Model Cars Magazine Forum

NNL West V-12 Dry Lakes Style Modified - Completed 02-02

Bernard Kron

NNL West is coming up next month on February 11th. Each year I fly down to the Bay Area and stay with my friend Raul Perez and we go to Santa Clara, Ca. for this very big model car show. With more than 1,100 cars showing the variety and quality is amazing. I bring whatever I’ve gotten built over the previous twelve months and just hope I don’t embarrass myself too badly.

As always, the show has two themes with a special table for models that you may want to be exhibited within one or the other. This year the themes are V-12’s and R.I.P.’s (makes of cars that no longer exist). Raul and our mutual modeling buddy Curt Raitz decided they would build “salt flats” V-12 cars. By “salt flats” they meant lakes cars so, of course, when they invited me to join the fun I couldn’t turn them down. This is my project for the show.

Curt had gotten a “hot rod Lincoln” style V-12 from Early Years Resin so I decided I would order one too. I first considered building a belly tanker, but since I had never built one and it would take a great deal of scratch building, I decided to stay on more familiar ground … sort of. Besides, I was rapidly running out of time.

This will be a dry lakes style single seater “Modified”, based on a narrowed AMT Ala Kart body shell. The frame is scratch built except for the Revell ’29 Ford RPU crossmember. The front and rear suspension are modified from an AMT ’34 Ford 5-window. The interior is a modified Ala Kart bucket with the upholstery re-skinned to resemble a late Forties tuck and roll. The car that inspired this build is the “Spasmodic” modified which I believe t be from the immediate postwar era. But with a suicide front end, the V-12, and the Model A bucket narrowed but otherwise intact, that car is only an inspiration – this is by no means a replica. I plan to do a proper lakes modified more closely resembling the Spasmodic at a later date.

I’ve got less than 4 weeks to get this beast completed so I’d better get moving!

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

The Spasmodic modified, circa 1946 (?):

Spasmodic.jpg

DSCF8970-web.jpg

DSCF8972-web.jpg

DSCF8975-web.jpg

DSCF8952-web.jpg

DSCF8966-web.jpg

DSCF8964-web.jpg

DSCF8956-web.jpg

Edited by Bernard Kron

Thanx everyone!

We're having a big snow storm here in the Pacific Northwest and the temperature has dropped down into the 20's, which is too cold to spray paint (I paint either outdoors or in the garage) so I've been doing the small parts fabrication the build requires, along with finishing up much of the engine.

I made a gas tank out of laminated strips of styrene sanded to shape, then covered in .020 styrene sheet. It'll be body color with foiled straps.

The engine is largely completed, just requiring some detailing of the ignition wires around the magneto, the usual plumbing once it's put away in the chassis, and the inevitable cleanup. The carb stacks were made from 1/8" aluminum tubing. The exhaust pipes are partly done, fabbed from 3/32" styrene tubing. They're in the foreground in the engine pics. They'll run alongside the body to the rear and be finished in stainless steel buffable Metalizer.

I changed my mind regarding the grill and switched to a cut down Deuce shell from an AMT Phantom Vicky kit. I still haven't decided about running an engine cover. Time may determine whether I tackle it before or after the NNL West...

The weather's supposed to warm up starting tonight so it's time to tackle the bodywork and paint. I'm thinking pale yellow with black frame rails and a black and gray interior. I've designed a Lincoln V-12 logo but it may be too strong for such a little car. Once it's painted I'll know...

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF8976-web.jpg

DSCF8985-web.jpg

DSCF8990-web.jpg

Thanx James!!! :)

Things are progressing well. The bodywork is done and the basic paint has been layed down. I removed the door hinges to imply that the doors had been welded shut from the inside. The interior is completed including the floor panel and a dashboard which isn't in the pictures below. The interior has been painted black, but the pleated portion will painted a light gray of some sort.

As I mentioned earlier, I designed a logo for the big Lincoln mill. Using Photoshop I've mocked up the logo on the door panels. They're a bit distorted from the original, but give me pretty good idea what it would look like. It looks good to me so I'm going with it.

Next steps are the assembly of the chassis and suspension, including fabricating the steering and locating arms. Looks like I've got a shot at making my deadline...

Thanx for lookin',

B.

Lincoln-V-12-Logo-web.jpg

DSCF8997-web.jpg

DSCF8995-web.jpg

DSCF8994-web.jpg

Thanx everyone! :)B)

Things are moving a bit more slowly as I’m having to do a few things more than once such as the exhaust pipes, which didn’t clear the body work initially because they were too close to the engine block. Here are some shots showing the car up on its wheels. The narrowness of the body is now more apparent and the overall stance and color scheme are now set. Major issues remaining to be addressed include devising a braking system and fabricating the steering and locating rods. The “decal” is still a Photoshop fake and the exhaust pipes will need to be shortened a bit and finished out in Metalizer.

Thanx for lookin’,

B.

DSCF9044-edit-web.jpg

DSCF9054-web.jpg

DSCF9058-web.jpg

Thanx James. :)

It's only two weeks until the NNL West and "Jake" is thrashing madly on his V-12 powered vintage Dry Lakes Modified to get 'er done in time for the big show...

DSCF9074-web.jpg

Couldn't get it done without him...

I found some nice resin '40 Ford juice brakes in my resin stash. From the packaging and resin I'm guessing they're from Earl Years Resin. Also some vane type shocks courtesy of Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland. The rear suspension is now done. Also got some paint on the headers and the front suspension and steering bits have been cut and painted.

Thanx for lookin',

B.

DSCF9060-web.jpg

DSCF9062-web.jpg

DSCF9072-web.jpg

DSCF9071-web.jpg