recall the Jeep Wrangler in the US was called the Jeep YJ in Canada, as GM Canada had a "Wrangler" package on their half ton C1500 pick up...other examples exist I'm sure.

Some liked names don't translate well in other countries. Nova reportedly means "won't go" in Spanish (I don't speak Spanish, so can't say for certain). Again, there are several examples of this, thus similar car has a different name in another country.

Concept and Show cars at SEMA and the large auto shows are mainly about gauging consumer reaction and can be only trial balloons. Sometimes the consumers are enthusiastic about a design, like the Viper, which provides the decision for funds for development to market of a design.

I will not be surprised to see a Chevelle or Nova available in the next few years.

Guest Johnny

From what I've read, the red car shown above is the 2010 concept car that never happened and the white one is the new one.

I believe that is correct.

I think they are taking the same turn Ford decided to take with the next generation Mustang that will have no connections to any past design!

Interesting how a second Google search gave different results. Evidently, the red car above is not a factory concept as I originally learned but, as TurboKitty mentioned, is a custom job done by an independent auto company...

"This custom Chevelle was made by Aloha Auto. They took brand new Pontiac GTO and Chevellefied its body. HRSS454 Chevelle is powered by asphalt-chewing 600 HP engine. Our guess is that most of Chevelle enthusiasts would vote for not continuing Aloha’s planned 40 unit run…

Let’s hope that Chevelle transformations will be much better in the future or Chevelle will be revealed by Chevrolet themselves in near 2011 or 2012."

http://www.amcarguid...hevelle-failed/

Edited by sjordan2

Interesting how a second Google search gave different results. Evidently, the red car above is not a factory concept but is a custom job done by an independent auto company...

It's pretty clear that it's an aftermarket design..pretty cheesy...

The white car was a Chevy concept from 2010..don't think that one is going anywhere.

It will be interesting to see if GM introduces any other 2dr models beyond the current Camaro, Corvette, and Cadillacs....the upcoming '13 Caddy ATS (new compact RWD model on the Alpha platform) will probably have a coupe for '14...the next Camaro is supposed to downsize a bit and move to the Alpha platform as well (the current Camaro is on Zeta which the Commodore, Caprice, and G8 use..)

Edited by Rob Hall

You all think the above is a generic looking ugly car? It's quite well done to tell you the truth.

Now, let me chow you a generic, ugly car with not an ounce of style ... a box on wheels... .........

Actually I find them both bland, generic, woeful and nondescript. You kind of beat me to it, but I was going to say, that GM is currently in a phase of 'don't know where I'm going' like it was in the early to mid sixties. If I'm right, we can hope for truly stunning GM cars in about 5 years hence.